Null & Void or an 18 Game Season?

24 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

What about another team (full time and has one F in it) that might like the insurance of a few extra games to recover from any daft losses they might have?

I think it’s fair to say we don’t....

and please never use the term ‘One F’ on this forum again.

So we are a few days out from the season restarting and we are still none the wiser if the season will be 18 or 22 games? I don’t like the 22 game idea, considering that play offs will still need to be played. 18 games is fine and then we can get this season in the bin.

If my math is correct, East Fife could potentially play 18 games if we played a 22 game season and make the play-offs (relegation or promotion) as well as a Scottish Cup tie. Asking professional players to play those many games in a short space of time having not kicked a ball in weeks wouldn’t be accepted so why should part time players have to?

So we are a few days out from the season restarting and we are still none the wiser if the season will be 18 or 22 games? I don’t like the 22 game idea, considering that play offs will still need to be played. 18 games is fine and then we can get this season in the bin.

You could be none the wiser if it’s going to be 18 or 22 in mid-April. It could look like everyone is going to be caught up, a Clyde player tests positive for Covid and suddenly the final game is in three days time and Clyde just happen to have got out of 9th a day or two beforehand. This is what the clubs want.

If my math is correct, East Fife could potentially play 18 games if we played a 22 game season and make the play-offs (relegation or promotion) as well as a Scottish Cup tie. Asking professional players to play those many games in a short space of time having not kicked a ball in weeks wouldn’t be accepted so why should part time players have to?

17 part time clubs plus Falkirk, Partick and Queen’s Park have explicitly asked for this, against the advice of the SPFL. The crocodile tears from managers when players are dropping like flies and they can barely get a team together should be ignored.

Cowdenbeath manager Gary Bollan says this season's Scottish League Two campaign should have been declared null and void. (Courier - subscription required)

If I was manager of a club performing so spectacularly badly after 3 years in charge, I'd be keeping my mouth firmly shut. 

15 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

They said something about 22 games allowing for a ‘competitive end to the season that fans want to see’ in that joint statement a while ago, but they’ve, to my knowledge, never explained how it achieves that, or how 18 games would fail to achieve that.

I can see that with a split.  I know they're not popular, but I've always found them great with having to play the teams around you.  That first relegation split we were involved in where one Saturday saw every club in danger at some point (think we beat Hearts 4-2) was undeniably exciting.  But, I don't know how exciting a split is going to be when we're down to bare bones squads of players already on their 4th game of the week.  

Plus it's going to be a bit of a riddy when that "exciting and competitive end" to the season ends up being nothing because of inevitable postponements.  Just get this season over with.  I doubt anyone will be looking back on it fondly when - hopefully - we're all sitting in our respective stadiums at the start of next.

I can see that with a split.  I know they're not popular, but I've always found them great with having to play the teams around you.  That first relegation split we were involved in where one Saturday saw every club in danger at some point (think we beat Hearts 4-2) was undeniably exciting.  But, I don't know how exciting a split is going to be when we're down to bare bones squads of players already on their 4th game of the week.  
Plus it's going to be a bit of a riddy when that "exciting and competitive end" to the season ends up being nothing because of inevitable postponements.  Just get this season over with.  I doubt anyone will be looking back on it fondly when - hopefully - we're all sitting in our respective stadiums at the start of next.
I'm a big fan of the Premiership split, but a League One or Two split could easily have two teams playing each other four times in four weeks. The playoffs basically do the job of the split anyway. I'm not sure it's something fans would want medium term.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

The statement from the SPFL was all you could expect regarding the exciting end. Saying "it'll be shite and will probably go tits up within a fortnight and it's all their fault" probably wouldn't have gone down well.

35 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
1 hour ago, forameus said:

I'm a big fan of the Premiership split, but a League One or Two split could easily have two teams playing each other four times in four weeks. The playoffs basically do the job of the split anyway. I'm not sure it's something fans would want medium term.

Yeah, that's fair enough.  I think it probably would throw up some interesting games, even if they're repeated.  Say Falkirk and one other are fighting it out for the title, another game between those two as a title decider would be great, especially in the (very unlikely) event that we get some degree of fans in at that time of the season.  Same with relegation, or getting into the playoffs.

But that's of course assuming that all those battles won't be decided and we're just playing out 4 unwanted games with players that can barely stand up.  Academic though I'd imagine, as they've sensibly planned for the alternative which surely will end up happening.

6 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The statement from the SPFL was all you could expect regarding the exciting end. Saying "it'll be shite and will probably go tits up within a fortnight and it's all their fault" probably wouldn't have gone down well.

Oh I don't know, I'd have quite liked the honesty.

On 11/02/2021 at 23:01, FFC 1876 said:

Quite interested to see what the fans opinions are given that null & void looks a certainty right now. Would null & void suit your club? Or would you rather keep some sort of sporting integrity and have an 18 game season?

And the answer is in... neither.

Or maybe the latter, depending on what happens.

20/03/2021 East Fife SL1 H 3:00pm - - -
23/03/2021 Keith SC A 7:45pm - - -
27/03/2021 Montrose SL1 A 3:00pm - - -
30/03/2021 Peterhead SL1 A 7:45pm - - -
01/04/2021 East Fife SL1 A 7:45pm - - -
06/04/2021 Cove Rangers SL1 H 7:00pm - - -
08/04/2021 Forfar Athletic SL1 H 7:00pm - - -
10/04/2021 Falkirk SL1 A 3:00pm - - -
13/04/2021 Partick Thistle SL1 A 7:00pm - - -
17/04/2021 Dumbarton SL1 H 3:00pm - - -
20/04/2021 Forfar Athletic SL1 A 7:45pm - -

-

We are absolutely gubbed. What a shambles. I'd suggest there's quite a bit of value in us not playing a goalkeeper against Keith.

Edited by David W

The more I read people's issues with what's on the table, the more I'm confident this idea would iron out everyone's problems. 

Play to 18, or as near as possible with postponements/cup. Then add these points onto next seasons 36 games. Gives everyone a fair chance, without punishing Falkirk etc's efforts this season. Crowds back all good, & if you are top after a 54 game season, there can be no argument about who the best team are.

29 minutes ago, David W said:
20/03/2021 East Fife SL1 H 3:00pm - - -
23/03/2021 Keith SC A 7:45pm - - -
27/03/2021 Montrose SL1 A 3:00pm - - -
30/03/2021 Peterhead SL1 A 7:45pm - - -
01/04/2021 East Fife SL1 A 7:45pm - - -
06/04/2021 Cove Rangers SL1 H 7:00pm - - -
08/04/2021 Forfar Athletic SL1 H 7:00pm - - -
10/04/2021 Falkirk SL1 A 3:00pm - - -
13/04/2021 Partick Thistle SL1 A 7:00pm - - -
17/04/2021 Dumbarton SL1 H 3:00pm - - -
20/04/2021 Forfar Athletic SL1 A 7:45pm - -

-

We are absolutely gubbed. What a shambles. I'd suggest there's quite a bit of value in us not playing a goalkeeper against Keith.

Surely our game v Falkirk should be moved to the Sunday, with Thistle on the Wednesday?

And when will we play QP in the Glasgow Cup?