Null & Void or an 18 Game Season?

I dislike the Premiership split as much as the next person, but here it seems to be a good compromise.

If playing 27 matches is unfeasible but 18 is deemed not enough to be fair,  I think it's a rare example of clubs managing to think outside the box and come to a solution everyone is happy with.

When I first read the article I didn't think the split was too bad an idea, but if the play offs are still going ahead then with a league split, you could end up with a scenario where a team finishing 4th (a play off spot) could have less points than the team in 6th. And I would absolutely predict that'll end up happening to open another huge can of Scottish Football worms. 

An option is changing the play offs this year to 9th v 2nd as a straight final but would never get voted through. I've never understood why a team finishing 4th in a 10 team league should get a shot at promotion anyway. 

Edited by C. Muir

4 minutes ago, C. Muir said:

When I first read the article I didn't think the split was too bad an idea, but if the play offs are still going ahead then with a league split, you could end up with a scenario where a team finishing 4th (a play off spot) could have less points than the team in 6th. And I would absolutely predict that'll end up happening to open another huge can of Scottish Football worms. 

An option is changing the play offs this year to 9th v 2nd as a straight final. I've never understood why a team finishing 4th in a 10 team league should get a shot at promotion anyway. 

Pretty clear Clyde haven’t been in the premiership for more than 20 years 😂😂

1 minute ago, C. Muir said:

😂😂😂👌👌

Your scenario has happened regularly in the prem. It doesn’t really matter because post split it’s effectively 2 different divisions with nothing happening in one impacting the other.

However this plan seems a bit silly. Also absolutely bonkers that they’ve left it up til now to talk through these things. Lazy incompetence from everyone involved (yes, including falkirk).

Guest Peter LaFleur

“The SPFL’s preference is for us to complete an 18 game season and we understand why - it is the easiest option, with potentially less pressure on the fixture schedule”

Well get the split idea into the fucking sea then.

8 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Daily Record ‘reporting’ that it’s a 6:4 split. Would that not mean 23 games for the top half and 21 for the bottom?
Whatever is the thinking here?....emoji848.png

no it would mean after 18 games it be a 5/5 split im sure so a team is idle every week in both splits and basic you could have a team in 4th have less pts than 6th

The full joint statement from League 1 & 2 clubs:

“With the enforced suspension of our leagues finally over, our focus is now on returning to play. There has been a lot of damaging speculation and misinformation about our two leagues and our direction of travel. This statement should make our position clear.

“Today, as a united group of 20 clubs, we have advised the SPFL that we plan to resume our season on 20th March, with an immediate return to training this week while complying with the testing regime. With regret, we accept that a 27 game season is no longer open to us due to the timing of the return.

“We have spoken twice to Neil Doncaster in the last two days to discuss the options open to us in terms of the fixture schedule. The SPFL’s preference is for us to complete an 18 game season and we understand why – it is the easiest option, with potentially less pressure on the fixture schedule and no need to make any changes to the length of the season.

“However, the consensus amongst the 20 clubs is that a 22 league season is the preference, with a split in each league after 18 games, followed by 4 further games. It allows a competitive end to the season that our fans are keen to see and we want to participate in. We received money to test and to allow us to keep playing and that is what we want to do, not just run down the clock to the end of the season.

“The issue of player welfare is always a priority for us.  But even with the demands of a tightened schedule, players have made it clear that they want to play. Covid may also play its part but with the same testing regime and protocols as the Championship and Premiership, we are in no worse a position than they are.

“To complete a 22 game season will mean extending the season to fulfil all fixtures, including those that may have to be rescheduled. But this is possible without impacting on anyone other than club 21 (9th in the Championship) who may have to wait a maximum of 2 more weeks for the play offs.

“With all that has happened to Leagues 1 & 2 and noting that it is in the gift of the SPFL Board to grant a short extension, as almost 50% of the SPFL, we want them to see them work, with an increased sense of urgency, to find a way to make that happen.

“As a group with common purpose, we worked together to produce the original proposal that got us back playing. It’s disappointing the time it has taken to act on it, but we have been greatly encouraged by the support and solidarity from other clubs and their supporters at the perceived unfairness of the situation we find ourselves through no fault of our own.

“We are now calling on the SPFL to do everything in their power to work with us to overcome the perceived obstacles of a 22 game season, which all have solutions, and hope they will respond accordingly. We must achieve a workable solution for clubs, players and fans by having a season of an appropriate length, even if that means the SPFL making some concessions to accommodate that in what has been another challenging season for clubs.”

There's absolutely no explanation here of why a 22 game season is desirable and an 18 game season isn't. 

If we were in a situation where it was impossible to finish the season with a reasonable number of games and an extension of a couple of weeks was necessary to get enough games played then that'd make sense and no one could reasonably argue with that.

Here they're asking for an extension just because they'd prefer to play more than 18 games, with no explanation of why 18 games is ìnadequate. That doesn’t make any sense. It's collective insanity on the part of the clubs.

6 minutes ago, Peter LaFleur said:

“The SPFL’s preference is for us to complete an 18 game season and we understand why - it is the easiest option, with potentially less pressure on the fixture schedule”

Well get the split idea into the fucking sea then.

Then who is going to support part time clubs to complete a season with 4/5 fewer home games than budgeted and with extra testing costs, with no guarantee that normality will resume in the SPFL from July?

Playing eighteen games in total makes no rational economic sense to the vast majority of clubs: they'd be better off with null and void. I suspect that's part of the reason why a split is being peddled. 

Just now, bairn88 said:

Your scenario has happened regularly in the prem. It doesn’t really matter because post split it’s effectively 2 different divisions with nothing happening in one impacting the other.

However this plan seems a bit silly. Also absolutely bonkers that they’ve left it up til now to talk through these things. Lazy incompetence from everyone involved (yes, including falkirk).

Aye I knew it's happened before in the Premiership, should've added that to my post. My can of worms point was more a team finishing 6th having more points than 4th would still get people talking, whether they're aware it's effectively different divisions or not. After all we still have "journalists" who think Brechin avoided automatic relegation last year due to the pandemic when infact it was a play-off. 

The split makes absolutely no sense if they are continuing with the standard playoff format after that. The split is effectively playoffs.

Split, but then 2nd v 9th in the Championship as the sole playoff.

Or do the right thing and just can the whole charade.

Presumably they could have an obligation for the team from the bottom half of League 1, who is out of action on a matchday, to play the 9th placed team in the Championship to keep them sharp?

I'm sure I speak for everyone on here when I say "Today, as a united group of 20 clubs" is the most surprising statement seen in quite a while.

11 minutes ago, C. Muir said:

Aye I knew it's happened before in the Premiership, should've added that to my post. My can of worms point was more a team finishing 6th having more points than 4th would still get people talking, whether they're aware it's effectively different divisions or not. After all we still have "journalists" who think Brechin avoided automatic relegation last year due to the pandemic when infact it was a play-off. 

Possibly, but haven’t the stakes been even higher in the prem? Eg 4th getting into Europe years ago where a team who finished 7th could feasibly be ahead of them or not far behind. Unlikely but possible? I’m just not sure it would open any real can of worms.

More I think of this split idea though the worse it gets. Makes very little sense compared to an 18 game season and has gone down like a lead balloon amongst fans who they probably thought would be right behind it. If that’s the best they can come up with after 2 days (or 11 weeks) of extremely urgent meetings then they deserve f**k all and it should be canned.

Edited by bairn88

10 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

The full joint statement from League 1 & 2 clubs:

There's absolutely no explanation here of why a 22 game season is desirable and an 18 game season isn't. 

If we were in a situation where it was impossible to finish the season with a reasonable number of games and an extension of a couple of weeks was necessary to get enough games played then that'd make sense and no one could reasonably argue with that.

Here they're asking for an extension just because they'd prefer to play more than 18 games, with no explanation of why 18 games is ìnadequate. That doesn’t make any sense. It's collective insanity on the part of the clubs.

I assume their attempt at a reason is the sentence “it allows a competitive end to the season that our fans want to see.”

I’m not certain on how 18 games doesn’t do that, but whatever. I’d imagine it basically boils down to “this’ll let us get some more money through streaming” and little else.

Not really into this split idea at all but fair play to the 20 clubs for getting a united front so quickly on an issue that I was sure was going to lead to further chaos, although still expect some of the Championship clubs to bleat about how unfair this all is on them. 

20 minutes ago, David W said:

Presumably they could have an obligation for the team from the bottom half of League 1, who is out of action on a matchday, to play the 9th placed team in the Championship to keep them sharp?

This is a good idea.

Yes, there will be cretins who don't understand it. However, choosing a less desirable system solely to pander to idiots is a terrible idea.