VAR in Scottish league???

7 minutes ago, Euan B said:

I'm really on the fence about VAR too. I'm not sure if I'm feeling positive today just because Rangers won the game, but do you not think the controversy around the penalty decisions and VAR was brilliant? What a game it was!

I think it adds an element of excitement just now due to the relative novelty of it. That'll soon wear off in my opinion and the bad outweighs the good.

12 minutes ago, Crazy Days said:

Ruining football down in England with this. Check for controversial incident only.

This is the best option I feel, a lesser version of VAR that only checks offsides in the build up to goals and red card tackles. That's all that Scottish football needs!

2 hours ago, Crazy Days said:

Ruining football down in England with this. Check for controversial incident only.

2 hours ago, Euan B said:

This is the best option I feel, a lesser version of VAR that only checks offsides in the build up to goals and red card tackles. That's all that Scottish football needs!

No.

This has been explained many times. You can't say oh we'll use it for controversial errors only, or some other arbitrary red line you invent (pun intended).

Once it's in the game - that's it.

To look at an old example that was discussed on another thread recently - in the '89 cup final Roy Aitken took a throw in for Celtic that clearly should have been Rangers', and they went on to score the winner from it. How can you justify only looking at offsides and not something like that? Once it's in, it's in, and that's why we must resist to the last man, comrades.

2 hours ago, Euan B said:

100% no. We don't need a single second of VAR. Keep it so far the f**k away.

And another thing

How are pens given for players having their hands in an unnatural position

The only time I see players having their hands in unnatural positions is when they have them behind their backs defending crosses and shots

The games lost the plot

4 hours ago, AJF said:

I think it adds an element of excitement just now due to the relative novelty of it. That'll soon wear off in my opinion and the bad outweighs the good.

It is fun when you are watching the game on tv and don't give a shit about the teams involved. 

Extra entertainment value, which is why the TV companies like BT sport were one of the main proponents of VAR.

For the fans in the ground it is going to be an unwanted intrusion to a match.

Guest TheJTS98
1 hour ago, ancientnoise said:

It's not working properly, and agree that it should be nowhere near our game. For two reasons:

1) It's not working properly - yet;

2) It's too expensive to consider at the mo.

Both of those points could be answered in time though, yes?

It will never work 'properly'.

You either have VAR, or you don't. If we have VAR, then we're going to have delays in the game. Unavoidable. We're going to have goals surprisingly disallowed for minor infringements a minute or so beforehand. Unavoidable. We're going to have toenail offside decisions. Unavoidable.

The idea we can have some kind of VAR-light doesn't stand up to the merest scrutiny. VAR will get bigger, not smaller. As soon as a high-profile game (CL final etc) is decided by a mistake of some sort, that mistake type will be added to VAR. Nothing will be taken away.

It's worth noting at this point that VAR is not new anymore. I saw it used in 2017 in the U-20 World Cup. And it's been used in the K-League, for example, for years now. It's been used in leagues and cups all over the world and in the highest profile games imaginable. There is no Great Improvement to come. This is it.

Thinking it's new and will get better is like someone in 1996 saying that goalkeepers still need time to adjust to the passback rule.

Edited by TheJTS98

9 hours ago, ancientnoise said:

It's not working properly, and agree that it should be nowhere near our game. For two reasons:

1) It's not working properly - yet;

2) It's too expensive to consider at the mo.

Both of those points could be answered in time though, yes?

Doesn't matter if they are (but I can't see how), VAR still should be nowhere near Scottish football.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Another triumph for VAR tonight (it's number 11 at the top who scores it, they're apparently both offside).

EvqbsCHVkAANfft.thumb.jpg.a98ab10ef66bf7a0bf42d9f62fb629e6.jpg

It would seem his hand  (No 11) is in an offside position which I think is nonsense, but that's the current ruling. Earlier WBA had one chocked off ( Lino had flagged)  as the scorer 's foot was offside: he then came back to take the chance. Two different decisions and no  doubt more work /income for the TV Refs. I would only allow it for goal line scoring/crossing challlenge a la tennis. Mind you Airdrie are never likely to be on Var TV. Chelsea have now scored and no VAR  this time. Curiously in the olden times it would be flagged because when he shoots another Chelsea player is  inactively offside! 

2 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

It would seem his hand  (No 11) is in an offside position which I think is nonsense, but that's the current ruling. Earlier WBA had one chocked off ( Lino had flagged)  as the scorer 's foot was offside: he then came back to take the chance. Two different decisions and no  doubt more work /income for the TV Refs. I would only allow it for goal line scoring/crossing challlenge a la tennis. Mind you Airdrie are never likely to be on Var TV. Chelsea have now scored and no VAR  this time. Curiously in the olden times it would be flagged because when he shoots another Chelsea player is  inactively offside! 

In olden times a player where the blue cross is would be flagged offside, even if he was facing away, standing still and having a fag. I laugh when I hear fans say they wish offside was as simple as it used to be. No thanks!

E6F72CB7-F7E6-43A3-AF9B-98FF9E67BA82.jpeg

VAR is absolutely fine, whatever the f**k the English have done to the technology is absolutely mental and they can blame themselves only for it.  

I watch Bundesliga 2 and they have VAR, there's absolutely f**k all of this armpit/fingernail stuff the English have obsessed themselves with. 

6 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

VAR is absolutely fine, whatever the f**k the English have done to the technology is absolutely mental and they can blame themselves only for it.  

I watch Bundesliga 2 and they have VAR, there's absolutely f**k all of this armpit/fingernail stuff the English have obsessed themselves with. 

So how do they do it then?

Because once it's in, and checking goals, this shitheap is inevitable. There is no suitable definition for clear and obvious that prevents it.

On another note, I saw the ball hit the upraised arm of a Chelsea player tonight. No pen. They've been given all year for that so I just had to laugh.