The Great Playoff/2nd place Hunt

We've a couple of relevant games on this Tuesday

image.png.a4edef60eebb28f2d0b7e0c2f2020754.png

Two clubs knocked out of the Cup today, albeit Dundee held their own against Top 6 opposition whereas Ayr lost to a League One team that were playing their 4th game in a week. However, the Honest Men have handed the Dees their arses on a plate home and away this season, and Dundee certainly cannot afford yet another battering if they've any intention to push Raith for that 2nd spot. Thankfully for them, Cammy Smith, a frequent terror for those in Dark Blue, has moved stateside and been replaced by familiar face Josh Todd. Ayr need to separate themselves from the relegation play-off talk, and a win very well could bring them back into contention for a potential top 4 finish. Dundee go up to 2nd with a win of 9-0 or bigger, so put your money on it folks!

image.png.b2eeee3b46f64e9bd84f5796d6a381f4.png

Neil McCann's unstoppable Highland force heads south to Greenock to try and return to the top 4 this Tuesday. The Caley Jags are coming fresh off of an impressive 3-1 away derby win in the Cup against top-tier Ross County, and have now won their last 5 games in all competitions, as well as being unbeaten in 6. Morton also are coming off of a cup win, though it took them until extra time to get past East Fife. Morton haven't lost to ICT in either game this season, coming from behind with 10 men to draw them at Cappielow and beating them 0-1 up in Inverness. Like Ayr, a win for Morton is more important from getting away from 9th, but a good couple results and they're potentially back in the promotion play-off talk. A Caley win could see them up to 3rd if Ayr beat Dundee.

I concur with the latter.
The former... I do not.

League has been excellent this year, we’re into the last few games and you can’t separate the teams. Honestly wouldn’t bet on any Championship game at the moment. Everyone is beating everyone. I’m glad we’ve got points on the board as I’m not going into any of the last 5 expecting.

League has been excellent this year, we’re into the last few games and you can’t separate the teams. Honestly wouldn’t bet on any Championship game at the moment. Everyone is beating everyone. I’m glad we’ve got points on the board as I’m not going into any of the last 5 expecting.
Laying Hearts is probably decent value tbh. Useless c***s.

3 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I had a dream last night where I was watching Dundee win the playoff final

1950’s Rock ‘n’ Roll pioneer Bill Haley scored the winner

Lad's been dead 40 years but I'd take that.

Draws in both please.

The table is brilliant, thanks to the existence of play-offs and the season being shorter. We could still wind up in either play-off, though I suspect we'll end the season in neither. 

If the lower placed teams win, that's great for any prospect of getting up, but genuinely makes relegation more possible.  The reverse results basically lead to a reverse outcome for us.

Draws that see one of the available points disappear into the ether in each game, would be ideal for us.

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Draws in both please.

The table is brilliant, thanks to the existence of play-offs and the season being shorter. We could still wind up in either play-off, though I suspect we'll end the season in neither. 

If the lower placed teams win, that's great for any prospect of getting up, but genuinely makes relegation more possible.  The reverse results basically lead to a reverse outcome for us.

Draws that see one of the available points disappear into the ether in each game, would be ideal for us.

For me, we're realistically in a 3 way fight for fourth, but with the possibility of slipping back out of that. Dundee will finish above us. So, a Dundee win and a draw, please.

2 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

For me, we're realistically in a 3 way fight for fourth, but with the possibility of slipping back out of that. Dundee will finish above us. So, a Dundee win and a draw, please.

I think you're probably right, but a suitably stuttering Dundee could still be catchable given that we play them on the last day.

Our lousy goal difference means we'll have to overhaul teams on points to get above them.   I just think if someone gets 3 points it makes either missing out on promotion play-offs or being sucked into the relegation ones likelier. 

Mulling over the schedule, and found some amusement in the predicament that Hearts might find themselves in. A loss to Alloa on Friday (which has already happened this year, though in the Cup), a Dundee double Tue and Sat and/or a Raith win Sat would leave Hearts 8 points clear of one of two chasers, even on games, and with four to play. If the Morton game isn’t rescheduled for the 13th, then both Raith and Dundee would have the chance to pull within 5...

Now, there is very little chance it will happen, but the frothing at the mouth and the screams of despair from Tynecastle would be delicious...and if the Morton game gets plonked on the 13th, and they managed to lose that....... 

42 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Mulling over the schedule, and found some amusement in the predicament that Hearts might find themselves in. A loss to Alloa on Friday (which has already happened this year, though in the Cup), a Dundee double Tue and Sat and/or a Raith win Sat would leave Hearts 8 points clear of one of two chasers, even on games, and with four to play. If the Morton game isn’t rescheduled for the 13th, then both Raith and Dundee would have the chance to pull within 5...

Now, there is very little chance it will happen, but the frothing at the mouth and the screams of despair from Tynecastle would be delicious...and if the Morton game gets plonked on the 13th, and they managed to lose that....... 

This would be 1986 levels of banter.

46 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Just imagine if we had another round of fixtures like we usually would, the potential chaos would've been sensational.

Not inconceivable that Hearts draw their next three games, leaving them on 50 points going into the last game.

If Raith win their next 4 they’d be on 48 going into the last game. More unlikely but still not inconceivable.

Hearts have Raith at Starks on the final day.
A Raith win there gives the best final day since.... ever?

10 hours ago, stevoraith said:

Not inconceivable that Hearts draw their next three games, leaving them on 50 points going into the last game.

If Raith win their next 4 they’d be on 48 going into the last game. More unlikely but still not inconceivable.

Hearts have Raith at Starks on the final day.
A Raith win there gives the best final day since.... ever?

How sweet that would be after all the shit they gave us pre-season. 

Unfortunately can't see it happening.