The Great Playoff/2nd place Hunt

Right, now for tomorrow's action... there's some pish on the TV, but the big game is pay-per-view.

image.png.e34e75599e1894df64abf442201649ed.png

Another massive game in the play-off run-in, this game could well kick a team out depending on the result. Inverness were finally defeated in the Scottish Cup on Saturday in the last moments of regular time, but their league form still looks impressive with their last 6 games being unbeaten. Neil McCann will not be taking this game lightly however, with Caley now outside the top 4 and needing to halt Dunfermline. It will require defeating a Dundee side they haven't been able to beat this season. Dundee fans do dread watching their side play at Caledonian Stadium, having never won a league game their in the club's history (their only win up there came in the Cup, led by Neil McCann via a goal from Scott Allan - now both on the other side). Dundee, 5 games unbeaten in the league themselves, need a win to officially qualify for the play-offs and to keep up the chase for 2nd. A draw would make making the top 4 a near certainty too, but a loss would inject a fair bit of panic, bring them, Caley and Dunfermline all within 2 points with 2 games to go each. Massive stakes up in the Highlands, will tradition prevail?

Just about getting my mind around that fucking bullshit sheer craziness that was that game.

image.png.328c85e3e9488c9f655cf41e3e3ed304.png

There's the scoreline, but that in itself does not explain the batshittery that was the last half hour of this game. Caley go a man down under questionable circumstances with 25 mins to go, then go two men down with 12 to go, under slightly less questionable circumstances. Dundee immediately score, but the goal is chopped off for offside, even though the ref thought it was a good goal and the linesman didn't flag for offside. 9-man Inverness then went and scored (didn't see it, had walked away from TV in pure rage), and Dundee immediately equalised. Mental ending to the game, which does not help either team immensely going into the last 2 games. Both teams continue their unbeaten streaks in the league, but draws really don't mean much at this stage.

image.png.fae5e59d8a99f7d51d44c43acfd582bf.png

Dundee now find 2nd place no longer in their hands, and will need help from Hearts on the last day (lol) if they manage to beat Raith this Saturday. They were also unable to confirm a play-off spot tonight, meaning even more uncertainty and a need to get results in both of their last 2 games.

As for Caley, they too will acquire assistance from other clubs if they're to jump back into the top 4. Now behind the Pars with the same no. of games played, wins against Hearts and Ayr are vital now.

A lot depends on Hearts' attitude in their games against ICT and ourselves on how the play-off line ups/positions will finish. Apparently they didnt over exert themselves against Morton. However they play us live on telly on the final day and are likely to put on a champions show for public consumption.

26 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Just about getting my mind around that fucking bullshit sheer craziness that was that game.

image.png.328c85e3e9488c9f655cf41e3e3ed304.png

There's the scoreline, but that in itself does not explain the batshittery that was the last half hour of this game. Caley go a man down under questionable circumstances with 25 mins to go, then go two men down with 12 to go, under slightly less questionable circumstances. Dundee immediately score, but the goal is chopped off for offside, even though the ref thought it was a good goal and the linesman didn't flag for offside. 9-man Inverness then went and scored (didn't see it, had walked away from TV in pure rage), and Dundee immediately equalised. Mental ending to the game, which does not help either team immensely going into the last 2 games. Both teams continue their unbeaten streaks in the league, but draws really don't mean much at this stage.

image.png.fae5e59d8a99f7d51d44c43acfd582bf.png

Dundee now find 2nd place no longer in their hands, and will need help from Hearts on the last day (lol) if they manage to beat Raith this Saturday. They were also unable to confirm a play-off spot tonight, meaning even more uncertainty and a need to get results in both of their last 2 games.

As for Caley, they too will acquire assistance from other clubs if they're to jump back into the top 4. Now behind the Pars with the same no. of games played, wins against Hearts and Ayr are vital now.

I would think likely losing McKay and Allardice for the final two games will hinder ICT’s quest, and possibly tosses a lifeline to Ayr (and, perhaps, an anchor to QoS)! Certainly good news for The Pars going forward.

Just now, TxRover said:

I would think likely losing McKay and Allardice for the final two games will hinder ICT’s quest, and possibly tosses a lifeline to Ayr (and, perhaps, an anchor to QoS)! Certainly good news for The Pars going forward.

They will almost certainly be appealed though, and I could see at least one of them (probably Allardice's) being rescinded, so it sure will be an interesting situation.

7 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

They will almost certainly be appealed though, and I could see at least one of them (probably Allardice's) being rescinded, so it sure will be an interesting situation.

Even if Allardice's straight red was downgraded to a yellow, he'll still get banned as he was already on a booking. 

9 hours ago, TxRover said:

Never thought I’d see a sentence including Brad McKay being out and it hindering the team he plays for.

He is horrendous.

So, we are the only team who can finish anywhere from 2nd to 5th. Where is Boredom Guy or whoever it is that usually does the %age probability tables of teams finishing in a particular position?

Although I have little confidence in our manager or our ability to grind out results, I do believe that we will finish 3rd, drawing to Raith and getting a point at Palmerston too. There is no chance we will win away at Inverness or Dunfermline, although we might sneak draws in the playoffs. I believe we are probably jammy enough to get a win at home against either and progress to the semi-final. I know there is no reason for it, but I am more confident of winning against Raith over two legs than either of the other two - no reason based in logic, just a weird hunch. Can't see us getting past any of Hamilton, Ross County or Kilmarnock, although beating Killie would be hilarious, if only to see how much of a meltdown @Dindeleux would have seeing one of his self-styled "Big 4" finally get relegated... Won't happen though.

Getting this weekend's preview out nice and early, since I just can't contain my excitement!

Spoiler

Can't contain your excitement if there is none.

image.png.62f6f7e849ac777d92694740f8801586.png

The last of the big head-to-heads between teams fighting for play-off places, and it might just be the biggest one of them all, and perhaps even a play-off semi-final preview in itself. After last night's debacle, Dundee need to get their wits back together and prepare for their final home game of the league season, against a Raith side suffering some injuries but is still picking up points. Both teams are unbeaten in their last 6 league games, showing that both are tough to beat, though Raith managed to win more of their games, and Dundee have drawn the last three. Already play-off bound, Raith just need a draw to confirm their 2nd place finish over Dundee, whilst a win for the Dark Blues confirms their play-off place without needing assistance from other games, and brings themselves just one point behind Raith going into the final game of the season. They came very close to getting the win on the Rovers' last visit to Dens, but they'll need to show a consistency that was lacking back then, and arguably in their last few games. The stakes are high, which means Dundee will bottle it completely we're in for a high-strung cracker of a game!

image.png.c0c99d8f8ce49abc17b79b44b2f45ed4.png

With Inverness being unable to complete the shock win last night, Dunfermline now have the inside track on 4th and potentially even 3rd if all goes well. Remarkable considering how dead in the water they looked just a few weeks ago. They'll need to ensure points from their last 2 games however if they're to qualify comfortably, and Dick Campbell's Arbroath side is probably not one they'll be overly keen to face. Having demolished Ayr last week, the Lichties are on the war path with the goal to achieve safety for next season still very much in their hands. A Dunfermline win could see them potentially slip into 3rd this Saturday should their Fife rivals dispatch Dundee at Dens. A loss brings them right back into the muck, especially if the fix is on in Gorgie...

image.png.2a700e153bd036a2b95d47a34875465a.png

Now... I'm not one to suspect certain teams of being in cahoots, *wink* but the ties between Hearts and Inverness, particularly this season, are unmissable for most. Hearts, having been anointed as champions (as much as their fanbase seems to resent that fact for some reason), have nothing more to gain this season *wink* and Caley, now on the outside looking in, are desperately needing points in both their last two games, preferably 3 points *wink*. ICT's 7-game unbeaten streak in the league should serve them well *wink* despite a tough outing at Tynecastle *wink*. Nevertheless, they'll need to fight *wink* very hard *wink* to somehow *wink* take all 3 points *wink* from this game, something I think they're verrrry capable of managing.

Spoiler

*wink*

5 hours ago, PB1994 said:

Never thought I’d see a sentence including Brad McKay being out and it hindering the team he plays for.

He is horrendous.

It actually strengthens us anyway. Robbie Deas has been playing at left back where he’s clearly not happy. He moves back to CB and Cammy Mackay comes back in at LB after losing his place through injury. 

3 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

It actually strengthens us anyway. Robbie Deas has been playing at left back where he’s clearly not happy. He moves back to CB and Cammy Mackay comes back in at LB after losing his place through injury. 

Cameron Harper, shirley?

4 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Getting this weekend's preview out nice and early, since I just can't contain my excitement!

Reveal hidden contents

The last of the big head-to-heads between teams fighting for play-off places, and it might just be the biggest one of them all, and perhaps even a play-off semi-final preview in itself. After last night's debacle, Dundee need to get their wits back together and prepare for their final home game of the league season, against a Raith side suffering some injuries but is still picking up points. Both teams are unbeaten in their last 6 league games, showing that both are tough to beat, though Raith managed to win more of their games, and Dundee have drawn the last three. Already play-off bound, Raith just need a draw to confirm their 2nd place finish over Dundee, whilst a win for the Dark Blues confirms their play-off place without needing assistance from other games, and brings themselves just one point behind Raith going into the final game of the season. They came very close to getting the win on the Rovers' last visit to Dens, but they'll need to show a consistency that was lacking back then, and arguably in their last few games. The stakes are high, which means Dundee will bottle it completely we're in for a high-strung cracker of a game!

With Inverness being unable to complete the shock win last night, Dunfermline now have the inside track on 4th and potentially even 3rd if all goes well. Remarkable considering how dead in the water they looked just a few weeks ago. They'll need to ensure points from their last 2 games however if they're to qualify comfortably, and Dick Campbell's Arbroath side is probably not one they'll be overly keen to face. Having demolished Ayr last week, the Lichties are on the war path with the goal to achieve safety for next season still very much in their hands. A Dunfermline win could see them potentially slip into 3rd this Saturday should their Fife rivals dispatch Dundee at Dens. A loss brings them right back into the muck, especially if the fix is on in Gorgie...

Now... I'm not one to suspect certain teams of being in cahoots, *wink* but the ties between Hearts and Inverness, particularly this season, are unmissable for most. Hearts, having been anointed as champions (as much as their fanbase seems to resent that fact for some reason), have nothing more to gain this season *wink* and Caley, now on the outside looking in, are desperately needing points in both their last two games, preferably 3 points *wink*. ICT's 7-game unbeaten streak in the league should serve them well *wink* despite a tough outing at Tynecastle *wink*. Nevertheless, they'll need to fight *wink* very hard *wink* to somehow *wink* take all 3 points *wink* from this game, something I think they're verrrry capable of managing.

Reveal hidden contents

*wink*

0187DBF6-9CB9-4A46-A549-6B2C0D482CC7.gif

4 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

*wink*

Think you’re being a bit mean here. Hearts’ under 8 reserves will give ICT a tough game IMO.

7 hours ago, PB1994 said:

He is horrendous.

That’s an interesting statement, in that he’s started 3/4 of your matches.