Raith V Ayr 13/2

1st of 3 home games from the next 4 fixtures, never an easy gave V's Ayr United, a team who will have play-off ambitions of their own. However a home win would see us 10 points clear of 5th place (depending on Morton result) with 12 to play. Would put us in a very strong position for a top 4 spot come May. Obviously ICT have a few games in hand but their matches will come thick and fast, playing 4 times in 2 weeks will take it's toll at some point...

...looking forward to a wee run of 3 fixtures from teams below us, would happily take 7 out of the 9 points on offer from the rest of this month

Will be interesting to see how we line up for this one. McGlynn made the point that his new signings would allow him to rotate the squad as it would be 'horses for courses' at certain times.

Normally I wouldn't change a winning team and there is nobody who played badly against Morton and deserves to be dropped. However, the best way to approach a game in terrible conditions on a poor pitch against, arguably, the worst side in the league on current form and personnel is not necessarily the best way to approach a home game on a good surface against a decent side like Ayr. We were defensively very solid at Cappielow which was encouraging but I am not sure how much of that was down to our new shape and how much could be put down to Morton's lack of quality. The likes of Walsh, Smith and McCowan will certainly provide a more substantial threat. 

I guess McGlynn's mind will be made up by player availability. If the likes of Bene, Matthews, Tait and Vaughan are back it will give him some food for thought. I'd definitely look to bring Bene and Matthews back in if they are fit. Sounds like Gullan could be out for a couple of weeks so you'd imagine Kennedy will replace him regardless of what formation we play. Hopefully Jamie MacDonald is fit but that seems unlikely. I fear the worst given how innocuous it looked. 

This will be a really big game for both teams. Victory for us would have us 10 points clear of Ayr with 12 to play which is a very healthy lead over a team who, along with Inverness, look to be the biggest competition to the teams currently in play off positions. We haven't won back to back league games since the opening 2 matches of the season and it is something we really need to sort out. This would be a great time to start. First time the team will have had a full week's training together in over a month so hopefully that stands us in good stead. 

This should hopefully be a decent game although I’ve got the fear given our pretty horrendous away record this season. What’s the Raith PPV like? Can’t say I’ve heard anything about it so far this season.

As for the actual game I can’t see Kerr changing anything. Hopefully the surface suits us and allows us to play the ball on the deck. If we can replicate our first half against Hearts in terms of defending, getting up the park and bringing McCowan and Walsh into the game then I think we will do okay.

We really need to start picking up more wins though. A draw is okay but if we want to take a playoff spot a win is important.

Think this has the makings of a really good game and quietly confident for this one. Would like to see Shooter start for this one, maybe in place of Chalmers, who for all his faults, can't be criticised for his appearance record. Must have started about every game so far this season.

Think this has the makings of a really good game and quietly confident for this one. Would like to see Shooter start for this one, maybe in place of Chalmers, who for all his faults, can't be criticised for his appearance record. Must have started about every game so far this season.

Who is shooter? How did he get this name?

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Brett McGavin on loan from Ipswich.

His dad was a pretty decent golfer called Shooter.

Bit arrogant though, should have done way better and probably would if he had some humility! :lol:

He tried to get into property development, did that ever work out?

The new signings have made how we’ll line up hard to predict, which has to be to our advantage. Not like earlier in the season where the formation and line up were pretty much set in stone. For example who starts up front: Ugwu, Abraham or Duku? All offer something completely different. Duku would be unexpected but we all know McGlynn occasionally likes to spring a surprise. Play this like we played the second half against Dundee and we’ll be laughing.

Don't think we should change too much from Saturday.  The defence shape looked solid, Hendry being back gave us some kind of ball presence in the middle of the pitch and drove us forward, and Ugwu gave us an out ball when we needed it and linked the play up well.  I would probably have Kennedy back in there, but I don't think there is need to change a huge amount.  That's probably the best side that would "cover all bases" in the sense that we should be able to be a combination of solid but still good on the ball.  Given our erratic form from game to game, I don't think a side that tries to be jack of all trades is necessarily a bad thing.  

We will have a decent number of options to use on the bench (hopefully).

There wasn't much in the first game and I don't see that changing on Saturday.  It's at least a must not lose for Ayr, so we will have to be on our guard.  

Edited by CALDERON

18 hours ago, Raith_Raver said:

If the weather's ok then we should be ok, but if not it'll be a slugging match and Ayr are likely to be  better at that than Morton.

Kerr seems to have changed our style this season, we've had quite a few "bore fests" (the match at somerset against yourselves included) however with the players we have such as McCowan, Walsh, Smith and Zanatta, you'd think we'd have a bit more quality on the footballing side but honestly we're very hard to predict at the moment. We were hard to weigh up against Hearts, however our new striker Andre Wright seemed to give us a much better balance in the side when we played Alloa last week.

I've also noticed your results have been a bit up and down, either very good or pretty poor, so it's another case of "Who knows ?" how this one is going to turn out !!

48 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

you'd think we'd have a bit more quality on the footballing side but honestly we're very hard to predict at the moment. ...

I've also noticed your results have been a bit up and down, either very good or pretty poor, so it's another case of "Who knows ?" how this one is going to turn out !!

Yes, it seems we've similar consistency problems. Some games we're playing mesmerising stuff, others its as if the team has never seen each other before. The contrast game to game is unfathomable. One interesting factor is that we seem to be psychologically affected by the conditions; I think that's why McGlynn decided to play a totally different style against Morton, which subdued our normal attacking game but it worked well on the day. Being at home I don't see us using that system on Saturday so I don't know what to expect performance/result wise. Likewise, who knows what Ayr will turn up.

14 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

Yes, it seems we've similar consistency problems. Some games we're playing mesmerising stuff, others its as if the team has never seen each other before. The contrast game to game is unfathomable. One interesting factor is that we seem to be psychologically affected by the conditions; I think that's why McGlynn decided to play a totally different style against Morton, which subdued our normal attacking game but it worked well on the day. Being at home I don't see us using that system on Saturday so I don't know what to expect performance/result wise. Likewise, who knows what Ayr will turn up.

It really is a strange league (again), without a doubt the worst team I've seen this season has got to be Dundee with possibly Arbroath being the best. Morton I don't rate (despite them beating us at Cappielow) and I felt the games with Dunfermline and yourselves were pretty even with the the sides cancelling each other out. Hearts are obviously way ahead of everyone (although still nothing special), Alloa play some really nice stuff at times but seem to lack belief and Inverness and Queens are both probably as weak as I've seen them in a good few years.

All in all it's just a lottery from week to week !!