The Great Playoff/2nd place Hunt

9 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

M'Voto was never worse than decent for us, and was often quality.

He was a good signing.

He was excellent for us until the last two or three games of the season. Just totally went to shit. 

Some share of the blame for that play-off embarrassment should also go to Connor Brennan. Across two legs, extra-time and a penalty shootout, he made no saves. Every Brechin shot that was on target went in. 

8 hours ago, CALDERON said:

We have completed in playoffs of some sort in the following seasons,

06/07, 07/08, 15/16, 16/17, 17/18, 18/19

We have won a grand total of one tie, against a Forfar side who ended up with 10 men.

We also won against a Forfar team who had less than a full complement. We got pumped in the first leg at Station Park 3-1 and they scored early on at East End.

They then absolutely imploded and 3 men sent off. We scored three and levelled the tie, taking it to extra time, then scored 3 more to win 6-1 on the day and 7-4 on aggregate.

Then Alloa pumped us 3-0 at The Recs.

9 hours ago, CALDERON said:

We have completed in playoffs of some sort in the following seasons,

06/07, 07/08, 15/16, 16/17, 17/18, 18/19

We have won a grand total of one tie, against a Forfar side who ended up with 10 men.

14 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

We have been in the play offs 6 times and we have only got through one tie. So one play off final in 6 attempts and we lost that. Our overall record (I think) is:

Played: 14
Won: 2   
Draw: 6   
Lost: 6

Seem to remember the Pars being in a couple of play off finals? So I think we might edge it in terms of the worst play off record!

Completely forgot about our play off defeat to Alloa in 17/18. Updated my post from yesterday to include it. What a grim sight.

4 hours ago, stu2910 said:

Any Dees fancy telling me if we’ve ever even played in a playoff?

We’ve never been involved at the bottom of the championship and were promoted and relegated automatically in 13/14 and 18/19.

Was looking it up and as far as I can team, I don't think we have, including the play-off setup in the 90s. Would've happened last year obviously, but something stopped that, so this'll be the first I believe.

Hope both other fanbases are accurate and that they're shite in the play-offs,and that we just have County or Accies to worry about. Won't Halen that way at all, but we can hope.

11 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

He was excellent for us until the last two or three games of the season. Just totally went to shit. 

Some share of the blame for that play-off embarrassment should also go to Connor Brennan. Across two legs, extra-time and a penalty shootout, he made no saves. Every Brechin shot that was on target went in. 

Don’t mentioned that c***s name. Lennox, Brennan, Stevenson and Penksa all cost us major points that season. 

20 minutes ago, Jack Jarvis, Esq said:

Don’t mentioned that c***s name. Lennox, Brennan, Stevenson and Penksa all cost us major points that season. 

Stevenson is a bit harsh, he wasnae a keeper...😂

The 2 duds who cost us that season were Yogi and Locke.

On 25/04/2021 at 09:22, stu2910 said:

Any Dees fancy telling me if we’ve ever even played in a playoff?

We’ve never been involved at the bottom of the championship and were promoted and relegated automatically in 13/14 and 18/19.

Dundee historian Kenny Ross posited this question on the Facebook group, and mentioned two occurrences where Dundee played in play-off games in their history, both of which we happened to win. Went and looked up the specific instances to quell my own curiosity:

- At the end of the 1897-98 season, we were tied in 7th place on points with Partick Thistle, and were required to play a play-off match to decide who got 7th (St Mirren and Third Lanark were tied on points for 5th btw, and f**k knows why they weren't required to do the same). Dundee beat Partick 2-0 in Glasgow to take 7th spot.

- During the 1917-18 and 1918-19 seasons, Dundee, Aberdeen and Raith were all asked to retire from the league due to travel issues (West Coast bias imo). In a slapdash 'Eastern Division' so far as I can muster (onljne sources aren't great about it), Dundee played Cowdenbeath in a two-legged tie to decide the champions. Dundee won 2-1 at Dens, and 1-0 at Central Park to claim the title.

100% record in play-off games, lads. Be afraid.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

Dundee historian Kenny Ross posited this question on the Facebook group, and mentioned two occurrences where Dundee played in play-off games in their history, both of which we happened to win. Went and looked up the specific instances to quell my own curiosity:
- At the end of the 1897-98 season, we were tied in 7th place on points with Partick Thistle, and were required to play a play-off match to decide who got 7th (St Mirren and Third Lanark were tied on points for 5th btw, and f**k knows why they weren't required to do the same). Dundee beat Partick 2-0 in Glasgow to take 7th spot.
- During the 1917-18 and 1918-19 seasons, Dundee, Aberdeen and Raith were all asked to retire from the league due to travel issues (West Coast bias imo). In a slapdash 'Eastern Division' so far as I can muster (onljne sources aren't great about it), Dundee played Cowdenbeath in a two-legged tie to decide the champions. Dundee won 2-1 at Dens, and 1-0 at Central Park to claim the title.
100% record in play-off games, lads. Be afraid.

So we’ve played a play off game and remain unbeaten in them for 123 years? Can’t be many teams in the world that can say that!

QoS had nothing to play for, and now a team legend and highly respected veteran player is leaving the team. If anything could rouse Queens to their form of January, this might just be it. Given the erratic form of both Dundee and Raith this year, neither of us can do anything but blame ourselves for being in this boat, but you gotta respect Dobbie for finding a way to make it interesting. A weak Hearts lineup and/or an early Raith lead could just set up some real fun, and God knows what an early Dobbie strike could do.

All I know for sure is, given the form this year, anything, and I mean anything, is entirely possible from all the involved sides. The idea of Raith getting slaughtered at Tyneside, while a last minute Dobbie equalizer brings it to GD, is far from impossible...as is Hearts rolling out the young team, which Queens proved is a pretty decent choice vs Raith (at least at keeper)! It should be interesting, if not nail-bitting and stomach churning.

For an interesting look, a large percentage of the money bet seems to be on Dundee finishing second...which should worry the Dundee fans. Odds are set not based upon the likelihood of a result, but upon getting the punter to make a bet that favors the company offering the odds, and given those betting numbers, it’s in the betting company’s favor to have Raith win 2nd. Which means they set odds to entice people to bet on Dundee, which seems to have happened, because they feel the opposite is more likely.