The Great Playoff/2nd place Hunt

Well, with their win against Ayr last night and Dunfermline's capitulation at Gayfield today, I feel it's fair to say that Hearts are away with the title. We all expected it, but I'm sure we were all hoping it would last longer than halfway through the season.

Thus, the big prize for those higher up the table is the illustrious 2nd place and a bye in the Premiership play-offs. With the dense layer of shite that has collected itself at the bottom of the Prem, a 2nd place finish could present a golden opportunity for a lucky team. As it stands, the Fifers are deadlocked in their fight for the place, with Raith holding the benefit of a game in hand over their rivals Dunfermline. Slightly further back are the always disappointing Dundee, though despite being 4 points behind both Fife teams are accumulating games in hand at a rapid rate thanks to our awful pitch. The players at the club should be able to make a good go at the runners-up spot, but with McPake in charge, ineptitude is never too far around the corner. Certainly need to fix the away record if there's to be any hope.

As for the outsiders looking in as of right now, it's been a rough week for Ayr United and Morton who have both suffered defeat, and remain 3 points short of Dundee who have a game in hand over them (2 in the case of Morton). Inverness CT's issues with being unable to play games continued (sorry lads), and with 3/4 games played over pretty much everyone, are the true wild cards of the playoff hunt at the moment. Their recent record however does not instill confidence, and they desperately some dubs on the board.

image.png.e41728fa2eb8685a608c56685e0b3a7c.png

We have a couple of notable games during the midweek scheduled. Dundee are planning to meet Ayr United at Dens on the third attempt on Tuesday evening, though considering the state of the Dens Park pitch today, I wouldn't put money on the game going ahead this time either. More hopeful is Inverness' home game on Wednesday against bottom side Alloa, who are coming off a very important win over QoS today. As I said earlier, draws won't do for Caley if they have any aspirations to get back in amongst the mix, and a matchup at home against the side at the foot of the table is about as expectant a situation for a win as you could probably get.

image.thumb.png.c17ce3b7ec57a706a7782ba0a5f705d1.png

I'm hoping that this thread can actually be concluded at the natural end of the season unlike the thread I created last season. WIll look upon next week's games after the conclusion of the Caley-Alloa game.

We've won 2 games in the last 10. We lost 2 and drew the rest.

If won even a couple of the drawn games we'd have a great chance of second, but I fear that our trajectory is in a negative direction at the moment.

Big one at East End next Saturday.

Huge blow for us today. We were very good against Raith on Wednesday and we were hoping to go on a good run from the confidence. 

Genuinely pissed off that the game was allowed to continue today. Clearly would only benefit the team that plays there every second week. Never seen anything like it 35 years of watching football.

I really hope we use this a motivation from here and kick on to second place. 

Can't see Raith coming second with that defence. Think Dundee will edge it due to better fire power. McManus, O'Hara and McCann is a middling championship selection to choose from.

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

We've won 2 games in the last 10. We lost 2 and drew the rest.

If won even a couple of the drawn games we'd have a great chance of second, but I fear that our trajectory is in a negative direction at the moment.

Big one at East End next Saturday.

Dunfermline with 2 wins in 10 vs. Dundee with 1 win in 7 away from home this season. What a match-up it shall be.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

21 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Hearts are away with the title. We all expected it, but I'm sure we were all hoping it would last longer than halfway through the season.

In a similar vein, I'm sure you're all hoping that the sun won't rise tomorrow. 

9 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Dunfermline with 2 wins in 10 vs. Dundee with 1 win in 7 away from home this season. What a match-up it shall be.

The games between us at East End are usually quality. Can't mind the last shite one.

0-0.

2 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Dundee keeping a clean sheet anywhere, never mind away from home. What a world that would be.

Just shoot from distance and you'll have a great chance of scoring.

3 hours ago, Chubbychops said:

Huge blow for us today. We were very good against Raith on Wednesday and we were hoping to go on a good run from the confidence. 

Genuinely pissed off that the game was allowed to continue today. Clearly would only benefit the team that plays there every second week. Never seen anything like it 35 years of watching football.

I really hope we use this a motivation from here and kick on to second place. 

Can't see Raith coming second with that defence. Think Dundee will edge it due to better fire power. McManus, O'Hara and McCann is a middling championship selection to choose from.

It was the first time the weather had been like that since Partick Thistle January 2020 on Wednesday night v ICT. It’s no like that every week ffs.  

We are well in the mix. Dundee and Dunfermline should finish above us, but we found a way to grind a result out yesterday. Replicating that and turning some of these defeats into draws at least could see us well in the hunt for 2nd come the end of the season. 

Absolutely no idea who’ll make up the top 4 apart from Hearts but I’m not sure any of us are good enough to beat 11th place in the Premiership. Ourselves and Dundee are weak at the back and hope to score more than we conceded. Pars despite giving us a doing are nearly bottom of the form table (7th over 6 games and 8th over 10) Morton look like they’re going down the table not up. Ayr can’t seem to get a run going and ICT while definitely having the potential to get into the top 4 are getting a serious fixture pile up that will surely work against them, losing Kennedy to ourselves also won’t have helped.

With DUFC in free fall these last few weeks had started to imagine the possibility of a Dundee derby for the playoff 
if asked who do you want to win I’d confidently say I’d like the c***s  to win🤭

On current form I think it’ll be Killie occupying 11th place with Accies down in 12th.

Nobody expected us to be in this position but here we are. Yesterday's win over Morton was very reminiscent of our season under McKinnon where we went to Greenock and secured the playoffs; we got a win after grabbing a solitary goal and a display of good game management.

I think Wednesday was the exception rather than the norm. Three of our goals were down to daft defensive errors rather than anything else and the first 45 was pretty tight. While we're hardly the shining beacon of defensive football I think we'll look a lot more solid when we get Ross Matthews back. If we manage top 4 then it's an incredible achievement. If we manage anything above that then it should be jotters for Crawford or McPake given the differences in budgets. 

If we dont make the play-offs, which is entirely possible/probable, it will be an abject failure. 

Caley and Ayr haven't been at it, the team that came up from League One is challenging and Hertz are running away with it as predicted. 

If we cant be top 4 in this league, with this squad, then we should just stay down here forever n stop wasting money. 

Bizarrely, I think we have more chance of beating the team bottom of the Premiership than we do beating teams at the bottom of the Championship.