The Great Playoff/2nd place Hunt

I think at this point this can be a joint thread for challenging for the playoffs and the relegation battle. Dunfermline and Raith could potentially drop below fourth but aren't going to be in the relegation battle, Alloa could get out the bottom two but aren't going to finish fourth; everyone else could be anywhere from fourth to ninth.

Obviously momentum plays a huge part here which is why Morton are favourites for ninth and Queen of the South are far more likely to be finishing fourth than ninth. You'd imagine games in hand will see ICT and Dundee comfortably clear of any danger and battling for fourth, but with the number of head to heads teams are going to be landing right back in the shit on a weekly basis. If Ayr lose at Dundee on Tuesday they're in serious trouble.

18 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

You'd imagine games in hand will see Dundee comfortably clear of any danger

You would, wouldn't you? You'd also imagine a team with Jason Cummings and Charlie Adam in it would be doing a bit better in the first place.

31 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

You would, wouldn't you? You'd also imagine a team with Jason Cummings and Charlie Adam in it would be doing a bit better in the first place.

Adam, yes. He was magnificent in the game at Palmerston and he should be the best player in this division.

Cummings, as I've said previously, has been trading on a reputation of a couple of years at Hibs for a long time. He's done very little in the last 4 years and barely kicked a ball for his last 5 teams. Massively over-rated. I know he scored today although I've still no idea how Buchanan allowed it to go in, but that apart he was invisible. You wouldnt have known he was playing.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

7 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Oh I forgot, those goals don't count and are meaningless because he played for Hibs.

No idea where you are going with this. Nobody said they were meaningless, he was very effective at Hibs. But he's done nothing much in 4 years since. The "a team with Jason Cummings in it shouldnt be struggling" line doesnt stand up to much scrutiny. He's not really done any more than Osman Sow in the last 4 years but you're not suggesting a team with Osman Sow in it shouldnt be struggling. 

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

No idea where you are going with this.

Oh, nowhere. This entire discussion is meaningless. I think Cummings is a big player in this league, you don't, and nothing is changing either of our opinions.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

I wish AJ was that astute with us, he bought half a team to make up for poor signings most seasons.
I thought with dobbie out that would be curtains because in the last few seasons he pretty much kept you up. Somehow without him and hardly any players or pre season youre fourth. I dont get it. 
I'd argue that the injuries we currently have (with the exception of Shields) have been a blessing in disguise. He's had a lot less options and it's worked out extremely well. If we had a full squad to pick from I doubt we'd have ever seen the starting 11 from yesterday ever all start.

Dobbie was available for selection yesterday and even before a ball was kicked I was hoping another player would start instead of him. Dobbie is still capable of scoring at this level. It's just harder for him in this particular set-up.

19 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

I wish AJ was that astute with us, he bought half a team to make up for poor signings most seasons.

I thought with dobbie out that would be curtains because in the last few seasons he pretty much kept you up. Somehow without him and hardly any players or pre season youre fourth. I dont get it. 

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'd argue that the injuries we currently have (with the exception of Shields) have been a blessing in disguise. He's had a lot less options and it's worked out extremely well. If we had a full squad to pick from I doubt we'd have ever seen the starting 11 from yesterday ever all start.

Dobbie was available for selection yesterday and even before a ball was kicked I was hoping another player would start instead of him. Dobbie is still capable of scoring at this level. It's just harder for him in this particular set-up.

Agree with both of 19QOS19's points above.

The game seems to be passing Dobbie by now, I get the feeling its too quick for his ageing legs which is a shame.  I'd hate to watch him struggle.  In all my years watching Queens he's been the stand out - the season before he joined Swansea he was almost unplayable and was a joy to watch.  Remember him putting 4 past Clyde in 60 minutes in a 7 goal thumping and I'm sure he was taken off on the hour to avoid embarrassment because he was almost scoring at will that day.  Fabulous player.

On 20/02/2021 at 20:11, RossBFaeDundee said:

Two games in the midweek involving 3 teams in the race

One in fact. The Dundee-Ayr United game will seemingly never go ahead, that's now the game's FOURTH postponement.

Only action up at Caledonian Stadium tonight. A win sees Caley jump up from 8th to 5th, a draw still gets them to 6th.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

4 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Only action up at Caledonian Stadium tonight. A win sees Caley jump up from 8th to 5th, a draw still gets them to 6th.

image.png.e1897e09053a83ed59c3ea29c02dac6b.png

Well, after a wild ending up in the Highlands, ICT have to settle with 6th place for now, despite looking certain for a win just a few minutes before the end. A late turnaround making the score 2-1 before a penalty that looked to finish the game was missed by Miles Storey and Alloa received a penalty at the opposite end, where Alan Trouten dutifully scored the equaliser.  Inverness, now lacking the leadership of John Robertson (thoughts are with him and his family) for the forseeable future, will see this as a frustrating halt in their momentum, having not won back-to-back games since early December. Here is the hunt after tonight:

image.png.bb9d7e8dbaec975d854fa714f57c2190.png

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

4 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

image.png.e1897e09053a83ed59c3ea29c02dac6b.png

Well, after a wild ending up in the Highlands, ICT have to settle with 6th place for now, despite looking certain for a win just a few minutes before the end. A late turnaround making the score 2-1 before a penalty that looked to finish the game was missed by Miles Storey and Alloa received a penalty at the opposite end, where Alan Trouten dutifully scored the equaliser.  Inverness, now lacking the leadership of John Robertson (thoughts are with him and his family) for the forseeable future, will see this as a frustrating halt in their momentum, now winless in 4. Here is the hunt after tonight:

They won on Saturday.

And now, a "quick" look at Friday and Saturday's games:

image.png.8de91e3549fb9c1f500e54bca1ce8277.png

Live on the beeb on Friday night, we have the love-in game between Caley and Hearts. Fresh off tonight's disappointing result, a match at home against Hearts isn't a great game when you need to start winning games. Then again Hearts have failed to win in their last 2 games and haven't scored more than once in a game in the last month. If ever there were a time to get Hearts at home, this may be it.

image.png.91e2a2e3e75840b4eb3a22b3b22ebad7.png

The Red Lichties make their way to Somerset Park on Saturday, after another impressive win over Raith the weekend prior. Arbroath are in some form just now, winning 3 of their last 5 and are yet to be beaten this year having played 7 games. While Dick Campbell has the maroon machine back up again, Mark Kerr is desperately wanting to reignite Ayr's season. Sitting in 9th, the Honest Men need to assert themselves at home to continue their push for a play-off spot.

image.png.5391fb7d6ce4ad704d84a56605b0ff01.png

Dundee might actually get a game on this Saturday at Cappielow, as they visit Morton. The Greenock side are desperately needing wins, both to continue any push for the play-offs, and to combat the rise of lower teams going above them. Winless in 8, McElhone's men need to take inspiration from their impressive draw at Tynecastle last Saturday and win. Dundee also are desperate for wins, now winless in 3 and their unbeaten stretch well behind them. McPake, looking under more pressure, needs his first win at Cappielow before this season becomes even more farcical at Dens (it will regardless, I'm fully aware).

image.png.e2a390d7c52a15634a2641ebe795ff88.png

Potentially the match-up of the week, with in-form Queens hosting 2nd place Dunfermline at Palmerston. Having only lost once in their last 8 games, AJ's QoS side now hold 4th place and are looking to consolidate their position with another impressive performance against one of the better teams in the league. The Pars meanwhile come off an important win over Alloa, with new acquisition Craig Wighton providing a brace to move them clear in 2nd place. A win will potentially help expand that lead, and give Stevie Crawford's side a sense of comfort.

image.png.5b2b01e7e051de215ecb5ed0c521376c.png

And finally at Stark's Park, 3rd placed Raith take on bottom side Alloa. Raith need to find some consistency, with their last eight games being WLWLWLWL. Luckily for them, this stop-start points grabbing has been enough to securely place them in the play-offs so far, but in order to compete with Dunfermline for 2nd place they need to start getting consecutive wins, and a home game versus the league's bottom side is a decent start, though definitely not 'easy', as Inverness were made well aware of tonight.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee