Dons v Saints - The Jim Goodwin Audition For A Big Job

Guest Bob Mahelp

We got away with that handball at the end but on the balance of play, a draw was absolutely the correct result.

Ref’s behind him and the linesman is on the other side. No way either could have seen it. Don’t think one Aberdeen player claimed for it either. But it was a penalty... :)

Just now, Ric said:

Going on the new rules? I think so. It's not like the Shankland penalty we got, the ball ricocheted and Erhahon had his hands in an "unnatural position" but it definitely looked like it hit his hand. The camera angle was not entirely the best to see though.

Not much the lad could do but his hands were almost covering his face. Quickly pulls them down when contact is made.

The referee was pretty poor today. Some obvious booking for both teams ignored.

Just now, Merkland Red said:

Not much the lad could do but his hands were almost covering his face. Quickly pulls them down when contact is made.

I think the fact his arms shot immediately behind his back, like a schoolboy caught stealing sweets, made it more obvious. :lol:

Conditions contributed, but rubbish again. Real sickener that we throwing away third place this season. Didn't create a clear-cut chance all game that I can recall. 

Kamberi and Campbell probably the only two semi-positives. Hornby, unfortunately, looks more unconvincing with every passing game. 

I can understand why he didn't start today what with all the football coming in the next 2 weeks but Obika must sign a new contract. He is far, far better than Erwin in every way.

Erwin’s fifth choice striker. Problem is three of our five strikers are injured which only leaves him and Obika. Until the big Q gets back Erwin will be playing a lot of minutes because big Jon struggles to be effective for the full 90 at the best of times, never mind with a schedule like this.
Would like to see more new contracts announced this month, safety is assured and the sooner we start planning for next season the better. Obika should definitely be near the top of that list.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I can understand why he didn't start today what with all the football coming in the next 2 weeks but Obika must sign a new contract. He is far, far better than Erwin in every way.

I actually thought Erwin was OK today in tough conditions but the ball sticks to Obika, he can hold it up, take a bit of pressure off and bring others into play. We're a much better team with him in it. 

I hope Flynn and Doyle-Hayes are both okay. Either of them being out for any length of time would be a nightmare right now.

Thought we were the slightly better team but the Erhahon handball should have been a penalty. Fraser and Durmus were probably our best performers. MacPherson did well when he came on and was very positive on the ball. Shaughnessy strolled it for 85 minutes then nearly lost us the game, he always has a calamity in him.

We need to start committing more bodies into the box. We don’t get enough quality balls in really but today MacPherson put in two or three and Obika was the only one getting in the right area each time.

7 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Good point today in terrible conditions. 

The sooner Aberdeen move inland,  the better. 

Well if the council get their way we're moving closer to the sea 🤣

The issue is the open area between the away end and the Richard Donald stand. There probably isn't any appetite to close that off though.

Jesus that was brutal. I’m going to be generous and use the wind as an excuse for both teams.

Fraser best player on the park for me. Thought cammy offered something (slightly) different when he came on. I feel Flynn JDH and Ethan are all too similar.

Can understand why Aberdeen fans are getting pissed off if that’s the level of performance Aberdeen are offering on a regular basis!

Special mention to Marcus Fraser, I think he’s brilliant. Solid as they come at right back and does get forward too. He’s only 26 and just on a one year deal. He’d be near the top of my ‘new contract please’ list.

Spot on Lex. Fine player. Once we found a settled shape and team, he’s been wonderful. No surprise he’s been one of the first picks each game.

McAllister needs to do more when he gets on, losing the ball and making no effort to track back is not good enough especially for someone who has only just came on.

Poor game but still a very good point away from home.
Just hope the knocks JDH and Flynn got are nothing serious.