It's a Sin

HoBNob

There's discussion on it on the TV thread but it's worth a thread of it's own.  Absolutely brilliant television, really well written and acted.  It covered so much about that era but without being preachy or clunky, which is how the vast majority of television ends up being when it tries to deal with any sort of social or political issue.

I'm not gay and I'm a bit younger than the people protrayed in the series but I remember seeing the AIDS adverts with the tombstone, I remember kids in school using AIDS as an insult (IIRC a kid who was seen as being smelly/dirty got told he had AIDS).  The homophobia of the time was completely blatent and open, I don't think younger people really appreciate that.  The impact of that environment on gay men and how they behaved also had a big affect on the spread of the illness, spoilers needed here

Spoiler

For example, Colin catches HIV from someone who is completely closeted, self-hating and probably infected other people as well.  If someone is completely closed off about their own sexuality, so much that they can't even admit to themselves or anyone that they are gay then they aren't going to be reachable with a message of safer sex, use condoms, don't have random sex with strangers.  

Watched it all and it is one of the best series I have ever watched. It's absolutely masterful. Just to see the group of people develop and change was funny and heartbreaking in equal measure. If you enjoyed this watch Pride.

I still don't think I'm over episode three. 

15 hours ago, RosspCfc said:

Watched it all and it is one of the best series I have ever watched. It's absolutely masterful. Just to see the group of people develop and change was funny and heartbreaking in equal measure. If you enjoyed this watch Pride.

I still don't think I'm over episode three. 

Just finished watching it last night. Best series I've watched for a long time. 

Spoiler

Colin's storyline had me in tears when it was revealed what happened to him. 

Just finished this and can only echo what's been said already. Outstanding television.

I'm of an age where I remember the AIDS epidemic starting and the whole hysteria over how it could be caught. The disgusting homophobia at the time probably can't really be understood unless you had to live through it.

Apparently based on a true story this should definitely win all kinds of awards.

• 2 weeks later...