Null & Void or an 18 Game Season?

Sporting integrity is a myth. Every club will rightly do what is right for themselves.

I would hope, they at least put the league to 18 games for this season. If they don't, it's hard to justify promotion or relegation on less than 50% of games played. Last season had 2/3 played so, obviously as a rovers fan, I back the ppg that was used. Hard to argue that case without every team playing home and away at least once though.

10 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Sporting integrity is a myth. Every club will rightly do what is right for themselves.

I would hope, they at least put the league to 18 games for this season. If they don't, it's hard to justify promotion or relegation on less than 50% of games played. Last season had 2/3 played so, obviously as a rovers fan, I back the ppg that was used. Hard to argue that case without every team playing home and away at least once though.

Hard to argue for relegation/promotion if you hadn’t played home and away, but alright to argue for it if you’d played a team twice at home but only once away. 

You couldn’t make it up. 

Hard to argue for relegation/promotion if you hadn’t played home and away, but alright to argue for it if you’d played a team twice at home but only once away. 
You couldn’t make it up. 
Would have been happy for the season to have been called based on 50% of the season completed tbh.

You can't write it...

41 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

If we can play, lets play. We're football clubs, we should play football whenever we can. 18 game season would be fine with me.

This

The promotion/relegation arguments will rumble on with everyone choosing the option that suits their team best but having nothing to talk about on a Saturday is shite and I can't be arsed with it anymore. 

I agree an 18 game season would be the best way forward. However; I don’t understand the criticism of fans and clubs at the other end of the table as if it were back in the season with Ray McKinnon sitting bottom of the Championship I’d be crying for null and void. We’ve got to hope an 18 game season suits the majority which I think it will. Dumbarton and above can all still make the playoffs. 

Edited by wee_bairn

8 hours ago, bairn88 said:

You couldn’t make it up. 

I agree, should have used the 18 game model last season tbh.  

20 minutes ago, wee_bairn said:

I agree an 18 game season would be the best way forward. However; I don’t understand the criticism of fans and clubs at the other end of the table as if it were back in the season with Ray McKinnon sitting bottom of the Championship I’d be crying for null and void. We’ve got to hope an 18 game season suits the majority which I think it will. Dumbarton and above can all still make the playoffs. 

I have real fears my club could be relegated if we play out this season, we lost a really good keeper and we haven't added to our squad at all, but we signed up to play football so lets play and take whatever comes. If folk would rather null and void because it saves them from relegation then I think I can understand the criticism. 

22 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I have real fears my club could be relegated if we play out this season, we lost a really good keeper and we haven't added to our squad at all, but we signed up to play football so lets play and take whatever comes. If folk would rather null and void because it saves them from relegation then I think I can understand the criticism. 

Agreed.

If the Championship clubs don't want to accept promotion and relegation then maybe some sort of compromise should be reached. 18 games, top is promoted, bottom is relegated and no playoffs. I'd rather just see the 18 games played with playoffs though, as long as everyone plays everyone home and away once then that's the most fair outcome there could be imo. Arguably more fair than the 27 games we were going to play.

I spoke to a Sons player yesterday and my brother is involved at a lower level, and players just want to play football again. I think we're overlooking the impact that canning the season until July/August would have on them too. 

Spoiler

I will delete this post when we're relegated

I'd go null and void.

An 18 game season isn't necessarily too short, but the massive gap between games is far from ideal. The season has been stop/start for clubs even setting aside the extended mid-season shutdown. How do you reconcile home/away games? Do you stack the remaining fixtures to try and get as close to 9 home and 9 away games as possible? Difficult to do and some teams may complain about rivals having a run of home games to resolve the rest of this season if promotion or relegation is at risk. Neither option is without problems and this will be another season where fans are essentially looking at writing off season ticket money as a donation. Most will do so - and I'm ok for Dumbarton to keep my £175 - but it's far from ideal and it will cause resentment. Null and void at least puts every club in the same boat and let's everybody try again in July. It gives clubs a degree of certainty, even if that certainty involves another financial struggle.

I also don't want this to be an excuse for the SPFL to screw clubs. If we need league reconstruction, and I'd suggest that we do, then it can't be a token effort to keep a few clubs quiet. It can't be used to force colt teams through. Get rid of the absolute mess of non-Scottish and colt teams from the lower league cup. We don't need them now that the junior sides have joined the pyramid structure as we have enough teams to run a competition to merge the junior and lower league cups. 

The SPFL and SFA have treated lower league football atrociously. This cannot be allowed to become a convenient fudge to let the football authorities off the hook. Whatever the decision is, there has to be a united front from all lower league clubs and an absolute opposition to any attempts to use this as a way of forcing colt teams or any other unwelcome moves through.

9 hours ago, bairn88 said:

You couldn’t make it up. 

There won’t be any relegation from the Championship. There are already some Championship clubs living well beyond their means and have went to their fans, a number of who will already be suffering financially during these difficult times, and begged for money via vehicles such as ‘Just Giving’.

The way some clubs are treating their fans is abhorrent.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

Guest The Phoenix
45 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Agreed.

If the Championship clubs don't want to accept promotion and relegation then maybe some sort of compromise should be reached. 18 games, top is promoted, bottom is relegated and no playoffs. I'd rather just see the 18 games played with playoffs though, as long as everyone plays everyone home and away once then that's the most fair outcome there could be imo. Arguably more fair than the 27 games we were going to play.

I spoke to a Sons player yesterday and my brother is involved at a lower level, and players just want to play football again. I think we're overlooking the impact that canning the season until July/August would have on them too. 

Reveal hidden contents

I will delete this post when we're relegated

Highly unlikely to get a majority of Clubs to agree to that.   

Just now, The Phoenix said:

Highly unlikely to get a majority of Clubs to agree to that.   

Lets be honest, it's highly unlikely you'll get all the clubs to agree on anything. Jim McInally has already said that he wants the league null and void, whilst there's not a hope in hell of Falkirk or Partick Thistle being in favour of that. I'm not even sure there's any middle ground between those two viewpoints.

I honestly don't see an 18 game season happening. Clyde have only played eight games so far, and to be honest I'm fairly sceptical that the league will be restarting anywhere near the 1st of March.

My cynical brain thinks that the date keeps getting pushed because the higher ups are well aware there won't be any more football played this season, and the delay gives them the longest possible period to come up with a contingency - which somehow didn't already exist given the circumstance.