Raith V Ayr 13/2

Wonder what the new manager will think of the size of our squad 23 players which includes Kerr away and the ever injured Moore, compared to the other squads in the league where Dundee have the biggest at 34 players and Arbroath at 22, nearly all the squads are into the high twenty’s. If we can I think we need at least another three players to compete.

35 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

They may be talentless but do they not at least run about a bit?

Chalmers can pass the ball but he can barely run the length of himself.

Chalmers actually played the perfect "sub whilst 1-0 up" role tonight but sadly it was still 0-0. 

I actually think he is a good player, just slows it down far too much.  He does seem like he has a decent range of passing though so might well suit a more direct style if it is indeed Hopkins that takes over.   Davie White actually touched on it post game on Saturday - nothing as such wrong with going direct and fast as long as the attackers know that's what is coming.  Kerr clearly had the midfield told to keep the ball and work it in to feet etc. 

Fun but completely irrelevant stat- that's now 6 games in a row between Ayr and Raith that nobody other than Lawrence Shankland has scored the first goal. 

That away game in Kirkcaldy in 2017 was where it all began for him.

Also don’t think I’ve celebrated a goal harder than his header against them into the SRE that season.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

That away game in Kirkcaldy in 2017 was where it all began for him.

Also don’t think I’ve celebrated a goal harder than his header against them into the SRE that season.

Aye.  Debut goal from about a yard out..   the header you mentioned was superb - what a day that was in the rain - Jamie Adams with the second soon after as well. 

My favourite though was the one where Moffat played him in and he lobbed the keeper at Starks in the Janaury game.  As I mentioned earlier in the thread I'd been on a wee day out in Kirkcaldy with my pal that lives in Dunfermline - an unusual pub crawl route to the game expecting a pumping as we had a lot of injuries and were off form.   Bell and Adams kicking everything in midfield and Shankland pulling off that finish made it a great day 

I thought that we played pretty well in the first half. We passed the ball well, controlled possession and to be honest, should have been ahead. The crosses were alright in the first half, Duku could have scored from a header and most of them reached the box.

2nd half was where the problems were to be honest. Ayr were playing with a back six at times, and even stopped bursting forward with the same pace they did. It's difficult to play against a team defending like that, however the quality of the balls in the box in the 2nd half certainly did not help.

However, if you can't win it, dont lose it - and we didn't look in any danger, and it was as assured a defensive and midfield performance we've seen this season - just lacking that bit up top.

In reality, the changes should have been made sooner. Duku should have been off at half time, and really the likes of Gullan need more than a token 10 minutes at the end. Duku is hampering our attacking threat at the moment, he's the type of player that doesn't really offer much if he isn't in rich scoring form.

A point gained, clean sheet and has us 2nd on merit now - which is something I would have gladly taken after the Arbroath debacle.

The positive spin on the above is only valid, however, if we break our horrendous Inverness record. I'm happy to take a point last night if we do the business on Friday - there is no excuse.

I thought the effort and some of the movement/passing on display from both sides was really good last night. Ayr defended very very well and certainly looked better than their league position suggests, I'm astounded they find themselves below Morton to be honest.  

I had the Sportsound commentary on during the game, whilst I commend their enthusiasm for the quality of the game, I do think they over egged it somewhat.  They were praising the quality of crossing, for example. 

However, lightyears above the servings of fresh keech that has been transmitted through our TV's in our other midweek matches.  

With our shambolic run coming to a halt on Saturday against Morton, and the interim management team’s second game in charge, I guessed our main aim would be not to concede.

Had we lost one, heads may well have gone down yet again that path of despair.

However, while there was some good play on the deck from RR, I felt that actual goal scoring chances were pretty even.

RR did play better football, but not more effective, as the result shows.

From an Ayr perspective, not losing is a bonus right now - our team was broken and needed a quick fix, and last night was just part of that

Wonder what the new manager will think of the size of our squad 23 players which includes Kerr away and the ever injured Moore, compared to the other squads in the league where Dundee have the biggest at 34 players and Arbroath at 22, nearly all the squads are into the high twenty’s. If we can I think we need at least another three players to compete.

I’ll bet you can’t name 34 Dundee players, maybe 24.

Duku either needs the ball played to his feet or someone in close support to benefit from his flicks. Armstrong should be off corners & free kicks till he gets it consistently right in training. Bene & Davo should drive forward over the half way line & pick out the runners. I'm fed up with the slow motion cross field passes which are always likely to be cut out or the too high punts to whoever is on the opposite wing. They need to take more responsibility. The commentators said they couldn't see anything in front of them, how about the opponents goal ? That is generally where we want to end up.

8 hours ago, CALDERON said:

I thought that we played pretty well in the first half. We passed the ball well, controlled possession and to be honest, should have been ahead. The crosses were alright in the first half, Duku could have scored from a header and most of them reached the box.

2nd half was where the problems were to be honest. Ayr were playing with a back six at times, and even stopped bursting forward with the same pace they did. It's difficult to play against a team defending like that, however the quality of the balls in the box in the 2nd half certainly did not help.

However, if you can't win it, dont lose it - and we didn't look in any danger, and it was as assured a defensive and midfield performance we've seen this season - just lacking that bit up top.

In reality, the changes should have been made sooner. Duku should have been off at half time, and really the likes of Gullan need more than a token 10 minutes at the end. Duku is hampering our attacking threat at the moment, he's the type of player that doesn't really offer much if he isn't in rich scoring form.

A point gained, clean sheet and has us 2nd on merit now - which is something I would have gladly taken after the Arbroath debacle.

The positive spin on the above is only valid, however, if we break our horrendous Inverness record. I'm happy to take a point last night if we do the business on Friday - there is no excuse.

I thought the effort and some of the movement/passing on display from both sides was really good last night. Ayr defended very very well and certainly looked better than their league position suggests, I'm astounded they find themselves below Morton to be honest.  

I had the Sportsound commentary on during the game, whilst I commend their enthusiasm for the quality of the game, I do think they over egged it somewhat.  They were praising the quality of crossing, for example. 

However, lightyears above the servings of fresh keech that has been transmitted through our TV's in our other midweek matches.  

Ian McCall found

IMG-20170714-WA0002.jpg