The Mighty Well v The less than mighty Accies 13th Feb.

I was impressed by the Accies in their game v Rangers last Sunday. 

But we have been on an upward trajectory since Alexander the Great arrived. 

So time to put them to the sword and re assert our dominance. I mean 3 defeats in one season does not bear thinking about. Were that to happen a quick calculation would mean that 50% of their wins this season (so far) would have come against us 😫

It will be a tough game but I am going for 2-1 for the Pride of Lanarkshire (home team of course). Watt and Long for us and then who cares ? 

I would consider OHara to start for Crawford. Leave the rest as is. One wonders if Polworth will get a look in any time soon. 

Accies looked good at the weekend but if they were able to string a run of results together they wouldn’t be where they are.  We are due a result in this fixture, we haven’t done ourselves justice so far.  Time to step up and show who we are.

It's a weird fixture for us this one. It's literally the only one where we are pretty much always the favourite and I don't think we deal well with that as Accies clearly have a really decent record against us over the years. That said, I think the fact that they've beaten us twice this season - and did it with embarrassing ease in the Chapman game - helps us a bit in that regard as there will be no complacency and a bit of desire to put things right. 

Alexander has simplified things and has clearly made us more resilient and so I don't expect much tinkering to be happening here as things are working quite well. I reckon the only place might be O'Hara back into the starting line up at the expense of Crawford.

After our recent uptick, this feels like quite a pivotal game - 3 points here and I reckon we'll be out of real danger and looking up the table but if this is a re-run of the previous two games, it will set us back and get the doubts creeping back in. 

We're in decent form, so hoping for a win of any sort here.

I really want Accies to stay up this year- if yous are going to go down I'd at least like to be able to be at NDP for one last sendoff- despite all the negativity I do have strangely fond feelings about the place. That said, my psyche can't take St Mirren finishing in the Top 6 ahead of us so 3 points here would be very welcome. 

8 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I really want Accies to stay up this year- if yous are going to go down I'd at least like to be able to be at NDP for one last sendoff- despite all the negativity I do have strangely fond feelings about the place. That said, my psyche can't take St Mirren finishing in the Top 6 ahead of us so 3 points here would be very welcome. 

1988/89 the last time St Mirren finished above us, let’s charge up the table please.

Edited by ropy

7 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I want you to beat St Mirren 4-0, and then finish in 6th above them by 1 goal.

This site would be down for hours after it sunk in.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

1988/89 the last time St Mirren finished above is, let’s charge up the table please.

Crikey - as recently as the late 1980’s 😉

Funnily enough after the main concern being we finish in one of the bottom two places this one is only secondary to that ! Especially as Goodwin is suddenly Guardiola and has become a bit of an arrogant twat in his after match interviews. 

Win on Saturday and can focus on catching the mighty Paisley buddies and get them below us where history dictates they belong 👍

28 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Funnily enough after the main concern being we finish in one of the bottom two places this one is only secondary to that ! Especially as Goodwin is suddenly Guardiola and has become a bit of an arrogant twat in his after match interviews. 

Win on Saturday and can focus on catching the mighty Paisley buddies and get them below us where history dictates they belong 👍

As for Accies, there was that season we dipped to the bottom to keep the new team from Govan out the league, I always saw that as a humanitarian mission, but other than that I’m not sure when we previously finished below Hamilton.

12 minutes ago, ropy said:

As for Accies, there was that season we dipped to the bottom to keep the new team from Govan out the league, I always saw that as a humanitarian mission, but other than that I’m not sure when we previously finished below Hamilton.

Did Accies not finish ahead of us under Billy Reid? - pretty sure they did.

Add me to the "definitely has the fear about this" list. O'Donnell popping up in the press talking about how it'll be "a different Motherwell" feels like a definite fate tempting situation.

I mean, he's not wrong, Chapman's unlikely to be in goal and with the recent uptick in form the players seem to be enjoying themselves a bit more and have a bit more confidence. Also, Alexander seems to be far less about "win the battle and earn the right to play football" and is more "can we just try and win by scoring some goals please" - which is nice.

It still feels like the sort of game where Accies turn up and boot us in the baws though.

As for that season we were in the play off, remember St. Mirren were still even more pish than us.

4 hours ago, welldaft said:

Disagree re your slur on Goodwin.

Check out his post match comments after Buddies loss to Livi in semi. Despite certain key decisions going against his team he chose more to give Livi credit and to wish them well in the final.

He's done likewise with Motherwell praising them highly and seeing us as a benchmark for his team to aspire to.

As for his tactical nous I would agree with a lot of the ' experts' that he knows his stuff.

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Add me to the "definitely has the fear about this" list. O'Donnell popping up in the press talking about how it'll be "a different Motherwell" feels like a definite fate tempting situation.

I mean, he's not wrong, Chapman's unlikely to be in goal and with the recent uptick in form the players seem to be enjoying themselves a bit more and have a bit more confidence. Also, Alexander seems to be far less about "win the battle and earn the right to play football" and is more "can we just try and win by scoring some goals please" - which is nice.

It still feels like the sort of game where Accies turn up and boot us in the baws though.

Unfortunately we have to remember that in the Kilmarnock game we were by-and-large atrocious with our passing being either aimless hoof-age into space controlled by the opposition, or softly passing it straight to them.  However there were a few decent attacking moments, and the goal was a thing of beauty, all things considered.  

Having said that, we still showed some resilience in keeping going through thick and thin, and Bevis and Ricki played very well.    And yeah, Kelly in goals is brilliant too.   I'm optimistic of a better performance because Watt + Cole + Long are working better than before, so I'm enjoying the new experience of expecting to score at least one in the match.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons