Null & Void or an 18 Game Season?

20 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Schools obviously, but that is frankly the most bizarre straw man argument I've seen for some time, so congrats for that.

Straw man?? 

Society cannot open everything at once, decisions have to be made, it is quite likely 3rd teir football might well be seen as further down that road, when most of our kids can't yet return to school. It's not just about risks, but what is priority. 

We should be due an update today. I've been holding off writing and sending the back page of this week's paper waiting for it - so expect something once 2pm has passed and the paper is sent off to be printed...

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/suspension-of-football-update-9-february/?rid=13929

20 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Of course it's about priorities FFS. But when they let us play football again has precisely zero material impact on when they open the schools. They are completely unrelated. 

Agreed. It shouldn't be viewed as opening up one part of society versus another. It should be purely based on the risk of opening versus damage of keeping shut for each individual part.

If part time clubs are willing and able to test, I really don't see what the major risk is either to individuals involved in the game or wider society now that transmission is lower than it was in October when we were all playing without testing.

16 minutes ago, Life on Marrs? said:

Different varient of the virus since then. 

Also 30% of the population are vaccinated compared to then and that's increasing daily.

I'm not saying there's no argument for keeping shut at all and of course there's an element of risk but risk has to be weighed up sensibly. There's an element of risk in everything.

Edited by Gordon EF

With everything else staying shut until end of April it would seem like complete stupidity to me to start the lower leagues back. Would we be able to get all games played without any more outbreaks? 

Clyde and Albion rovers had games postponed and no decision yet after an investigation, maybe they thought there wouldn’t need to be one. But with Killie and St Mirren winning their appeals it seems unlikely they could impose a fine and 3-0 win to the opposition, but then again I wouldn’t rule it out. 

21 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Of course it's about priorities FFS. But when they let us play football again has precisely zero material impact on when they open the schools. They are completely unrelated. 

They arent but. Football and schools don't exist in a vacuum. Thats not how the science and the data behind transmission works.

Society as a whole has to be started back up in a phased return. At the moment they'll look to gradually increase interactions (people out and about - at work and school etc) by a set percentage. who knows what the scientists are saying but lets guess its a 10-20% increase in a set period. Schools being open basically uses up all those new interactions in the period.

Add something else to that like football, or pubs or eating out then its too much too soon as we go back to square one.

The SFA committed to today to put a statement out, so they had to say something I guess. It was clear from SFA/gov meetings being postponed last week to this week that we wouldn’t have any real info til they were concluded. 

However, if we have to wait for green light, and only then will we begin talks between clubs...all seems a bit lazy.

45 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Also 30% of the population are vaccinated compared to then and that's increasing daily.

I'm not saying there's no argument for keeping shut at all and of course there's an element of risk but risk has to be weighed up sensibly. There's an element of risk in everything.

We don't know how effective the vaccine is for 9 weeks, which is where the 26th April date came from, we can only speculate how the virus will behave. Whilst numbers have been encouraging, I suspect this Brazilian varient might be causing some panic. 

24 minutes ago, Dylangt7 said:

They arent but. Football and schools don't exist in a vacuum. Thats not how the science and the data behind transmission works.

Society as a whole has to be started back up in a phased return. At the moment they'll look to gradually increase interactions (people out and about - at work and school etc) by a set percentage. who knows what the scientists are saying but lets guess its a 10-20% increase in a set period. Schools being open basically uses up all those new interactions in the period.

Add something else to that like football, or pubs or eating out then its too much too soon as we go back to square one.

At last, someone else understands! 

It certainly feels like this is being deliberately dragged out so that a null and void is the only option. Time is rapidly running out the fulfil fixtures without a further curtailment of fixtures,which may well lead to a N&V  anyway if only half the season can be played. 

The clubs are willing to pay for the testing like the Championship. In that case, what on earth is the problem here?