Null & Void or an 18 Game Season?

8 minutes ago, theboke said:

Was thinking they may need to split before all teams had caught up with postponed fixtures. In order to stay on schedule for end of season playoffs.

To this outsider it now looks like the most rational way to progress is...

...use Saturdays and Tuesdays OR Thursdays to work through as much of the original 27 game fixtures list as is sensibly possible

...rather than trying to squeeze in a daft number of  games in any given week agree in advance to use PPG as a fair way to decide the season once the final pre playoff matchday is complete no matter how many games each team theoretically has left to complete their respective season

...push back the playoffs by a couple of weeks to enable this and to build in a bit of leeway in case of mishaps and to give LL a chance to produce a champion club.

Bonkers

1 hour ago, theboke said:

Was thinking they may need to split before all teams had caught up with postponed fixtures. In order to stay on schedule for end of season playoffs.

...use Saturdays and Tuesdays OR Thursdays to work through as much of the original 27 game fixtures list as is sensibly possible

...rather than trying to squeeze in a daft number of  games in any given week agree in advance to use PPG as a fair way to decide the season once the final pre playoff matchday is complete no matter how many games each team theoretically has left to complete their respective 27 game season

...push back the playoffs by a couple of weeks to enable this and to build in a bit of leeway in case of mishaps and to give LL a chance to produce a champion club as I assume the LL will be back late April.

The most rational way to progress is to reduce the season to 18 games. It removes any fixture imbalance and should be very easy to complete on time without running players into the ground.

1 hour ago, theboke said:

...rather than trying to squeeze in a daft number of  games in any given week agree in advance to use PPG as a fair way to decide the season once the final pre playoff matchday is complete no matter how many games each team theoretically has left to complete their respective 27 game season

...push back the playoffs by a couple of weeks to enable this and to build in a bit of leeway in case of mishaps and to give LL a chance to produce a champion club as I assume the LL will be back late April.

That is by far the worst scenario I have read on here. And there have been some terrible suggestions.

I find myself in the strange position of agreeing with Doncaster here. 

If (and I haven't see it officially confirmed but it's implied) the clubs have had the OK that promotion and relegation and the normal playoffs will take place after 18 games then that is the option they should go for. 

I can't see how the benefits of 2 extra home games streaming revenue outweigh the risks of the whole thing falling on its arse by trying to cram extra games in. 

I could understand if the clubs had been told they needed to play more than 18 games for promotion & relegation to happen they might be trying to manufacture a way but this current plan seems like madness. 

18 also fairest from footballing perspective, everyone plays each other home and away once, no fixture imbalances. 

10 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I find myself in the strange position of agreeing with Doncaster here. 

If (and I haven't see it officially confirmed but it's implied) the clubs have had the OK that promotion and relegation and the normal playoffs will take place after 18 games then that is the option they should go for. 

I can't see how the benefits of 2 extra home games streaming revenue outweigh the risks of the whole thing falling on its arse by trying to cram extra games in. 

I could understand if the clubs had been told they needed to play more than 18 games for promotion & relegation to happen they might be trying to manufacture a way but this current plan seems like madness. 

18 also fairest from footballing perspective, everyone plays each other home and away once, no fixture imbalances. 

I'd imagine the opposition to 18 is from clubs who are either in relegation trouble or have ground to make up in the title race and want to have more than a handful of games to turn things around.

Exactly. So since the clubs have already agreed that they want to play more than 18 games each...

3 hours ago, theboke said:

Guest The Phoenix
1 hour ago, Donathan said:

I'd imagine the opposition to 18 is from clubs who are either in relegation trouble or have ground to make up in the title race and want to have more than a handful of games to turn things around.

Nail Head Hit - and 8 votes were required to effect change from 27. 

2 minutes ago, DundeeUnited9999 said:

Heard the 22 game has been rejected. Its 18 or Null and Void 

What would you prefer? The Falkirk null and void implosion now or wait and see if they miss out after 18 games and demand to keep playing until they get promoted?

I'm a bird in the hand guy and would vote for null and void, but it'll be 18 if what you say is accurate.

33 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

What would you prefer? The Falkirk null and void implosion now or wait and see if they miss out after 18 games and demand to keep playing until they get promoted?

I'm a bird in the hand guy and would vote for null and void, but it'll be 18 if what you say is accurate.

There is a rumour circulating that the Championship has also rejected the notion of the other divs playing 18 games, with a view to the play offs.

Guest The Phoenix
40 minutes ago, DundeeUnited9999 said:

Heard the 22 game has been rejected. Its 18 or Null and Void 

I’d get those voices in your head checked out if I were you. 

The plan for the Championship is to play a sensible number of games within the actual allotted season, thus ensuring that there is not a substantial backlog of games by the final couple of weeks of season. Then, I'd guess, they would extend the season by a couple of weeks if they absolutely had to as a worst case scenario.
Neither of those things is being made possible by the League 1/2 proposal. There will be loads of games in the final weeks of the season, meaning that any covid outbreak would affect several fixtures, and they would already have extended the season by a couple of weeks to fit in these extra fixtures, thus making it impossible to have a further extension.
This 22 game plan is very close to unworkable, and therefore if the League 1/2 sides are determined to plough on with it anyway, then it is up to them to show exactly how they plan to deal with these issues, because the issues are entirely of their own making.

How many covid postponements have there been. There were a few at the start of the season with Kilmarnock, Aberdeen, St Mirren and Celtic in the Premiership. During Oct to Dec, at the height of the spread, I don’t remember any in the premiership, maybe one or two in the Championship and the same in L1 & L2.
We are now in an improving environment with us now in Spring and vaccinations reducing the impact.

The risk of disruption is pretty small, but the message from SPFL seems to portray a situation where every PT club will be playing 4 times in 8 days.

If there is a will, nothing is impossible.

16 minutes ago, Big Dougie said:

There is a rumour circulating that the Championship has also rejected the notion of the other divs playing 18 games, with a view to the play offs.

18 games makes most sense except that the clubs involved don't seem to have an agreement on it but have reached agreement on a longer season of 22 or originally 27 games each.

18 games each could also lack credibility since it's just one game more than a void season. So maybe that's where Championship clubs are coming from. The SPFL board might have to have a word with them about it since the board seemed to be content with 18 games each.

Edited by theboke

Damned either way.
Play 18 games, the championship moan that it's NO FAIR that L1 get to play 18 when we have to play 27.
Play 22 games, the championship moan that it's NO FAIR that they have to wait a fortnight for the playoffs.

Its fairly obvious that the Championship would be just peachy with null and void for L1 and 2. Well, L1 anyway, they probably couldn't give a shit about L2.

You should work for the SPFL. That kind of "thinking" would fit in well there. Starting on the 20th would give you 13 matchdays if you play Saturday midweek Saturday. The most anyone has played is 11, so immediately theres no way that you'd finish, and all you'd be doing is benefiting the team who were due to play the top of the league teams in the last 3 weeks.

16 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

How many covid postponements have there been. There were a few at the start of the season with Kilmarnock, Aberdeen, St Mirren and Celtic in the Premiership. During Oct to Dec, at the height of the spread, I don’t remember any in the premiership, maybe one or two in the Championship and the same in L1 & L2.
We are now in an improving environment with us now in Spring and vaccinations reducing the impact.

The risk of disruption is pretty small, but the message from SPFL seems to portray a situation where every PT club will be playing 4 times in 8 days.

Argument weakened by 2 postponements in the Championship over the past few days.

34 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

2 in 5 days this week 

Playing a compressed schedule means it's highly unlikely Covid postponement knock out one game. Could be as many as 3 

Edited by invergowrie arab

36 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:
5 hours ago, theboke said:

You should work for the SPFL. That kind of "thinking" would fit in well there. Starting on the 20th would give you 13 matchdays if you play Saturday midweek Saturday. The most anyone has played is 11, so immediately theres no way that you'd finish, and all you'd be doing is benefiting the team who were due to play the top of the league teams in the last 3 weeks.

That sounds about as good as it gets.

There's already past agreement on attempting 27 games each. No agreement yet on an 18 game version that may be controversial. There's the precedent of last season for PPG to even out inequities.

Just press on with fixtures as they were.

Except maybe postpone playoffs just to build in some slack and give the LL a fair chance to complete as far as they can also.

Good enough might be all there is.

Edited by theboke

9 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

2 in 5 days this week 

Playing a compressed schedule means it's highly unlikely Covid postponement knock out one game. Could be as many as 3 

Which is why if clubs are hell bent on this idiotic 22 split idea, forfeits for any covid postponements have to be enforced. Presume that has to be agreed upon too, which will take another 5 days 😴