Queens v Hearts

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It's not a clear yellow. It's contentious and debatable. The criteria is denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity for a player heading towards goal. All the boxes are ticked for me. It doesn't have to be square in front of goal to be an obvious goalscoring opportunity.

It honestly isn't. It's a really clear yellow.

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It's not a clear yellow. It's contentious and debatable. The criteria is denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity for a player heading towards goal. All the boxes are ticked for me. It doesn't have to be square in front of goal to be an obvious goalscoring opportunity.

Well we're debating it right enough, but you're apparently the only one who thinks it's anything other than a yellow.  

4 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Well we're debating it right enough, but you're apparently the only one who thinks it's anything other than a yellow.  

I think it could have gone either way. Texted by a couple of mates during the game who both felt it was a clear red. One of them is a Hearts fan. It's the very definition of a debatable decision. On balance I'd say a yellow but it's not clear cut IMHO.

Edit to add it's great that we're debating whether it's a debatable decision. 🤣 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Our pitch is awful and it's definitely one of the worst plastic ones on offer. If the ball was getting stuck under the Hearts players feet I'd be sympathetic to then a bit. But they were passing the ball around fine and really well at time. The pitch or the players control wasn't an issue. The problem was the players' passes weren't in the right area or anywhere near dangerous or direct enough. That's down to Neilson to direct the side, not the pitch. My Hearts supporting brother messaged me last night slagging him for his comments and all the Hearts posters on here seem to be in agreement that he's talking shite so the only person he's kidding with his idiotic comments is himself.

Will be replaced in the Summer.

FWIW I thought from the angle we watched from that our penalty was never a penalty.

Halkett's tackle on Dapo was a clear yellow and I was surprised he didn't pick up a second for his OTT reaction.

Irving's take-out of Jones was a red for me.  I get the feeling Neilson felt the same given that the foul happened right in front of the bench and he hooked Irving immediately afterwards as Irving would probably have walked the next time he miss-timed a challenge.

It's rare that I have a good word to say about AJ but credit where credit's due, he had us incredibly well organised and up for the game.   No player could be criticised for lack of effort effort which is something I wouldn't have said in the first third of the season.

Post match, Neilson just came across as a whiney little man-bitch.  Which made-up for the disappointment of the late equaliser, slightly.

Edited by Slipmat

I think theres enough doubt over the Halkett challenge to mean it had to be yellow. Yes, Mboude is behind him and potentially through on goal, but hes still quite far out and a little wide.

If there was such a thing as an orange card, the Irving challenge would be the textbook example. It was ridiculously late, very deliberate and broke up a promising counter, so a yellow doesnt seem punishment enough. It wasnt dangerous enough, though,  for a red.

21 hours ago, embow said:

There are only two in Englandshire that I can think of but may well be wrong.

Port Vale and QPR. Possibly Everton at a push for a third one. Similar status as Partick Thistle maybe?

From page 4.

Forgot Crystal Palace and Charlton Athletic.🙄

Edited by embow

Boring Saturday here so thought I'd re-watch some of the coverage and the main things happening. I wish I had posted on this thread previously because initially I did think Jones had stuck his leg out to buy the penalty. Watching it back though and I actually don't think that's true. If you're sad enough like me to keep hitting "pause" and watch it almost frame-by-frame, you see he's moved slightly closer to the defender while running, not exactly in the line the ball is travelling, presumably to try and shield the ball. His foot then gets caught by the defender's foot and it's this which pulls the leg out at the weird angle rather than him sticking it out. Here's a link to the coverage if you're interested and the replay's at 57:20 of the footage. Maybe you'll not agree with me but that's my honest take on it.

5 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

Agree with all of this. The pitch looks markedly worse than the likes of Raith, but we started really well last night I thought. We moved it quickly, we were direct and getting loads of balls into the box.  It wasn't the pitch that stopped us doing that. 

Every time we drop points Neilson has excuses made. And frankly it's nonsense, if you keep making excuses for players they'll start to believe it and never take responsibility.

The pitch is markedly worse than Raith’s but it didn’t stop them from scoring 5 on it. Dundee and ICT both scored 3 times in their wins.
Between the tail end of last season and this season, we lost 6 league games in a row on it - a new club record. So, it doesn’t seem to trouble most of the visiting teams. Totally agree that it isn’t much of an excuse for not winning.

1 hour ago, embow said:

From page 4.

Forgot Crystal Palace and Charlton Athletic.🙄

Yep, as DG Roma has just pointed out, both are places within London - similar to Partick in Glasgow (except that's as far as the similarity goes) or Everton in Liverpool.  I wondered about Aston Villa but I think Aston may be an area of Birmingham, not sure as I haven't been to Birmingham very often.

When I first mentioned this I had a feeling that there would have been a good few more across the English/Scottish leagues but maybe not - I could always have a read through the league tables but I can't be bothered, too lazy.

One thing's for sure, the penalty and yellow card/red card business has kept a few of us busy over the last few hours.  Think that's one of the things we all love about the game, things happen quickly and the ref. and the fans have to make quick assessments and sometimes it just has to come down to opinions and total agreement just ain't  never gonna happen.  Keeps us going till the next game and P&B is great for this.  In some ways VAR takes the fun out of the game even if it does prevent a few clear wrongs.

Penalty decisions aside though, I thought the result was probably fair given that the Jambos had most possession as expected but it sure as hell was tough on Queens to be denied right at the end when those two points will probably be far more important to Queens after match 27 than they would have been to Hearts who will take the title regardless.  Everyone (me and most Queens fans included probably) had written Queens off before a ball was kicked due to the shortage of recognised starters in that eleven so hats off to the players and AJ/SC.  Going into kick-off I thought that the experienced Hearts midfield/back line would just have too much experience/nous for young Mebude and Jones but they both put in a helluva shift - shame we won't be able to hold onto them (and Shields) into next season.

1 hour ago, DG.Roma said:

Both places, as is Midlothian by the way. Fun topic though 

I'll reluctantly concede Crystal Palace due to it originally being the place where the Great Exhibition was held.

Is there a Charlton area in London?🤔

1 hour ago, embow said:

I'll reluctantly concede Crystal Palace due to it originally being the place where the Great Exhibition was held.

Is there a Charlton area in London?🤔

Yes Embow, I've just checked my battered old A-Z of London (I lived in Barnet for a couple of years after getting married), Charlton is between Greenwich and Woolwich in SE London and also boasts a rail station called "Charlton".  So I think it is indeed a "place".

Just realised that I didn't read DG Roma's post closely enough though.  He made a good point about Midlothian being a place too - never occurred to me - although I might contend that it is a county rather than a town/place but I'm just nit-picking there and making up the rules as I go along! 😏  So good shout DG Roma.

^^^^^^ Should have added that Crystal Palace (as a "place") also boasts its own railway station in South London.  Although the football club's home at Selhurst Park is further south towards Croydon and between Thornton Heath and Selhurst Park railway stations ............... does anyone think I'm bored this afternoon? 😕