Euan B

VAR in Scottish league???

I don’t watch much football outside of Scotland but have caught some controversial VAR incidents on MOTD, are these controversies happening all over wherever VAR is used?

I know VAR was used in recent Scotland games and only noticed a pause before the final penalty was awarded as a goal.

5 minutes ago, ropy said:

I don’t watch much football outside of Scotland but have caught some controversial VAR incidents on MOTD, are these controversies happening all over wherever VAR is used?

I know VAR was used in recent Scotland games and only noticed a pause before the final penalty was awarded as a goal.

I'm similar in that I don't watch too much football outside of Scotland, but if I use the little experience of VAR in the Europa League during Rangers games, I'm definitely opposed to it.

Last season, when we could actually attend matches, I was at the Braga and Leverkusen ties at Ibrox where it was used. VAR was used to award Leverkusen a penalty against us and it wasn't an enjoyable experience (not only due to them scoring the penalty). It delayed the game, sapped a bit of the atmosphere and although the big screens confirmed that there was a VAR check taking place, it just felt totally unnatural and being at the match, you felt a sense of injustice even though you couldn't see the multiple replays to make an informed decision.

Then if we use last nights match as an added example, I felt there were 4 VAR instances. in my opinion, they got 1 wrong, 1 right and 2 were borderline.

I feel they got the penalty against us wrong - the contact from Davis in no way impeded their player and he dived to win a penalty.

I feel they got our penalty award correct - clear shirt pulling to stop Morelos heading the ball correctly.

Then the other two borderline decisions - we had a penalty shout for handball early in the first half. The ball travelled quite far and struck their defenders arm that was held out from his body. I think it might've been soft to give so I can see why it wasn't awarded.

Then there was the decision to award us our second penalty for handball. From one angle behind the goal, it looked a stonewall penalty. But then a second angle from down the pitch it looked like it came off the defenders torso before hitting his arm so seemed harsh. I think in this instance you couldn't say it was a clear and obvious error so I can see why the ref's decision stood but again it could've went either way.

So, in summary, I am dead against VAR being introduced here as I feel there will still be inconsistent decisions and it will take away from the fan experience.

I was pretty much 50-50 on VAR until last night.  The failure to award Rangers the early blatant hand ball penalty and the ludicrous 'penalty' against Davis give me severe doubts about the value of VAR now. The problem isn't the technology, or even the time delay, it is the fact that it is useless if the bloke looking at the screen is as much of a balloon as the on-field official!

18 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I was pretty much 50-50 on VAR until last night.  The failure to award Rangers the early blatant hand ball penalty and the ludicrous 'penalty' against Davis give me severe doubts about the value of VAR now. The problem isn't the technology, or even the time delay, it is the fact that it is useless if the bloke looking at the screen is as much of a balloon as the on-field official!

I'm really on the fence about VAR too. I'm not sure if I'm feeling positive today just because Rangers won the game, but do you not think the controversy around the penalty decisions and VAR was brilliant? What a game it was!

7 minutes ago, Euan B said:

I'm really on the fence about VAR too. I'm not sure if I'm feeling positive today just because Rangers won the game, but do you not think the controversy around the penalty decisions and VAR was brilliant? What a game it was!

I think it adds an element of excitement just now due to the relative novelty of it. That'll soon wear off in my opinion and the bad outweighs the good.

12 minutes ago, Crazy Days said:

Ruining football down in England with this. Check for controversial incident only.

This is the best option I feel, a lesser version of VAR that only checks offsides in the build up to goals and red card tackles. That's all that Scottish football needs!

2 hours ago, Crazy Days said:

Ruining football down in England with this. Check for controversial incident only.

2 hours ago, Euan B said:

This is the best option I feel, a lesser version of VAR that only checks offsides in the build up to goals and red card tackles. That's all that Scottish football needs!

No.

This has been explained many times. You can't say oh we'll use it for controversial errors only, or some other arbitrary red line you invent (pun intended).

Once it's in the game - that's it.

To look at an old example that was discussed on another thread recently - in the '89 cup final Roy Aitken took a throw in for Celtic that clearly should have been Rangers', and they went on to score the winner from it. How can you justify only looking at offsides and not something like that? Once it's in, it's in, and that's why we must resist to the last man, comrades.

2 hours ago, Euan B said:

100% no. We don't need a single second of VAR. Keep it so far the f**k away.

And another thing

How are pens given for players having their hands in an unnatural position

The only time I see players having their hands in unnatural positions is when they have them behind their backs defending crosses and shots

The games lost the plot

4 hours ago, AJF said:

I think it adds an element of excitement just now due to the relative novelty of it. That'll soon wear off in my opinion and the bad outweighs the good.

It is fun when you are watching the game on tv and don't give a shit about the teams involved. 

Extra entertainment value, which is why the TV companies like BT sport were one of the main proponents of VAR.

For the fans in the ground it is going to be an unwanted intrusion to a match.

On 18/02/2021 at 20:51, kingjoey said:

Have you seen the countless times in the English League where some referee in a box has a look at a situation from countless angles for three minutes and still gets it wrong. VAR should be nowhere near Scottish football.

It's not working properly, and agree that it should be nowhere near our game. For two reasons:

1) It's not working properly - yet;

2) It's too expensive to consider at the mo.

Both of those points could be answered in time though, yes?

1 hour ago, ancientnoise said:

It's not working properly, and agree that it should be nowhere near our game. For two reasons:

It will never work 'properly'.

You either have VAR, or you don't. If we have VAR, then we're going to have delays in the game. Unavoidable. We're going to have goals surprisingly disallowed for minor infringements a minute or so beforehand. Unavoidable. We're going to have toenail offside decisions. Unavoidable.

The idea we can have some kind of VAR-light doesn't stand up to the merest scrutiny. VAR will get bigger, not smaller. As soon as a high-profile game (CL final etc) is decided by a mistake of some sort, that mistake type will be added to VAR. Nothing will be taken away.

It's worth noting at this point that VAR is not new anymore. I saw it used in 2017 in the U-20 World Cup. And it's been used in the K-League, for example, for years now. It's been used in leagues and cups all over the world and in the highest profile games imaginable. There is no Great Improvement to come. This is it.

Thinking it's new and will get better is like someone in 1996 saying that goalkeepers still need time to adjust to the passback rule.

Edited by TheJTS98

9 hours ago, ancientnoise said:

Doesn't matter if they are (but I can't see how), VAR still should be nowhere near Scottish football.

On 21/02/2021 at 05:58, TheJTS98 said:

The idea we can have some kind of VAR-light doesn't stand up to the merest scrutiny.

I saw it used in 2017 in the U-20 World Cup.

Who suggested "VAR-light"?

Oh, and 2017 is still new.

Another triumph for VAR tonight (it's number 11 at the top who scores it, they're apparently both offside).

EvqbsCHVkAANfft.thumb.jpg.a98ab10ef66bf7a0bf42d9f62fb629e6.jpg

1 minute ago, HibsFan said:

Another triumph for VAR tonight (it's number 11 at the top who scores it, they're apparently both offside).

EvqbsCHVkAANfft.thumb.jpg.a98ab10ef66bf7a0bf42d9f62fb629e6.jpg

Did you see the Fulham 'handball'? Utter joke. That could literally send them down.

I wonder how VAR would cope with some of the Premiership pitches.

The prominent slopes at Fir Park and Tannadice would surely cause all sorts of issues trying to judge microscopic distances like they do in the EPL.