The Great Playoff/2nd place Hunt

36 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

Pretty wild stuff. I think things like the fact that Hearts went 27 matches without a loss get lost in all of that. As do the keeper's brilliant save moments before the first goal and the absolutely shoddy defending on the second goal from the halfway line in.

I think that's what makes the tears even more salty.

Probably not the thread for it but, you any closer to swaying towards a team to support for next season?

24 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I think that's what makes the tears even more salty.

Probably not the thread for it but, you any closer to swaying towards a team to support for next season?

Yeah, I'm letting this season play out, but narrowed it down to roughly half a dozen teams. Dundee is one of them if they can get promoted, but so is United.

3 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

Yeah, I'm letting this season play out, but narrowed it down to roughly half a dozen teams. Dundee is one of them if they can get promoted, but so is United.

Honestly I wouldn't bother if I were you. Enjoying the mentalness of Scottish football without dedicating yourself to any of the teams sounds great, wish it were me tbh.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

6 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Honestly I wouldn't bother if I were you. Enjoying the mentalness of Scottish football without dedicating yourself to any of the teams sounds great, wish it were me tbh.

I've thought of this as well. It has been thoroughly enjoyable just watching this season play out.

image.png.da0164a06d3d084846cd8369706d69ae.png

Big big win for Dundee in their quest to get back firmly into the playoff positions. Their second league win of the year which snaps a 4-game winless streak, and brings them above QoS with 2 games in hand over them. Inverness 2nd best on the night, and they lose their 3-game unbeaten streak and leaves them in 7th. They still have games in hand over Queens and Arbroath who are above them, but are now 5 points behind Dundee with the same GP.

image.thumb.png.5dd4fea77e13f0b790d1022612b3cad3.png

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Ah well, top 4 was fun while it lasted.

Fixtures over the next fortnight will be very important & tell alot about the league positions when the teams will have more or less played the same number of games. 

Looking towards the weekend, and we have the big one (in terms of current standings in this thread) on Friday night, live on the telly...

image.png.a384f6b2662d444583b9565c06d18a53.png

It's 2nd vs 3rd in the Fife derby on Friday. Raith, the surprise package of the season, are level on points with the Pars with a game in hand to boot. In a true 6-pointer of a game, a win for the Rovers will see them climb to 3 points ahead with a game still in hand. Dunfermline can't afford to miss this opportunity to take their own 3 point lead in the chase for the elusive play-off bye, and somewhat nullify Raith's game in hand wildcard. Raith's form has been very hot-and-cold, with the last 9 games going WLWLWLWLW. Dunfermline meanwhile are on a similar inconsistent run, going LWLWL in their last 5. The way both teams are winning-then-losing-then-winning suggests a Dunfermline win, but that is of course meaningless. Dunfermline came back from 2-0 down when last at Stark's Park to earn a point, and hammered Raith 4-1 at East End Park last month, so they'll be looking to go undefeated in the regular season against their rivals. Should be a cracker.

Now for Saturday...

image.png.cb35ed9a42609f43279dd5c7758705e8.png

After their disappointing performance against Dundee, Neil McCann's Caley Thistle will be heading to bottom side Alloa's Recreation Park with a need to establish a strong run of form. They now find themselves 5 points short of the play-off spots, and are fast running out of games in hand to excuse it. Despite being bottom, everyone knows that Alloa are no mugs, especially at home as Inverness well know. Their visit to the Rec prior this season resulted in a 2-1 Alloa win, and the in game at home they could only muster a draw. Caley need their first league win over Alloa in over a year if they're to reignite their hunt for a play-off place.

image.png.62b768bb82dc5bc00cae6327f766b549.png

A very curious match-up with both teams who looked relegation candidates a couple of months ago, but are now the two in-form teams in the league and are seriously pushing for spots in the top 4. Arbroath are unbeaten in 8 and have won 4 of their last 6 games, and Dick Campbell's side find themselves in 6th, 3 points off 4th and looking well safe from the drop. Allan Johnston's Queens side meanwhile have fought through injuries and the toughest teams in the league and have picked up 20 of the last 27 available points in the league, including wins in each of their last 3 games. Having been knocked out of 4th place via goal difference, QoS will be eager to continue their improbable push, as well as avenge their last game against Arbroath where the Lichties came back from 2-0 down to draw them at Palmerston. Should be a fun one.

image.png.af0d906eba199b70cdd4edc892ec917a.png

After their big win over Inverness, Dundee travel to Tynecastle to take on league leaders Hearts. Dundee's win snapped a four-game winless streak, and put them back into 4th on goal difference over Queens, 3 points off Raith and Dunfermline (with a game in hand over the latter). With those two playing each other on Friday, a win (or even a point) for the Dark Blues would be massive in potentially bringing them right back into the debate around 2nd place. Hearts' shaky form of late is encouraging to that potential result, with the Jambos winless in their last 3. However, it'd be foolish to label Dundee as anything more than underdogs on their trip to Gorgie. Though having somewhat avenged it with their 3-1 home win in January, a win at Tynecastle would fully avenge the 6-2 opening day hammering. Not expecting much of anything, but you never know, it's pretty much a free hit for us.

image.png.bf9ddccd9b5278837b11c8728300d069.png

Finally, we have the 'Loser can probably be dropped from this thread' game. Morton and Ayr are both pushing the boundaries for what can be considered 'play-off candidates' right now. Morton have earned credible points in their last 2 games, but are sat 8th and are winless in their last 9 games. Ayr, fresh off from sacking Mark Kerr, are sat in 9th (though with a game in hand over the Ton), and have not beaten a time aside from bottom side Alloa since Dundee in November 2020. With 5 points from the last possible 27 and zero goals in the last 3 games, it's not surprising that Kerr got his marching orders. Despite having no manager, this game for Ayr will be massive if they want to stay in consideration: win and they've got a shot, lose (or even draw probably) and it begins to look highly improbable. Same goes for Morton.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

14 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Looking towards the weekend, and we have the big one (in terms of current standings in this thread) on Friday night, live on the telly...

image.png.a384f6b2662d444583b9565c06d18a53.png

It's 2nd vs 3rd in the Fife derby on Friday. Raith, the surprise package of the season, are level on points with the Pars with a game in hand to boot. In a true 6-pointer of a game, a win for the Rovers will see them climb to 3 points ahead with a game still in hand. Dunfermline can't afford to miss this opportunity to take their own 3 point lead in the chase for the elusive play-off bye, and somewhat nullify Raith's game in hand wildcard. Raith's form has been very hot-and-cold, with the last 9 games going WLWLWLWLW. Dunfermline meanwhile are on a similar inconsistent run, going LWLWL in their last 5. The way both teams are winning-then-losing-then-winning suggests a Dunfermline win, but that is of course meaningless. Dunfermline came back from 2-0 down when last at Stark's Park to earn a point, and hammered Raith 4-1 at East End Park last month, so they'll be looking to go undefeated in the regular season against their rivals. Should be a cracker.

Well never mind I guess lol. Dunfermline can't fulfill the fixture due to a positive COVID case and several players self-isolating.

https://spfl.co.uk/news/press-release-47515

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

Being under the Covid cosh could put a bit of spanner in the works of an already creaking Dunfermline machine. When Rovers had their brush with it it took some players a few weeks to re-find anything like form of previously, add in the extra fixtures being rescheduled and I don’t think it’ll  do them any favours.

image.png.a7e8fddaf8e2867832aaaa604bdc841c.png

Another disappointing dropping of points for Caley against Alloa. Neil McCann still without a win, and the play-offs only look further and further from them.

A wild game at Gayfield, where Queens turned a 2-goal deficit into a 3-2 lead at HT. They'd get a 4th and now find themselves joint on pts with 2nd as their incredible run continues. A blow to Arbroath's form and confidence, as they suffer the reverse of their own comeback at Palmerston and thensome.

An expected loss for Dundee at Tynecastle, though nowhere near as emphatic as their first visit this season. They now once again sit in 5th, and need some kind of form to threaten those above them again.

Massive win for Ayr today despite lacking a manager, and potentially revives their play-off hopes. They have plenty of games coming thick and fast, and a managerial boost could be big. Morton looking more and more like relegation play-off candidates than promotion play-off ones.

The table as it looks today:

image.png.352ef5ca074af17ae76fe08aa0fceaed.png