Null & Void or an 18 Game Season?

I don't have an issue as such with having to play a midweek game at Keith, beyond the persistent nagging annoyance that I'll not even be able to see members of my family at that time. However, it should be moved to a ground where it can be streamed live.

25 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Is your point that part time players need to travel midweek? 

we are still in a pandemic albeit hopefully heading in right direction but pandemic all the same.

As I said there is a match cancelled on Friday due to infection within a football club. 
my point therefore is that there is no need to play the Scottish cup at all this season, certainly not within next 2 weeks. Needless risk, as I say Highland league is not even got go ahead yet to play! 

So, assuming that the league could resume on say Saturday 20th March, that would give 7 weekends taking you up to 1st May, but you need a minimum of 12 matchdays for this stupid split nonsense. Youd need to push out the end of the season to the 8th, and play 4 of the available midweek, but Clyde still have to fit in another 3 league games which would mean playing Saturday and Tuesday for the rest of the season. That doesnt allow for cup games either.
You could push the playoffs back another week and get another couple of days on on 11th and 15th May, but the Championship will probably kick up a stink about having to wait too long for the playoffs.
Just let's have 18 games, no bloody split, and we might actually be able to come to a sensible conclusion.

Guest Peter LaFleur
10 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:

So, assuming that the league could resume on say Saturday 20th March, that would give 7 weekends taking you up to 1st May, but you need a minimum of 12 matchdays for this stupid split nonsense. Youd need to push out the end of the season to the 8th, and play 4 of the available midweek, but Clyde still have to fit in another 3 league games which would mean playing Saturday and Tuesday for the rest of the season. That doesnt allow for cup games either.
You could push the playoffs back another week and get another couple of days on on 11th and 15th May, but the Championship will probably kick up a stink about having to wait too long for the playoffs.
Just let's have 18 games, no bloody split, and we might actually be able to come to a sensible conclusion.

Agreed. The splits madness to me. Fairest and most practical way would be to play every team home and away once.

36 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

we are still in a pandemic albeit hopefully heading in right direction but pandemic all the same.

As I said there is a match cancelled on Friday due to infection within a football club. 
my point therefore is that there is no need to play the Scottish cup at all this season, certainly not within next 2 weeks. Needless risk, as I say Highland league is not even got go ahead yet to play! 

They have in the Scottish Cup.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Probably one for the PTTGOYN thread but why do we insist on calling the quarter finals the fifth round? Does my tits in. 

The English always seem to have called their quarter-finals the Sixth Round.

Probably another case of hanging on their naming coat-tails. (See; Championship and Leagues 1 and 2.)

Edited by rockson

Why would Peterhead, Dumbarton and Clyde vote to give Forfar more opportunity to pick up points (and potentially have the important second home match), or Falkirk vote to play more games (against the tougher teams in the league)?

9 minutes ago, David W said:

Why would Peterhead, Dumbarton and Clyde vote to give Forfar more opportunity to pick up points (and potentially have the important second home match), or Falkirk vote to play more games (against the tougher teams in the league)?

Because 27 games is the default position, there doesn't need to be a vote to agree on that. Any shortened season (18 or 22), N&V or a PPG type curtailment would require 80% agreement. But if they don't vote through any such agreement, the SPFL will give a 27 game fixture list and it will be up to the individual clubs to fulfil those fixtures.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Because 27 games is the default position, there doesn't need to be a vote to agree on that. Any shortened season (18 or 22), N&V or a PPG type curtailment would require 80% agreement. But if they don't vote through any such agreement, the SPFL will give a 27 game fixture list and it will be up to the individual clubs to fulfil those fixtures.

I know all of that.

I'm referring to the earlier post which suggested that 22 games would be viewed more favourably than 18 because it suits Forfar.

If they do go for 18 games (which is the sensible option imo), I personally think the Championship playoffs should be changed to resemble the Premiership playoffs, with 4th vs. 3rd, winner vs. 2nd, winner of that vs. 9th in Championship. Not that I'm wanting to hinder natural promotion/relegation stuff, just think with the extra games Championship sides will be playing in that scenario that it's a fair leveller.

I'm sure this take will be hated by fans of those in a play-off scrap, and I'm welcome to it. Trust me, I wish the Premiership play-offs were the same format as the Championship one currently is.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

I'm sure I read somewhere it could be after midnight before some players would be getting home following post-training testing.

I don’t get this. It takes about 30 seconds to do the test. If it is done after training, they don’t need to hang about to get the result.

3 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

If they do go for 18 games (which is the sensible option imo), I personally think the Championship playoffs should be changed to resemble the Premiership playoffs, with 4th vs. 3rd, winner vs. 2nd, winner of that vs. 9th in Championship. Not that I'm wanting to hinder natural promotion/relegation stuff, just think with the extra games Championship sides will be playing in that scenario that it's a fair leveller.

I'm sure this take will be hated by fans of those in a play-off scrap, and I'm welcome to it. Trust me, I wish the Premiership play-offs were the same format as the Championship one currently is.

Nah, I don't think there's any reasonable grounds to change it. Aside from it being unfair to change the format mid-season, if you were having 4th v 3rd then the winner v 2nd before involving the 9th placed Championship side then you're creating a new problem in the schedule again in needing an extra week for that.

I don't think there’s any need to give an extra bit of help to the Championship club in that scenario, and I don't see League One clubs having had an enforced break from January to mid-March as a notable disadvantage to the Championship club anyway.

If League One can finish on time for the playoffs as scheduled then they go ahead in their existing format. That should be done with little difficulty with an 18 game season, but the nonsense idea of a split jeopardises it. 27 obviously can't happen, why complicate things by going for some bizarre 22 game format that also leads to an imbalance of fixtures again while making the schedule extremely tight, risking being unable to finish on time if there are further postponements?

22 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Ian McCall embarrassing himself then. There is no chance this season gets extended well into June without play-offs being scrapped. So unless McCall is happy to give up a play-off place then he should sit down.

There's not a chance clubs didn't know what testing would cost them. We already have clubs testing their players and staff, I really don't understand how any club can't be aware of the costs. If anyone has said they'll test as some sort of bluff, the bluff should be called. 

Only a narcissist would think someone has no right to an opinion. Fine, you don't agree with his suggestion, just cos you don't agree doesn't mean he's not entitled to opinion. Silly boy. Grow up.

23 minutes ago, banditjag said:

Only a narcissist would think someone has no right to an opinion. Fine, you don't agree with his suggestion, just cos you don't agree doesn't mean he's not entitled to opinion. Silly boy. Grow up.

He's got a right to an opinion, just like I have a right to say his opinion is a load of shite. 

Edited by The Moonster

15 hours ago, Forest_Fifer said:

I love the split in the Premiership, even though I seem to be in the minority.  But shoe-horning one in here looks like it'll be more trouble than it's worth.  There's no way we can do 27, so just play 18.