Null & Void or an 18 Game Season?

2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

A one up one down with no play-offs will surely never get enough approval? It has to be financially worth playing out the rest of the season, if there is only 1 promotion spot then there is no reason whatsoever for about 5 or 6 teams per league to bother playing on, and doubtful for another 2 or 3. Most would be choosing to risk being relegated for no potential reward and probably make a big loss into the bargain.

With the play-offs and the league standings as they are there might be enough clubs fancying a shot at the play-offs to see it as worthwhile. But I agree with the people saying that the cost of testing is probably their way of saying they don't think it is worth it. It's not that they can't afford testing, it's probably just that they feel by continuing the season they will face huge costs for no reward - it's perfectly understandable.

Loss aversion is an important concept associated with prospect theory and is encapsulated in the expression “losses loom larger than gains” (Kahneman & Tversky, 1979). It is thought that the pain of losing is psychologically about twice as powerful as the pleasure of gaining.

Why would Dumbarton and Peterhead risk relegation (they are not in those positions now) in a severely truncated season with only a small chance of getting near a promotion place? The cost of dropping is enormous - we know only too well.

I am not sure there are enough cold and hard reasons for clubs to really want to start again. Players can stay on furlough, costs can be minimised, budgets protected for next season.  Players who go out of contract will think twice about playing beyond that date in case they get injured and lose a new contract for next season. There will be some who see benefit, but perhaps too many who do not. 

Edited by SouthLanarkshireWhite

Roman bairn:

On 25/02/2021 at 14:32, roman_bairn said:

The only club that were also seriously put out were ourselves, and whilst we released a statement about our concerns we accepted the situation and just got on with it.

Roman bairn 12 (TWELVE) months after taking it on the chin and getting on with things:

16 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

What you mean like last season when Raith got 2 home games out of three and were promoted on that basis?

7 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Loss aversion is an important concept associated with prospect theory and is encapsulated in the expression “losses loom larger than gains” (Kahneman & Tversky, 1979). It is thought that the pain of losing is psychologically about twice as powerful as the pleasure of gaining.

Why would Dumbarton and Peterhead risk relegation (they are not in those positions now) in a severely truncated season with only a small chance of getting near a promotion place? The cost of dropping is enormous - we know only too well.

I am not sure there are enough cold and hard reasons for clubs to really want to start again. Players can stay on furlough, costs can be minimised, budgets protected for next season.  Players who go out of contract will think twice about playing beyond that date in case they get injured and lose a new contract for next season. There will be some who see benefit, but perhaps too many who do not. 

You would need 8/10 clubs in both divisions to agree to a N&V. If this isn't the case then any club who wants to mothball should be considered to have failed to fulfil their fixtures and given a 3-0 defeat.

As an absolute minimum Falkirk, Cove, Airdrie, Montrose, Partick, Queen's Park, Elgin, Stranrear and Stirling Albion will be wanting to play.

4 minutes ago, Donathan said:

You would need 8/10 clubs in both divisions to agree to a N&V. If this isn't the case then any club who wants to mothball should be considered to have failed to fulfil their fixtures and given a 3-0 defeat.

As an absolute minimum Falkirk, Cove, Airdrie, Montrose, Partick, Queen's Park, Elgin, Stranrear and Stirling Albion will be wanting to play.

So 27 games then. Plus cup ties. From late March approximately.

Otherwise to your point do you not need 8/10 clubs to agree to anything else?

31 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

What you mean like last season when Raith got 2 home games out of three and were promoted on that basis?
Cue the usual mob emoji6.png

How did the league table look when both sides had played the same number of home games?

Edited by CALDERON

3 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Dumbarton released a statement last night "welcoming" the news about a restart and said we'd get back to training the second the decision was approved. I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if we were putting out optimistic statements about getting going again and then looking to null and void behind the scenes. 

1 minute ago, roman_bairn said:

Now hold on.
Do tell me what part of it I stated is factually incorrect or how my view (which is not actually stated) means that my CLUB have not got on with it?
Desperation.....

We've been over why that statement was wrong, I'm not spelling it out for you again. Are you saying your club have taken it on the chin but you haven't and that's why you're still whining like a wee bitch about it?

We've been over why that statement was wrong, I'm not spelling it out for you again. Are you saying your club have taken it on the chin but you haven't and that's why you're still whining like a wee bitch about it?

Nope. Sad that you continue to bicker on like a broken record, as I’ve already stated many times now that Raith were rightly promoted.
However the statement made remains a statement of fact....

4 hours ago, virginton said:

I doubt that there are clubs who *can't afford* to test, but it's not demonstrably in the best financial interests of most clubs to do so. There's still no firm exit from restrictions on crowds yet - clubs at all levels should be at least be making some provision in case BCD remains/returns for at least a short time in 21/22. 

The difference between now and January most likely comes down to who was doing the pushing to continue at that time and a more rational cost-benefit analysis being applied, now that they're detached from the competition. 

Personally I don't think it's really the cost issue but more a logistical nightmare for the part time teams to fit in testing along with possibly 2 games a week and training as well.  I think the reality of it has now just sunk in. 

By all accounts Arbroath find it hard going doing the testing with one game a week . 

45 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Personally I don't think it's really the cost issue but more a logistical nightmare for the part time teams to fit in testing along with possibly 2 games a week and training as well.  I think the reality of it has now just sunk in. 

By all accounts Arbroath find it hard going doing the testing with one game a week . 

I'm sure I read somewhere it could be after midnight before some players would be getting home following post-training testing.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Probably one for the PTTGOYN thread but why do we insist on calling the quarter finals the fifth round? Does my tits in. 

It used to be the 6th Round until this year, but yes I agree.

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

How did the league table look when both sides had played the same number of home games?

Aye this i'm fed up of hearing our fans crying about what happened last year. We had our chance at going top of the league in March 2020 and we crapped the bed. Move on as we only have ourselves to blame for not winning the league that year.

38 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:

New dates for the 2020-21 Scottish Cup have been confirmed.

Second Round: Tuesday, 23 March
Third Round: Saturday, 3 April
Fourth Round: Saturday, 17 April
Fifth Round: Saturday, 24 April
Semi-Finals: 8 & 9 May
Final: Saturday, 22 May

#ScottishCup
https://t.co/1lnupVHxIK

Absolute madness, A Championship game now postponed for Friday and they now expect part time teams, in our case 100 plus miles all the way to Keith and back mid week to play a team whose league has not restated. Players then back at work next day! 
Absolutely no need for this, I actually think the only reason they want L1 and 2 restarting is to play Scottish cup and SFA get the big final in May!

The reason they want League 1 and League 2 restarting is that the clubs in those leagues have repeatedly requested it ever since they stopped. If Clyde don't want to play Keith and to earn the fairly substantial prize money that goes along with Scottish Cup progression, then I'm sure they are welcome to forfeit the tie.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The reason they want League 1 and League 2 restarting is that the clubs in those leagues have repeatedly requested it ever since they stopped. If Clyde don't want to play Keith and to earn the fairly substantial prize money that goes along with Scottish Cup progression, then I'm sure they are welcome to forfeit the tie.

That wasn’t my point.