Dons v Saints - The Jim Goodwin Audition For A Big Job

Guest Bob Mahelp

10 minutes ago, Ric said:

Are you suggesting that the three points exist before the final whistle is blown? If so, that could be quite the contentious claim.

They must exist before the final whistle is blown, because in some tables they show positions and points in play. However, although some of our younger philosophers state that each team has one point at kick off, I’m with the elder statesmen among the philosopher community who adamantly state that the points are with the home team until it is mathematically impossible for this to happen.

5 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

They must exist before the final whistle is blown, because in some tables they show positions and points in play. However, although some of our younger philosophers state that each team has one point at kick off, I’m with the elder statesmen among the philosopher community who adamantly state that the points are with the home team until it is mathematically impossible for this to happen.

Ah, they might exist as a hypothetical construct, and for me they most certainly don't reside as default with the home team. Even if colloquialisms such as "it's their's to lose" exist within the common parlance.

However that said, I suppose technically they exist after a certain point in time when any referee stoppage doesn't require a replay. Is that 75 minutes? I honestly don't know but it's about then isn't it?

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

Ah, they might exist as a hypothetical construct, and for me they most certainly don't reside as default with the home team. Even if colloquialisms such as "it's their's to lose" exist within the common parlance.

However that said, I suppose technically they exist after a certain point in time when any referee stoppage doesn't require a replay. Is that 75 minutes? I honestly don't know but it's about then isn't it?

I don’t think that there is any time after which no re-arrangement has to be played. Pretty sure that the match has to be completed, although there have been occasions where specific rules have been brought in to cover unusual situations. 

Just now, kingjoey said:

I don’t think that there is any time after which no re-arrangement has to be played. Pretty sure that the match has to be completed, although there have been occasions where specific rules have been brought in to cover unusual situations. 

Is that not the case? Say torrential rain comes down and a team is 3-0 up and there's 10 minutes left. The game surely doesn't get called off then replayed for the full 90 at a later date? As I say, I am wholly ignorant on this, we need some expert in here to clarify.

If what you say is right, then I go back to my initial claim that the points most definitely don't exist until the final whistle has been blown. There are projections, sure, but the analogy is like a weather report. Just because it tells you it'll rain tomorrow doesn't mean it's raining now.

Guest Bob Mahelp

I always enjoy a thread with the Saints lads. 

They do some good banter, and they all deserve a pat on the back for not being hvns. **

To be honest, I'm just glad to get away from the Livi lot.

**Obviously not the ones who are those fecking weird, perma-raging Tories. St Mirren seem to have a few of them. 

31 minutes ago, Ric said:

Is that not the case? Say torrential rain comes down and a team is 3-0 up and there's 10 minutes left. The game surely doesn't get called off then replayed for the full 90 at a later date? As I say, I am wholly ignorant on this, we need some expert in here to clarify.

If what you say is right, then I go back to my initial claim that the points most definitely don't exist until the final whistle has been blown. There are projections, sure, but the analogy is like a weather report. Just because it tells you it'll rain tomorrow doesn't mean it's raining now.

An abandoned match is replayed unless the competition rules or organisers determine otherwise.

The above is taken directly from The Laws Of The Game. Any abandoned match to be replayed unless someone decides differently. In order words if Rangers or Celtic are winning by any score when match is abandoned, they get the points, otherwise the match is replayed. If the match doesn’t involve either of Rangers or Celtic then nobody gives a f*ck.

49 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I always enjoy a thread with the Saints lads. 

They do some good banter, and they all deserve a pat on the back for not being hvns. **

To be honest, I'm just glad to get away from the Livi lot.

**Obviously not the ones who are those fecking weird, perma-raging Tories. St Mirren seem to have a few of them. 

Who are they?:huh:

2 hours ago, Ric said:

It could be some sort of quantum state, a superposition as it were. And as Heisenberg, no doubt a St Mirren fan, would have proffered: if you were to measure the amount of points, you wouldn't simultaneously be able to determine which team they would be positioned with.

I think, philosophically, the troubling issue is what happens to the third point in the event of a draw.

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

I think, philosophically, the troubling issue is what happens to the third point in the event of a draw.

This is true, it causes me anguish when a commentator says the points 'were shared'. There must be three parties involved in this sharing agreement but the silent party is never named. 

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I believe it is ritualistically beheaded in front of the players and management teams in order to motivate then toward a more attractive, attacking style of football in future.

Doesn't work evidently.

Normally one of the highlights of the season for me, getting to walk to a game and have a couple of pints en route.

Dons have got to be absolutely bereft of confidence atm, great opportunity to come up here and get something. Anything from the next two games is a bonus really before we have our juicy run of home fixtures, but given the respective form of both teams we certainly shouldn't be approaching this with trepidation.

And ofc the scene of one the Gaffer's finest moments, will never forget that game.0_7972663.jpeg

58 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

This is true, it causes me anguish when a commentator says the points 'were shared'. There must be three parties involved in this sharing agreement but the silent party is never named. 

That's because there would be an outcry.  OF* dominance has been maintained through the years through the surreptitious collection of the third point from each draw.  If an OF* team draws against any of the ten non-OF clubs, then they receive the third point and are awarded two points for a draw, with the opposition receiving one.  

The last game at Pittodrie was probably the turning point of our season. We did unluckily lose that day, but put in good performance and then went on our 11 game unbeaten run. 

Fast forward 4 and bit months from then - we've gone from bottom of the league to sitting pretty in 6th place with games in hand. The team are now playing with confidence and most importantly, scoring goals.

We have also strengthened the squad with the likes of JDH and Brophy, and managed to offload  Sheron and Morias who both started in the narrow defeat at Pittodrie. 

I still think this will be a difficult game, especially with us playing Celtic tomorrow night and Aberdeen having a free midweek. 

Saints win 2-1.

40 minutes ago, Munoz said:

The last game at Pittodrie was probably the turning point of our season. We did unluckily lose that day, but put in good performance and then went on our 11 game unbeaten run. 

Fast forward 4 and bit months from then - we've gone from bottom of the league to sitting pretty in 6th place with games in hand. The team are now playing with confidence and most importantly, scoring goals.

We have also strengthened the squad with the likes of JDH and Brophy, and managed to offload  Sheron and Morias who both started in the narrow defeat at Pittodrie. 

I still think this will be a difficult game, especially with us playing Celtic tomorrow night and Aberdeen having a free midweek. 

Saints win 2-1.

Saints 3/1 great odds considering how we are playing.Can't bet against my own team but seriously tempted.