Raith V Ayr 13/2

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Looking forward to when the game gets called off and someone says that our “all weather pitch” is rubbish.

It’s amazing how many people were against that pitch when it was initially mooted. I’m sure if you were to trawl back through the Raith Rovers thread you’d find some belters.

In my view John Sim is a bit of a club hero for financing that pitch and importantly ensuring it was of a high quality. He doesn’t really get the credit he deserves for that. Just look at the games (and lack thereof) Inverness have played this season, in seasons gone by that could have easily been us.

It’s amazing how many people were against that pitch when it was initially mooted. I’m sure if you were to trawl back through the Raith Rovers thread you’d find some belters.
In my view John Sim is a bit of a club hero for financing that pitch and importantly ensuring it was of a high quality. He doesn’t really get the credit he deserves for that. Just look at the games (and lack thereof) Inverness have played this season, in seasons gone by that could have easily been us.
We obviously don't know what state he will leave us in when he leaves, or otherwise. He has pumped in alot of money for things such as the pitch and even the changes since boyd came in, which are obviously limited due to covid. It's obvious he is a fan and wants the club to succeed on and off the pitch though. He will look for a return on the money he's put in, but I doubt it will be anywhere near the figure he has actually invested.

I’ll put my hands up and admit I was not a fan of getting an artificial pitch, I still feel professional football should be played on grass. However I’ll happily put my hands up and say it’s been far better than I expected it to be, not sure if it makes money or costs less than maintaining a grass pitch but it’s certainly good in winter time when you look at the nick of some grass pitches. For me a good grass pitch will always be better than any artificial surface but a bad grass pitch is certainly worse.

Doesn't look like they would have been able to train on it tonight (I passed by at 5pm) but it might just have an outside chance of being playable for Saturday. If the weather forecasts hold and the worst of the snow passes tomorrow with temps above (just) freezing from mid day on Thursday (overnight zeros and highs of 2 and 3s) then as long as the ground staff can shift the snow it might just make it. 

Slim but better hope than if it was the grass. 

IMG_20210209_172026.jpg

I was looking at the forecast presuming it would be on.  Not supposed to be cold enough for an artificial surface to have problems Thursday onwards up by. 

I’m a mile or so from the ground and have had at least 6inches of snow in the last 24hrs.

We don’t need to worry about the pitch being frozen so much as making sure all the snow is cleared.
Not sure if the ground staff have machinery to help with this..... if not they’ll surely struggle.

Then there’s the issue of the players getting to the ground. You’d imagine it’ll be fine by the weekend but even the main roads in kirkcaldy have been impassable today.

Sure I heard that one of the preferred methods for snow removal off Bundesliga pitches is to use a tractor to drag a net over the surface.

Not sure if this was grass or artificial surfaces.

If the club is looking for help clearing snow then I'm available.

3 hours ago, Lang Toun Lad said:

Can the club allow volunteers in to help? I'd have thought there would be rules due to covid preventing that which would be a shame as I'm sure some people would be down.

Well it is outside and you'd be spaced apart. Take it getting to watch the game as ground staff would just be a coincidental bonus. 

9 hours ago, Lang Toun Lad said:

Can the club allow volunteers in to help? I'd have thought there would be rules due to covid preventing that which would be a shame as I'm sure some people would be down.

I'd imagine it would be similar to when the club asked for volunteers to spruce up the ground before the season started. 

I'm sure everyone had their temperature taken as they went in. 

In saying that, we weren't actually in lock down back then, so the rules might be different now. 

Edited by Specky Ginger

17 hours ago, Scottydog said:

Sure I heard that one of the preferred methods for snow removal off Bundesliga pitches is to use a tractor to drag a net over the surface.

Not sure if this was grass or artificial surfaces.

If the club is looking for help clearing snow then I'm available.

Quick review of winter care if 3G pitches suggests that you should either remove snow immediately or wait for it to melt...however, snow on the surface for more than a day is causing some level of damage, which is why an immediate removal via scooping is recommended.

After the snow has been down a bit, you start to get localized melt/refreeze areas that bind to the turf and attempts at removal can damage the surface. Also, the freezing can expand the infill, possibly damaging the surface and requiring inspection and repair before use. Pure dried vacuum (PDV)  salt can be broadcast across the surface before freezing temperatures to help prevent snow/ice buildup.

Even after removal/clearing/melting of the snow/ice you have concerns about frozen fibres and moisture in the padding surface. I would expect this weekends game to be off given the conditions and forecast.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Quick review of winter care if 3G pitches suggests that you should either remove snow immediately or wait for it to melt...however, snow on the surface for more than a day is causing some level of damage, which is why an immediate removal via scooping is recommended.

After the snow has been down a bit, you start to get localized melt/refreeze areas that bind to the turf and attempts at removal can damage the surface. Also, the freezing can expand the infill, possibly damaging the surface and requiring inspection and repair before use. Pure dried vacuum (PDV)  salt can be broadcast across the surface before freezing temperatures to help prevent snow/ice buildup.

Even after removal/clearing/melting of the snow/ice you have concerns about frozen fibres and moisture in the padding surface. I would expect this weekends game to be off given the conditions and forecast.

Could we not just borrow some of that Texas sunshine?

Just now, Enigma said:

Could we not just borrow some of that Texas sunshine?

It's a dark grey and struggling to hit 1C right now...this weekend is scheduled to see a low between -10C and -14C, plus plenty of ice and freezing rain, no snow.

It's a dark grey and struggling to hit 1C right now...this weekend is scheduled to see a low between -10C and -14C, plus plenty of ice and freezing rain, no snow.

Tomorrow night is scheduled to see a low between -10C and -14C in Dunfermline plus the whole of Fife is covered in snow and will be for weeks now with nae sun to thaw it out

Can we please have the glorious weather of Texas?

13 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

the whole of Fife is covered in snow and will be for weeks now with nae sun to thaw it out

The BBC has the thaw predicted to start on Sunday with temperatures between 5 - 8 degrees for over a week.