Null & Void or an 18 Game Season?

On 23/02/2021 at 16:10, Jan Vojáček said:

I actually spoke to our club historian about this last week, and aye they would be expunged. This season never happened. Calumn Morrison hasn't scored a single goal for Falkirk and Kevin Dabrowski never played for us.

They can train, but won't be playing games.

As Moonster says though, I'd like to think that an exception will be made for tested part-time players in League One and League Two. In England you could have amateur games taking place at the end of March. It would be crazy if tested professional players weren't able to play up here.

The BetFred cup will be played to a finish this weekend so Morrison will have scored for Falkirk and Dabrowski will have played for us. Unfortunately, just not as often as our memories may tell us.

3 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

At first I wondered if it was just me, now having read through a lot of these posts I realise that it most likely is just me.
I could no longer give a f**k about what happens with leagues. End them, play 18 games, play 22 games, promote clubs, relegate other clubs. Get it in the fucking bin.

The season has been a fucking write off and I've pretty much forgotten about it already.

Not just you, could not care less what happens with this season. They can do what they want I’ll only be interested when I can get back in the ground.

I think it's a hell of a lot fairer than the "independent panel doing whatever the f**k they like" abomination you're after, yes. The joy of our current system is that even if Championship clubs want something like this they need a majority to agree to it as well, they can't simply refuse promotion off their own back. Given there are at least 20 clubs that would absolutely oppose this it's safe to say what Championship clubs want and what Championship clubs get may well be very different things, thanks to our wonderful democracy. 
Of course, this could all be media driven bullshit and Championship clubs aren't saying anything of the sort. It'll come out in the wash though and if they have been trying to influence this division with this stuff then I expect they'll be told where to go. 
In your wee independent panel world, what do League 1 & 2 clubs do when The Panel decides 18/22 games isn't enough to decide promotion and ends it there and then? I don't come back with any "there's nothing to say an independent panel would do that", I'm asking you a hypothetical question.

Democracy isn’t a voting system that’s slanted to suit one set of results, e.g 11-1 etc. Not sure why you cannot see that?
Re the independent body, whilst far from perfect, just how do FIFA or UEFA manage to operate as governing bodies?
And as for the last point, yep, it’s no more likely under an independent governing body than it is under a skewed voting system where the self interest of the biggest clubs predominates.....
Ps. I’m going to say it now, so feel free to bookmark, the lower division clubs will be financially incentivised to such an extent that enough will give in to allow colt clubs to be admitted. Under an independent and fairly run body (a challenge I agree), such bribery would not be allowed to exist....

9 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Democracy isn’t a voting system that’s slanted to suit one set of results, e.g 11-1 etc. Not sure why you cannot see that?
Re the independent body, whilst far from perfect, just how do FIFA or UEFA manage to operate as governing bodies?
And as for the last point, yep, it’s no more likely under an independent governing body than it is under a skewed voting system where the self interest of the biggest clubs predominates.....
Ps. I’m going to say it now, so feel free to bookmark, the lower division clubs will be financially incentivised to such an extent that enough will give in to allow colt clubs to be admitted. Under an independent and fairly run body (a challenge I agree), such bribery would not be allowed to exist....

Your shining example of how things should run are FIFA and UEFA, two organisations littered with corruption, where tournaments go to wholly unsuitable countries like Qatar as they can sling the biggest bungs? f**k me.

12 hours ago, David W said:

I have absolutely no interest in completing a season either. It has probably been even worse for a Clyde fan (even if you ignore the fact we have been absolute garbage) as our second game was postponed, then we had two consecutive Saturdays off due to Covid (have the SFA investigated that yet?) and the new year game v Thistle also postponed. We've a bunch of players, raw loanees and League 2 jobbers on inexplicably long contracts, that I have no interest in watching. Then you add random groups of kids running around our stadium, and club chaplains who can't be bothered going to games and it's been an absolute shambles of a campaign.

It has just been stop start, the experience of watching games has been diabolical and I genuinely couldn't care less what happens in the next couple of months.

And what difference would that make?

9 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Desperate people do desperate things. When this financially incentivised reconstruction involved no relegation from the Championship and automatic promotion for x number of clubs from L1, whose hand will be first up?

Will what's left behind and which teams are in it be a consideration? It's become the Falkirk imperative, I doubt they'd even consider the new format of the Championship, as long as their in it is all that matters.

You're like a dog in heat, it's not a good look or smell.

1 hour ago, Stag Nation said:

And what difference would that make?

Well, exactly. I'm not sure how he has wormed his way into every match this season. He shouldn't be joking about how he couldn't be bothered travelling to Cove when there's thousands of football fans across the country who would love to go to a game.

14 hours ago, virginton said:

Your claim was that Championship clubs would enjoy a massive advantage this season: they quite clearly do not.That the SG grant is likely to make them less fucked over financially by this ridiculous farce of a campaign than before does not make them any more competitive on the park this April/May than a League One club that has been using furlough + its own £150k grant to keep the lights on. So your claim is bollocks then. 

That's all we needed thanks.

13 hours ago, microdave said:

The BetFred cup will be played to a finish this weekend so Morrison will have scored for Falkirk and Dabrowski will have played for us. Unfortunately, just not as often as our memories may tell us.

That's a very good point actually.

P4 W0 D0 L4. GF2 GA10.

What a season that was!

I'm also doing a good job of forgetting the 2020-21 League One season ever existed, but I'm very keen for a restart. Not for us, but for the lower steps on the pyramid.

Falkirk may have found their natural level but there are plenty in the Lowland/EoS who haven't. It'd be a shame to see a whole season go by without some fluidity between leagues.

20 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I'm also doing a good job of forgetting the 2020-21 League One season ever existed, but I'm very keen for a restart. Not for us, but for the lower steps on the pyramid.

Falkirk may have found their natural level but there are plenty in the Lowland/EoS who haven't. It'd be a shame to see a whole season go by without some fluidity between leagues.

Don’t worry, you guys only have one more level to drop to find yours.....

2 hours ago, latapythelegend said:

That's all we needed thanks.

Which will make the square root of f**k-all difference to the actual play-offs at the end of this season, what with then being won on a pitch and not an accounts book.

Thanks for playing anyway. 

Null & void & start again in July / August when we may have some small chance of an uninterrupted season. I appreciate the effort that was made to re-start a version of part-time football but having the lower and senior non-leagues shut down because the government wanted a head on a plate, after repeated selfishness from the bigoted arsecheeks, really does leave a bad taste. As does the authorities utter spinelessness and disinterest in the lower leagues and grassroots.

All this will they-won't they stuff about a potential re-start is just pointless fannying around. I take from NS statement yesterday that society will remain largely locked down until late April and that is too late for a meaningful re-start. I am also not interested in watching football at this level in an empty stadium on a computer screen, on my own. I spend all week on a computer, in lockdown, and I'm not going to spend my day off on a computer as well.

I hope at some point in 2021/22 fans will be able to return and some limited version of our old lives will come back. Everything else until then is just wishing on a star. It may not happen until October / November I fear, depending on the data that releasing lockdown produces, and the success of the vaccination programme.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

15 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Null & void & start again in July / August when we may have some small chance of an uninterrupted season. I appreciate the effort that was made to re-start a version of part-time football but having the lower and senior non-leagues shut down because the government wanted a head on a plate, after repeated selfishness from the bigoted arsecheeks, really does leave a bad taste. As does the authorities utter spinelessness and disinterest in the lower leagues and grassroots.

All this will they-won't they stuff about a potential re-start is just pointless fannying around. I take from NS statement yesterday that society will remain largely locked down until late April and that is too late for a meaningful re-start. I am also not interested in watching football at this level in an empty stadium on a computer screen, on my own. I spend all week on a computer, in lockdown, and I'm not going to spend my day off on a computer as well.

I hope at some point in 2021/22 fans will be able to return and some limited version of our old lives will come back. Everything else until then is just wishing on a star. It may not happen until October / November I fear, depending on the data that releasing lockdown produces, and the success of the vaccination programme.

Leagues 1 & 2 were never closed as a result of this lockdown though so there is really no correlation between easing restrictions and football restarting at this level. 

There is absolutely no reason why games cannot resume from the start of April at the latest and the season comfortably finished by mid-May with 18 games played.

If null and void does be the outcome, then clubs have just wasted thousands investing in squads and paying wages up until the suspension in early January (when furlough kicked in again). The only way to justify that is by finishing the season. Otherwise it should have been a season of hibernation. 

4 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

If null and void does be the outcome, then clubs have just wasted thousands investing in squads and paying wages up until the suspension in early January (when furlough kicked in again). The only way to justify that is by finishing the season. Otherwise it should have been a season of hibernation. 

Clubs "invested in squads" knowing full well that null & void could be an outcome. No one cares if individual clubs can "justify" expenditure in the present circumstances.

All decision carry risk and if heavy investments, in the circumstances of a global pandemic, were made, the clubs have no one to blame but themselves if they find themsleves distressed financially.

Also rather bizarre to claim that there is "no correlation" between lockdown restrictions easing and football re-starting. Lockdown restrictions easing will inform when football can re-start.

I get that Falkirk are desperate for promotion but it looks like it'll take another year.