Null & Void or an 18 Game Season?

Just now, roman_bairn said:

You do wonder how large organisations or our legal professions survive nowadays....

That doesn't answer any of the questions.

Are you suggesting a bidding process that outside agencies compete for a contract to manage the SPFL? 

Same questions, how would it be selected and performance measured? Who would pay?

If it's the clubs, how is that body independent?

Another, how do you guarantee that independence? Do you go through every employee to find out who they support?

28 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Correct. However we would have an agreed set of rules up front in consultation with clubs that would include no colts. The independent body would ensure that the agreements are being adhered to.
Poor argument about colts being made by advocates of the current dreadful system that’s failing us yet again tonight.
Indeed I fully expect to see colts in forthcoming years under the current system as greed and self interest inevitably prevail....

What if your independent body decided that including colt teams was a good idea?

That doesn't answer any of the questions.
Are you suggesting a bidding process that outside agencies compete for a contract to manage the SPFL? 
Same questions, how would it be selected and performance measured? Who would pay?
If it's the clubs, how is that body independent?
Another, how do you guarantee that independence? Do you go through every employee to find out who they support?

Look, I’ve outlined the principles and flagged the weaknesses of the current system. I’m not spending my evening doing a business process redesign. We can debate that should realisation ever hit home.
It probably won’t though.....
And no I’m not talking about subcontracting to the highest bidder you clot [emoji16]

Just now, roman_bairn said:

Look, I’ve outlined the principles and flagged the weaknesses of the current system. I’m not spending my evening doing a business process redesign. We can debate that should realisation ever hit home.
It probably won’t though.....
And no I’m not talking about subcontracting to the highest bidder you clot emoji16.png

How can we judge your solution if you can't explain how it works? Not detail, a few headlines will do.

Was it you that was picking others up about insults recently?

1 minute ago, South Lanarkshire Jag said:

I would argue that the fixture dates for the Premiership post-split phase are also picked at a scenario that makes incomplete fixtures much more likely. They have a midweek card(10/11 of May I think) and weekend card(15/16 May) to conclude. If a team(for example Kilmarnock) gets an outbreak before then, there is little room to replay the games and they could potentially be involved in relegation playoffs. Obviously you don’t have that issue if it is mid table sides(which could also happen in L1) - the SPFL Board must have a plan of how they would deal with this - why can they not apply the exact same to L1/2?

I agree they should have a plan, and they could just impose whatever they want. But given clubs are picking a higher risk option, and that the usual solution of fixture rearrangement could well not be possible, I think they are right to ensure the clubs have a solution that they are all happy with.

What if the planned contingency the SPFL board came up with wasn't satisfactory with the clubs? They may want to go back and decide actually 18 is a better option after all. Or we'd be back to square one debating what to do. I don't see the problem with giving the clubs the choice here, if they want to hand over responsibility to the SPFL board to decide then I'm sure they could, but I doubt we'll see that.

21 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I agree they should have a plan, and they could just impose whatever they want. But given clubs are picking a higher risk option, and that the usual solution of fixture rearrangement could well not be possible, I think they are right to ensure the clubs have a solution that they are all happy with.

What if the planned contingency the SPFL board came up with wasn't satisfactory with the clubs? They may want to go back and decide actually 18 is a better option after all. Or we'd be back to square one debating what to do. I don't see the problem with giving the clubs the choice here, if they want to hand over responsibility to the SPFL board to decide then I'm sure they could, but I doubt we'll see that.

The planned contingency would, I presume, have been circulated around all 42 clubs at the start of the season. If it is not satisfactory then it should have been challenged/adjusted/changed at the start of the season - the prime issue is running out of games/dates to play them. This could happen in any division so they should be treated equally. If it turns out to be 3-0 forfeits in Prem then it should be same for Champ and L1/2.

It is up to the clubs to decide how many they want to play. As a collective they have asked for 22 - the board should have, in my opinion, focused on whether they were allowing the restart date to go ahead and if they were granting the extension for season rather than batting it back to clubs to decide sanctions for an incomplete season since these should already be in place. Why should the consequence of not finishing in L1/2 be different from Prem/Champ?

I just think it is a bit unfair to be potentially imposing different sanctions for the same offence(not finishing games) when proposed league finish formats(split) between the prem and L1/2 will be practically the same and I don’t understand why this seems to be a sticking issue and has stopped it moving forward as much as it should have.

Edited by South Lanarkshire Jag

If they are to be sat about for a fortnight that will have an impact on sharpness etc (there's nobody to play friendlies and tick over fitness).  Will be a nightmare for whoever finishes there, they'll almost certainly be relegated along with Ayr. 

Teams have 2 week gaps all throughout the season through cup/weather/Covid postponements and not and don’t lose that following game.

Because the Board do not want it. They want 18.
They are saying before they rubber stamp it, clubs had better come up with a plan if things go to pot. Seems sensible to me.

The statement from the SPFL centres around the possible inability of part time clubs completing the season.

The L1 & L2 clubs should ask what the plan is for the Championship, if there are any Covid interruptions and let them consider if that works.

Perhaps they could, but why not let the clubs decide, as they are with trying to do with deciding how to finish the season?
And also because the clubs in this scenario appear to be deliberately picking a scenario that makes incomplete fixtures much more likely. The top 2 leagues have more freedom to play postponed games at a different date - which would presumably be their first solution. That solution is unlikely to be an option for League 1/2 clubs.

But the basis of it is that part time teams are more likely to suffer covid postponements - where is the evidence of that ?

I am not actually saying I am in favour of the split, just that the obstacle that is being put up is that part time players have had Covid more than full time players

The clubs are probably just keen to give their season as much legitimacy as possible. An 18 game season looks like nullandvoid plus 1. Even though the SPFL seem happy enough with it. PPG is a good contingency to be agreed on in advance.

Take it that teams in fifth and sixth at the time the league splits will be scheduled to sit out the final round of fixtures. As they're least likely to be involved in meaningful games. Bit of a pickle if they need PPG to decide where the split falls too. Oh dear.

36 minutes ago, theboke said:

The clubs are probably just keen to give their season as much legitimacy as possible. An 18 game season looks like nullandvoid plus 1. Even though the SPFL seem happy enough with it. PPG is a good contingency to be agreed on in advance.

Take it that teams in fifth and sixth at the time the league splits will be scheduled to sit out the final round of fixtures. As they're least likely to be involved in meaningful games. Bit of a pickle if they need PPG to decide where the split falls too. Oh dear.

Why would they need ppg to see where the split falls?

Everyone will have played 18.

3 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

The statement from the SPFL centres around the possible inability of part time clubs completing the season.

The L1 & L2 clubs should ask what the plan is for the Championship, if there are any Covid interruptions and let them consider if that works.

The plan for the Championship is to play a sensible number of games within the actual allotted season, thus ensuring that there is not a substantial backlog of games by the final couple of weeks of season. Then, I'd guess, they would extend the season by a couple of weeks if they absolutely had to as a worst case scenario.

Neither of those things is being made possible by the League 1/2 proposal. There will be loads of games in the final weeks of the season, meaning that any covid outbreak would affect several fixtures, and they would already have extended the season by a couple of weeks to fit in these extra fixtures, thus making it impossible to have a further extension.

This 22 game plan is very close to unworkable, and therefore if the League 1/2 sides are determined to plough on with it anyway, then it is up to them to show exactly how they plan to deal with these issues, because the issues are entirely of their own making.

Edited by craigkillie

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Why would they need ppg to see where the split falls?

Everyone will have played 18.

Was thinking they may need to split before all teams had caught up with postponed fixtures. In order to stay on schedule for end of season playoffs.

To this outsider it now looks like the most rational way to progress is...

...use Saturdays and Tuesdays OR Thursdays to work through as much of the original 27 game fixtures list as is sensibly possible

...rather than trying to squeeze in a daft number of  games in any given week agree in advance to use PPG as a fair way to decide the season once the final pre playoff matchday is complete no matter how many games each team theoretically has left to complete their respective 27 game season

...push back the playoffs by a couple of weeks to enable this and to build in a bit of leeway in case of mishaps and to give LL a chance to produce a champion club as I assume the LL will be back late April.

Edited by theboke