Null & Void or an 18 Game Season?

Great that both L1 & 2 will be be back playing shortly, surely an 18 game season would be the most sensible situation.

Will be interesting to see how many positive cases there will be amongst the clubs, as the players in the main have other primary employment therefore will be mixing more with other people than Prem or Champs teams, worst case a full team has to isolate for 10 days due to positive cases, with such a crammed fixture list they could miss potentially  3 or 4 games, what will happen in this scenario?

That sounds about as good as it gets.
There's already past agreement on attempting 27 games each. No agreement yet on an 18 game version that may be controversial. There's the precedent of last season for PPG to even out inequities.
Just press on with fixtures as they were.
Except maybe postpone playoffs just to build in some slack and give the LL a fair chance to complete as far as they can also.
Good enough might be all there is.
"Postpone playoffs". FFS, that's one of the problems that we're trying to fix. Are you deliberately trolling here?

1 hour ago, Big Dougie said:

There is a rumour circulating that the Championship has also rejected the notion of the other divs playing 18 games, with a view to the play offs.

Can the Championship clubs reject that? Genuine question; not rhetorical.

If so, what happens if the 22 games proposal is rejected, then the Championship reject the lower leagues playing 18 games w/ playoffs, but the L1/L2 clubs also can’t agree on null & void?

Do we just start playing games and continue to do so until at some random point in May it becomes impractical to bother doing so?

1 minute ago, Nightmare said:

Can the Championship clubs reject that? Genuine question; not rhetorical.

If so, what happens if the 22 games proposal is rejected, then the Championship reject the lower leagues playing 18 games w/ playoffs, but the L1/L2 clubs also can’t agree on null & void?

Do we just start playing games and continue to do so until at some random point in May it becomes impractical to bother doing so?

I don't think the Championship clubs can reject it - I'm not sure what possible grounds they would have. I don't think they'd even be consulted. The only reason they have a slight reason to care at the moment is that the L1 clubs want to move the Championship play-offs from the agreed date.

26 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:
50 minutes ago, theboke said:
That sounds about as good as it gets.
There's already past agreement on attempting 27 games each. No agreement yet on an 18 game version that may be controversial. There's the precedent of last season for PPG to even out inequities.
Just press on with fixtures as they were.
Except maybe postpone playoffs just to build in some slack and give the LL a fair chance to complete as far as they can also.
Good enough might be all there is.

"Postpone playoffs". FFS, that's one of the problems that we're trying to fix. Are you deliberately trolling here?

I read that the SPFL board have already agreed to that aspect. But that they've rejected the 22 game with split proposal.

18 games is logical in a neat and tidy way but not the rational choice if there is no agreement for it amongst the clubs.

Hence why my conclusion is that by default you have to carry on with what was agreed prior to the shutdown and mitigate it with PPG and extending the season.

That to me is rational as it takes in some more realities than just an idealistic scenario that is logical but not likely.

I'll be happy to be wrong about it.

I read that the SPFL board have already agreed to that aspect. But that they've rejected the 22 game with split proposal.
18 games is logical in a neat and tidy way but not the rational choice if there is no agreement for it amongst the clubs.
Hence why my conclusion is that by default you have to carry on with what was agreed prior to the shutdown and mitigate it with PPG and extending the season.
That to me is rational as it takes in some more realities than just an idealistic scenario that is logical but not likely.

Logic dictates that we all complete 18 games each.
Unfortunately we are bound to a Mickey Mouse system that forces us into a solution that a minority of clubs and fans want but is the only way to keep enough parties satisfied enough to ‘vote’ for it......

11 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Logic dictates that we all complete 18 games each.
Unfortunately we are bound to a Mickey Mouse system that forces us into a solution that a minority of clubs and fans want but is the only way to keep enough parties satisfied enough to ‘vote’ for it......

How do you know it's a minority of clubs that want it?

Just now, roman_bairn said:

Anyone ever told you you’re a bit like a rabid dug?…

It's a genuine question, I've no idea what individual club's views are. I can draw conclusions that teams with a chance of reaching the play offs or avoiding relegation would prefer more games. That wouldn't equate to a minority.

Nail Head Hit - and 8 votes were required to effect change from 27. 

I’m basing my judgement on the above post from a person in the know.
However, what’s happening is that clubs are not necessarily voting for their first choice to accommodate a need for an 80% agreement....

Prepare to be happy then.

I’ve already written off the season in my head, so if it were to come back I’m all for 18 games but surely there still has to be promotion and relegation or we might as well null and void the season.

With Championship clubs not happy about the L1 playoffs, why not do the same system that the Premiership uses which favours the club finishing 11th? So, in L1 you would have 3rd v 4th with the winner facing 2nd and the winner then playing 9th in the Championship.

4 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

What would you prefer? The Falkirk null and void implosion now or wait and see if they miss out after 18 games and demand to keep playing until they get promoted?

I'm a bird in the hand guy and would vote for null and void, but it'll be 18 if what you say is accurate.

Believe me, if Falkirk play 18 games and fail to get promoted I won't want to see anymore. I wouldn't be demanding more games, I'd want our Managers out. 

39 minutes ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

With Championship clubs not happy about the L1 playoffs, why not do the same system that the Premiership uses which favours the club finishing 11th? So, in L1 you would have 3rd v 4th with the winner facing 2nd and the winner then playing 9th in the Championship.

I already got a 'nah' response when I suggested it, but I too think it's fair considering the circumstances.

58 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

That’s an argument for stopping the championship.

How many L1&L2 players have tested positive in going about their other jobs ?

Pointless argument, L1 and L2 clubs arnt being tested (yet) and its highly unlikely that they are getting tested In their other jobs unless they work in an industry that is testing regularly which I doubt there is many. Unless they are showing symptoms then there is no need for them to have a test and as has been pointed out on here numerous times, footballers fall into the category who are highly likely to be asymptomatic.

Championship clubs now returning positive tests since they started testing is no surprise, watch the numbers shoot up in L1 and L2 once testing starts.

2 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

That’s an argument for stopping the championship.

How many L1&L2 players have tested positive in going about their other jobs ?

Your point was built around how many cases there have been across the leagues, so cases this week do indeed weaken your argument.

L1 and L2 are deemed higher risk due to more players from more clubs having increased exposure to people outwith the football bubble with their other jobs.

Whether that is translated into more positive cases is hard to tell as mentioned above due to the lack of testing.

1 hour ago, pleslie99 said:

Pointless argument, L1 and L2 clubs arnt being tested (yet) and its highly unlikely that they are getting tested In their other jobs unless they work in an industry that is testing regularly which I doubt there is many. Unless they are showing symptoms then there is no need for them to have a test and as has been pointed out on here numerous times, footballers fall into the category who are highly likely to be asymptomatic.

Championship clubs now returning positive tests since they started testing is no surprise, watch the numbers shoot up in L1 and L2 once testing starts.

Message from East Fife Chairman on Thursday:

"All of our playing squad, management and backroom staff are tonight having their PCR testing carried out by an approved company. The results will be submitted to the SFA tomorrow at which point we would expect to be given the green light to restart training this weekend."

I hardly doubt we are the only ones doing this.