Saints v Celtic, Sunday 14/02/21 12pm

Will this be a High Noon Valentine's Day massacre at McDiarmid Park?  

Saints have got closer to Celtic this season, Conway hitting the post with an open goal 2 yards out before Celtic scored twice in the last few minutes last time at McDiarmid, and throwing away a lead to draw 1-1 through there, but still no victory.

Good challenge for us as we've been in our best form of the season, though Celtic have improved the past couple of fixtures.  A point or 3 here would be a very good return from a run of three tough fixtures: Rangers and Livi away and Celtic at home.

A win and I think we can safely say our now slim relegation fears are over, and start looking at chasing top six.

I think Callum will return to the 5-2-3, if he does hopefully it's with McCann back central instead of wide right.

The big worry might be the weather, we have tonnes of snow in Perth at the minute, it's a winter wonderland, with further intermittent* falls forecast before the weekend.

* Off and on for Celtic fans

Be intrigued to see how they are dealing with the pitch. I know previously they've left snow on as long as possible to insulate the pitch but the temperatures mean grass underneath is frozen sold. Temperatures aren't due much above zero by Sunday either. Snow/freezing rain a possibility overnight on Saturday too.

1 hour ago, nelsjfc said:

Be intrigued to see how they are dealing with the pitch. I know previously they've left snow on as long as possible to insulate the pitch but the temperatures mean grass underneath is frozen sold. Temperatures aren't due much above zero by Sunday either. Snow/freezing rain a possibility overnight on Saturday too.

Going to cover it with a hot air balloon.....................

Oops sorry Neily Lennon does not arrive until Sunday.

Edited by Templar Saint

12 hours ago, nelsjfc said:

Mentioned in an interview today that they left a layer of snow on the training pitch, would guess they've done the same to the match pitch?

Fwiw we can definitely get at Celtic, they're wide open when caught in possession and Duffy might be playing. Diamond midfield they use is generally unbalanced as 3 of them are towing trailers.

Issue is, as St Mirren learned, you're likely to be playing against 14 men, and once Celtic get their tails up they can go through the gears.

Best bit about these games are the weirdo OF fans who are convinced we're in love with the opposite side.

Celtic fans reckon we're all massive Rangers fans because we rested players at Ibrox but won't here, while Rangers fans think we're all massive Celtic fans because Davidson has come out and said Celtic can be unstoppable when they're playing well, and that means we intend to just roll over.

It's great stuff.

FWIW this could be a perfect game for the 5-2-3, but we'll need to be brave and everyone needs to win individual battles.

We'd need Liam Gordon to accept stepping out the back line at times too.

Screenshot_20210214-082959_Chrome.jpg.79db4938ede894867f2bbd003d3090ca.jpg

That's stolen from an article about midfield diamonds, but shows how they generally shape up. Celtic will play with 2 from Rogic, Christie or Turnbull at the "tip" and on the right. 

If we leave Kane to pressure Brown/Biton who'll be DM/CB, leave Duffy if he gets possession, we'll be overloading them on the wings on counters every single time. 

Shame MOH has been shit all season, Middleton and him on either wing could've been perfect.

I say all this and we'll 7-0.