Null & Void or an 18 Game Season?

3 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

From a semi- outsider looking in I really want to see both league 1 and 2 played to a finish. Whether that’s an 18 game or a 27 game season remains to be seen. All 20 clubs have advised they want to continue and agreed to start regular testing so I really don’t see the issue.

From an Ayr United POV who are by no means clear of relegation I’d much rather get relegated if we finish 9th (and lose in playoffs)  or 10th than saved due to COVID. 

The flaw in that is a 'finish' is the 36 games everyone planned for in terms of constructing budgets and sticking to them why setting up squads, not some arbitrary number decided in March because we are running out of time. It wasn't right last season, and it will not be right this season. The clubs bear responsibility for not agreeing a 'plan B' in August last year in case this happened, but having abdicated their responsibility to do so they will now all fight it out to suit each individual agenda. No doubt followed by some lively club statements about unfairness. 

Leadership is what Scottish football needs before any re-structuring.

6 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

The flaw in that is a 'finish' is the 36 games everyone planned for in terms of constructing budgets and sticking to them why setting up squads, not some arbitrary number decided in March because we are running out of time. It wasn't right last season, and it will not be right this season. The clubs bear responsibility for not agreeing a 'plan B' in August last year in case this happened, but having abdicated their responsibility to do so they will now all fight it out to suit each individual agenda. No doubt followed by some lively club statements about unfairness. 

Leadership is what Scottish football needs before any re-structuring.

In August, nobody could have foreseen precisely how things would turn out. A 'Plan B' to sort out any unknown scenario would have been impossible. They would have needed Plans B, C, D, E, F etc.. The clubs did not abdicate their responsibility. They refused to give the SPFL carte blanche to impose a solution without further scrutiny. After the debacle of last season, I don't blame them. Of course clubs will vote to suit their own agenda. The board of any company has a duty to do so. 

In August, nobody could have foreseen precisely how things would turn out. A 'Plan B' to sort out any unknown scenario would have been impossible. They would have needed Plans B, C, D, E, F etc.. The clubs did not abdicate their responsibility. They refused to give the SPFL carte blanche to impose a solution without further scrutiny. After the debacle of last season, I don't blame them. Of course clubs will vote to suit their own agenda. The board of any company has a duty to do so. 

Disagree. All the scientists were talking about the winter being worse than the 1st wave.

18 minutes ago, Arnold Layne said:

I don't agree. A framework was possible. For example, if 18 games have been played use PPG , and if not then null and void. That means everyone knows before they start. Multiple options were not required.

23 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

I don't agree. A framework was possible. For example, if 18 games have been played use PPG , and if not then null and void. That means everyone knows before they start. Multiple options were not required.

You have just outlined multiple options.

So, all teams but one play at least 18 games. The one team that has played 17 is top of the league. Null and void.

6 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Nothings been declared so we're still mid season and it looks like every club is committed to trying to finish it. 

Whats your restructuring proposal?

Clearly nothing has been declared. The season is unlikely to finish at the rate we are going. To finish it after 18 games and run with promotion and relegation would be a farce and completely unfair. Then again, nothing would surprise me.

If you read my initial post you'll see my thoughts. Bigger leagues and playing each other twice a season instead of four.  I mean, who wants to play Dumbarton 4 times a season? Allow more clubs in and stick with the pyramid system which is about the only positive in the current set up.

1 minute ago, Stevo Fife said:

Clearly nothing has been declared. The season is unlikely to finish at the rate we are going. To finish it after 18 games and run with promotion and relegation would be a farce and completely unfair. Then again, nothing would surprise me.

If you read my initial post you'll see my thoughts. Bigger leagues and playing each other twice a season instead of four.  I mean, who wants to play Dumbarton 4 times a season? Allow more clubs in and stick with the pyramid system which is about the only positive in the current set up.

Bigger leagues is a bit vague.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

14 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Lol, you guys play out of Methil m8.

I fail to see the relevance of your point m9. I wasn't having a dig at Dumbarton. Merely pointing out 4 games a season against Dumbartion, Clyde whoever is tedious.

Mwah x

17 minutes ago, Stevo Fife said:

"Oh dear"?  

3 divisions. Unlikely the top tier would change due to bigot brothers.

Math, really?

Anyway, you're suggesting  permutations for the remaining 30. 3 divisions of 10 is a wee bit similar to what we have. One of 14 and one of 16. Maybe you're inviting more clubs, how many? 2 to make 2x16.

Help me understand.

Eta. I've re read that. You mean 3 divisions for all clubs. What split would allow only playing twice?

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

Why is it unfair to have promotion and relegation after everyone has played each other home and away?

6 hours ago, banditjag said:

Is that what should've happened last season then? Surely there has been a precedent set. Perhaps not given how shite the management of the leagues are.

Not necessarily. The situation was different, more games played, no-one knowing if the season could finish or when a restart would be. There is now more likelihood of things being more "normal"  come July (when the 2021-2022 season would start in non-Covid circumstances)  so better chance of getting things going again then. In the meantime we have no idea when restrictions will be lifted and the 2020-2021 season resume. 18 game is still the best option if it can happen but if not why not consider roll-over?

3 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:

Do the math. Each team plays each other twice.

The word this side of the Atlantic is maths.

(In any case despite the way it's used the phrase should be "do the arithmetic." That's what you are doing when adding and then dividing. )