VAR in Scottish league???

Hi all, 

There seems to be a lot of contrasting controversy surrounding VAR just now. In England (where VAR is in operation) VAR is under constant scrutiny, Che Adams had a perfectly good goal chopped off after being reviewed.  Whereas over the last few days in Scotland I've heard many call for it's implementation as Kemar Roofe was let off with a clear piece of dangerous play vs St Johnstone. 

Did you know, the SFA have plans to implement VAR technology in the next few years. Crawford Allan head of referee operations has stated many time he's a fan of the technology and he's been in contact with representatives of countries using VAR. Do you think it's needed in Scotland?

There is currently a piece of research being done at the University of Stirling which is going to be presented to the SFA regarding people's views of VAR in Scotland. Have your say for the SFA to review...

https://stirling.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/the-views-of-different-stakeholders-on-var-technology

7 minutes ago, Euan B said:

Hi all, 

There seems to be a lot of contrasting controversy surrounding VAR just now. In England (where VAR is in operation) VAR is under constant scrutiny, Che Adams had a perfectly good goal chopped off after being reviewed.  Whereas over the last few days in Scotland I've heard many call for it's implementation as Kemar Roofe was let off with a clear piece of dangerous play vs St Johnstone. 

Did you know, the SFA have plans to implement VAR technology in the next few years. Crawford Allan head of referee operations has stated many time he's a fan of the technology and he's been in contact with representatives of countries using VAR. Do you think it's needed in Scotland?

There is currently a piece of research being done at the University of Stirling which is going to be presented to the SFA regarding people's views of VAR in Scotland. Have your say for the SFA to review...

https://stirling.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/the-views-of-different-stakeholders-on-var-technology

With regard to the cheeks (which has been done to death on the other thread) we probably need VAR more than England. In terms of do we want it though, I would still say no.

2 minutes ago, ropy said:

I would only support it if it addressed clear and obvious errors in a 30 second timeframe, none of the centimetre decisions pored over for 3-4 minutes.

This is the great delusion.

Once you introduce technology, you can't inhibit it.

VAR can go suck my baws!

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

I would be letting other leagues be the guinea pigs for next year or two and iron the issues with it out (including clarification regarding rules on offside etc). By which point as well the technology should be cheaper too. In time its a yes from me.

You can't iron out the rules on offside when it comes to VAR.

Because if you say 'it has to be obvious', well who the f**k is determining 'obvious'?

If you say, well it has to be completed in such a timeframe and they don't manage that then everyone kicks off when its shown they got it wrong rushing.

If you say well, make the line thicker, there's still gonna be the same tiny differences - just between thicker lines.

If you say it has to be a certain body part or a whole body - whatever - it still boils down to tiny differences that will infuriate.

If you haven't guessed yet, I FUCKING DESPISE VAR

15 minutes ago, kevthedee said:

It's far to expensive so won't happen unless the SFA get in a micky mouse version of VAR.

Have you ever seen this article by FIFA? They're working on a VAR 'light version' which I presume Scotland would be able to afford. Maybe it could be more successful as normal VAR is being used too excessively. 

https://www.fifa.com/who-we-are/news/var-light-concept-taking-shape#:~:text=One key topic was the,for such a technology setup.

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

The whole point of the game is that you can go absolutely mental when your team scores. Take that away - because you're waiting for confirmation from VAR - and the immediacy completely disappears.

This is what it boils down to for me - you can't celebrate a goal anymore!

1 minute ago, ArabFC said:

You can't iron out the rules on offside when it comes to VAR.

Because if you say 'it has to be obvious', well who the f**k is determining 'obvious'?

If you say, well it has to be completed in such a timeframe and they don't manage that then everyone kicks off when its shown they got it wrong rushing.

If you say well, make the line thicker, there's still gonna be the same tiny differences - just between thicker lines.

If you say it has to be a certain body part or a whole body - whatever - it still boils down to tiny differences that will infuriate.

If you haven't guessed yet, I FUCKING DESPISE VAR

I agree there it wont be totally ironed but at least a few less creases. And for me when unsure I would always favour the attacker

1 minute ago, ArabFC said:

This is what it boils down to for me - you can't celebrate a goal anymore!

I must admit this kind of does boil my piss a bit. Even when Marshall saved THAT penalty looking about for VAR intervention it kind of takes a gloss off total euphoria. 

7 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

VAR is horrible and needs to get in the sea. If it actually stuck to its remit to correct clear and obvious errors then fine, but the implementation in England is utterly killing football.

The whole point of the game is that you can go absolutely mental when your team scores. Take that away - because you're waiting for confirmation from VAR - and the immediacy completely disappears.

The prawn sandwich munchers on this side of the border might not care because they barely celebrate goals anyway, but the idea of tempering my celebrations because there's a chance it's getting chalked off by some c**t not even in the ground makes me feel pretty hollow, tbh.

I submitted my response before reading your post, and you've been copying my answers haven't you! 😡

2 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I agree there it wont be totally ironed but at least a few less creases. And for me when unsure I would always favour the attacker

But that's the whole problem, you can't!

If you introduce technology, it becomes binary, there's no room to favour - he's either offside or not.