The Great Playoff/2nd place Hunt

On 09/02/2021 at 18:09, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Points per game and the equivelant if the rate continues over 27 games)

Raith 24/14 = 1.71 Pts/Pld (46/27)
Dunfermline 24/15 = 1.60 Pts/Pld (43/27)
Dundee 20/13 = 1.54 Pts/Pld (42/27)

-------------------------------------------------
Inverness 14/11 = 1.27 Pts/Pld (34/27)
Ayr United 17/14 = 1.21 Pts/Pld (33/27)
Morton 17/15 = 1.13 Pts/Pld (31/27)

Inverness may have a potential 12 points from 4 games in hand on Dunfermline but form so far suggests that five or six  points is probably a more realistic expectation

At the current rate of progress Hearts should have the championship sewn up around game 22 which is Queen of the South Away on 27th of March

I think it's mathematically certain that Dundee's visit to Tynecastle on 6th march is going to be a meaningful match for the hosts

but if it's offiicial before March is out then then Dunfermline will have brighter prospects on the 3rd of April when they come to Tynecastle for game 23 (Especially if we make it to the cup semifinal).  

For the final two games (Hearts vs Inverness, Raith vs Hearts) if our opponents are dire need of a result then I'd expect them to get it.

Dead Rubber end of season games are always a bit weird but a dead rubber games in front of empty stadium would be weirder still.

We play Hearts at home on the 3rd of April, not away.

It may only be one game, but we finally have an updated table! And a new contender to boot!

image.thumb.png.b3be9f84b4aef5747fd9a073d71178bc.png

...oh, and these lads too I suppose.

image.thumb.png.7b0e61650464a8670b9087165f407402.png

Sorry Arbroath, if you had beat Alloa then I may have included you too.

Massive, massive win for Queen of the South tonight, who despite a litany of injuries and Mebude's Monopoly antics keep picking up points, including the big 3 today. Suddenly they're above Ayr and Morton (though both have games in hand over them). A hammer blow meanwhile for Caley, but they're still well involved even if they are second bottom, though it will require a removal of the rust and a serious uptick in form.

Returning the focus to Saturday's games, Queens will look to keep up this impressive form despite said injuries and suspension, and will need to defeat a Dundee side that has yet to lose at Dens all season, and for over a year in total. But then again, ICT was undefeated at home this season too before tonight... a win could see QoS go up to 4th, remarkable considering their early season form, albeit with having played more games than most teams around them. Dundee will no doubt be wary, but will hope to return to winning ways themselves.

Caley meanwhile need to shake this off and prepare for a tough test on Saturday at Somerset away to Ayr. The Honest Man have had a similar patch of no playing, so the match rustiness-factor might actually favour ICT in this one, but they definitely need something if they're to keep their playoff hopes alive. Ayr winning could well bring them back to life and see a strong push for themselves.

If asked in October I'd have bitten your hand off for 8th, however there's now a feeling that if we finish out of the top 4 (more than plausible) it'll be a massive anticlimax.

Surely the title is gone, Hearts will win this league by mid April probs with 4 or 5 games left so it really is all about spots 2,3,4 and of course 9 & 10.

As usual in this league it's not about any team going on a great run as much as merely doing fairly reasonably and watching the rest cut each other throats with draws. With that in mind I think we will see a close run thing with the promotion play off slots. 

I had ICT down to do well this season but they've been louping! (particularly results wise) in games  so far,  if they find form they could go on a run and they'd be well in the mix fortunately for the rest that's not looking likely. With a lengthy run of 2 games a week they will either start winning and find confidence and form or end up in a play off spot that they don't want, canny see it being the former.

Both Alloa Arbroath have had much poorer starts than I expected and I now doubt either will climb above 8th at best, (cue Arbroath turning Rover over on Saturday and going on a run! (QotS style)  Also having had a poor season Morton,  Ayr and QotS. But Queens are the form side of the lot and unless they get rumbled soon they could be a threat to the top 4. Cant see Ayr and Morton  bettering 5th without a collapse above.

Dundee are hot and cold too and will struggle to finish 2nd but have enough even under McPake  and 3rd or 4th wont be an issue I'm sure.

Dunfermline have gone off the boil of late but like Dundee still have enough quality to comfortably finish 2nd or 3rd.

With Rovers my natural pessimism comes to the fore and I most fear the previously mentioned collapse/anticlimax, however we do sit 2nd and we've showed we are a decent team so why not?  Well for me the worry comes from the frailties exposed by ICT (cup), Hearts (cup & League) and Qots and Dunfermline in the league, games where we didn't compete. For that reason I think at best we will finish 4th or 5th and will likely end up having to fight to get results against Dundee at Dens on the penultimate day and Hearts at SP on the last day, failure to do that could see us drop out and either Ayr or Queens get 4th.

Upstairs I think Ross Co will be relegated and the play off spot will be a 4 way fight with the current incumbents, Killie are my pick unless Tommy Wright can work a miracle, they look dire but tbh I'd still fancy them over 2 legs against any of the championship sides.

I'd kill for a play off final where Rovers relegate Yogi!

My original prediction was: Hearts, Dundee, ICT, Dunfermline, Ayr, Raith, Arbroath, Morton, Alloa, QotS.  

Not much in the mood as expected after today, so here's today's scores and the updated table.

image.png.9dc38636dd44063221b06c4044ee79fe.png

image.thumb.png.9402d6cb47de44da50e6324179f7e7eb.png

f**k me, do I have to include Arbroath in here too? As I said in the preview, no trip to Gayfield is easy, and Raith's inconsistencies continue with a 1-0 loss to the the Lichties. Like Morton and QoS, their games played is their biggest issue, but suddenly they're 6th in this very tight league. Raith relinquishing their strength over Dunfermline today, and can't get back-to-back wins to save their lives at the moment.

Sounds like it was a testy one against Alloa today, but Dunfermline pull away with a 2-1 win with new signing Craig Wighton doing the business and bagging a brace. As expected , I think he'll be a great signing for the Pars, and already has them 3 points clear in 2nd, albeit with Raith having a game in hand. Nevertheless, great results for Dunfermline and they'll be looking to consolidate that position.

A messy one on a horrible pitch at Dens, with Queen of the South continuing their impressive run with a 3-2 win over Dundee today. Queens find themselves in the play-off spots, and are definitely the form team in the league now if they weren't before already. Match rust aside, a thoroughly unimpressive performance from the Dark Blues today, and the 8-match unbeaten run is long, long in the past. Still have the advantage of games in hand, but more performances like that and we can kiss goodbye any hopes of a play-off spot, never mind 2nd place.

Massive win at Somerset for Inverness Caley Thistle, who bounce right back from their own home defeat from QoS and despite being eighth find themselves 4 points from 4th with 4 games in hand. Like Dundee, an element of match rust likely in there for Ayr, but they'll be bitterly disappointed with that result today. Being in 9th doesn't mean much right now, as they too are just 4 points behind 4th, but the Honest Men are really needing to build some momentum.

Finally, a very big point today for Morton at Tynecastle, one they wouldn't have been expecting. It's anyone's chance to grab that 4th spot right now, and this point will only help the Ton's cause.

Two games in the midweek involving 3 teams in the race:

image.png.2798c9f14e4cee5306f71bd3843afb2f.png

After both sides produced shitey pish performances in their first game in weeks today, Dundee and Ayr might finally play their game on the worse-for-ware Dens pitch. Dundee in 5th, really needing to pick things up and utilise their games in hand. Ayr in 9th (not as big an issue as it sounds), definitely need to find form and if they do they'll be decent candidates for 4th.

8th placed Inverness come off their big win at Somerset today and have a home game against bottom side Alloa. Caley should be expected to win and if they do they'll be looking really good with having several games in hand, but any team can beat anyone on their day, so it's far from guaranteed.

Two games in the midweek involving 3 teams in the race:
image.png.2798c9f14e4cee5306f71bd3843afb2f.png
After both sides produced shitey pish performances in their first game in weeks today, Dundee and Ayr might finally play their game on the worse-for-ware Dens pitch. Dundee in 5th, really needing to pick things up and utilise their games in hand. Ayr in 9th (not as big an issue as it sounds), definitely need to find form and if they do they'll be decent candidates for 4th.
8th placed Inverness come off their big win at Somerset today and have a home game against bottom side Alloa. Caley should be expected to win and if they do they'll be looking really good with having several games in hand, but any team can beat anyone on their day, so it's far from guaranteed.
Enough about relegation cannon-fodder, this is a topic for us with a realistic chance of promotion!

2 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Amazing stuff from QOTS considering where they were at the start of the season.

Can’t fill a bench but beat ICT then Dundee away. 

We had 12 fit outfield players who had ever played a game for the midweek trip to Inverness. We did have two back today in Fitzpatrick and McCabe, though Goss was missing. 

I wish AJ was that astute with us, he bought half a team to make up for poor signings most seasons.

I thought with dobbie out that would be curtains because in the last few seasons he pretty much kept you up. Somehow without him and hardly any players or pre season youre fourth. I dont get it. 

8 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

I wish AJ was that astute with us, he bought half a team to make up for poor signings most seasons.

I thought with dobbie out that would be curtains because in the last few seasons he pretty much kept you up. Somehow without him and hardly any players or pre season youre fourth. I dont get it. 

A massive exaggeration if you mean January signings.

In 15/16 he brought in 1 permanent in February (Reid) and 1 loan in January (McKay).

In 16/17 he brought in 0 players in January. He bought in 1 in December (Morris).

In 17/18 he bought in 2 permanent (Robinson and Craigen) and 3 on loan (Vincent, Beadling and Armstrong(.

In 18/19 he made 0 as he was punted.