Terrors v Lions 13 February 2021

14 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Is the term "Arabs" a derogatory one to United supporters? I was told a variety of reasons; one due to the amount of sand put on the pitch and the other that they were one of the first sides in Scotland to drop the collar from the team shirt? I've no idea if either are accurate however I believe we have a number of United supporters on here referring to themselves as Arabs so presumably they're not offended by it?

As far as the team being called the "Terrors" - I'd always thought they were called "Dundee United Nil"?

:oops

Never started calling themselves Arabs until the 80s. Before then it was only ever Dundee fans that called them that and they hated it, don't let them kid you otherwise. Someone in their ranks started selling badges saying  'Proud to be an Arab' and it took off from there.

1 hour ago, Troy.1995 said:

Daft question, but is this game in danger of being called off? 🌨❄❄❄

Maybes aye maybes naw, they've got their USH on though so the ground shouldn't be frozen when they clear the snow away.

Just seen the photos of our pitch on our OS, got half of it cleared for the players to train on.

snow4.jpg

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

3 hours ago, Durnford said:

Is the term "Arabs" a derogatory one to United supporters? I was told a variety of reasons; one due to the amount of sand put on the pitch and the other that they were one of the first sides in Scotland to drop the collar from the team shirt? I've no idea if either are accurate however I believe we have a number of United supporters on here referring to themselves as Arabs so presumably they're not offended by it?

As far as the team being called the "Terrors" - I'd always thought they were called "Dundee United Nil"?

:oops

image.gif.dc646622519436f7cf93f94ee618d253.gif

4 hours ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

Never started calling themselves Arabs until the 80s. Before then it was only ever Dundee fans that called them that and they hated it, don't let them kid you otherwise. Someone in their ranks started selling badges saying  'Proud to be an Arab' and it took off from there.

So Dundee fans were just being racist cretins while United fans were progressive enough to claim the moniker as a badge of honour?

If you say so! 😘

I'll stick with the taking to a pitch of sand as well as Arabs would.

Proud to be an Arab 🧡

Edited by ArabFC

17 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

So Dundee fans were just being racist cretins while United fans were progressive enough to claim the moniker as a badge of honour?

If you say so! 😘

I'll stick with the taking to a pitch of sand as well as Arabs would.

Proud to be an Arab 🧡

Surprised you gave that slavering clown the time of day tbh

I was lucky enough to be up at Inverness to watch Robson slot the penalty and the obligatory pitch inspection on the final whistle.  As if that was not enough, hearing the result from Livi AND the circumstances surrounding it was the icing on the cake.

On the way down the road we stopped off at Dunkeld for the chippy only to bump into a mini bus of Dundee fans, one if them in a hired Dennis the Menace costume wearing a Dundee shirt.  To say there was much hilarity from us Arabs is an understatement.  

As for the Arab stuff.  Growing up I knew of the Arab nickname and from memory it was normally used by Dees as a derogatory term for us (and still is)

Not looking to point score...but back then I even remember Dundee playing a song over the tannoy at Dens written and sung by a local band using the Arab term (and other ethnic terms)  in a negative way that would never be played nowadays.   

I do not remember calling myself an Arab back then, maybe a Shed Boy on the odd occasion and never really used the term Terrors (although there are so g with it).  The Final Hurdle fanzine seemed to be the ones that started to reclaim Arab as a positive term (older fans might know better).

imgID109856157.jpg.gallery.jpg

45 minutes ago, Sugar_Army said:

I was lucky enough to be up at Inverness to watch Robson slot the penalty and the obligatory pitch inspection on the final whistle.  As if that was not enough, hearing the result from Livi AND the circumstances surrounding it was the icing on the cake.

On the way down the road we stopped off at Dunkeld for the chippy only to bump into a mini bus of Dundee fans, one if them in a hired Dennis the Menace costume wearing a Dundee shirt.  To say there was much hilarity from us Arabs is an understatement.  

As for the Arab stuff.  Growing up I knew of the Arab nickname and from memory it was normally used by Dees as a derogatory term for us (and still is)

Not looking to point score...but back then I even remember Dundee playing a song over the tannoy at Dens written and sung by a local band using the Arab term (and other ethnic terms)  in a negative way that would never be played nowadays.   

I do not remember calling myself an Arab back then, maybe a Shed Boy on the odd occasion and never really used the term Terrors (although there are so g with it).  The Final Hurdle fanzine seemed to be the ones that started to reclaim Arab as a positive term (older fans might know better).

imgID109856157.jpg.gallery.jpg

The Final Hurdle were a big part in reclaiming its use. I had heard about it before the fanzine appeared,  but I cant remember either my dad or my grandad using it.