Yogi Bear vs Micky Mouse

Feeling quite positive about this one. We really need to take at least a point. Do I think we will? Do I f**k.

County have a new manager, big lad up front and we have an inability to defend high balls of any sort. We also don't "goal" alot. Whatever they are.

I'd go with either the team that finished v Motherwell or

Benji

Edwards Butcher Robson

Smith                          Sporle

Pawlett Fuchs

Mochrie

Shankland  McNulty  

Which is what I'd like to see mainly because Harkes, Connolly, Powers, Reynolds, Bolton and Clark still aren't playing. I know I've got Robson there but its either him or Neilson and i wouldnt play him on the left of the three, Edwards can't do that either and Butcher is in the middle because he's holding it all together. 

Regardless of the team we put out im going for 3-1 County. Shankland to accidently goal first. Then an utter arse collapse beginning with needlessly giving away a free kick just inside our own half from which the ball is launched into the box and the tallest County player,  unmarked, with all the time in the world, effortlessly heads it past a flailing Benji. Then on to another demoralising, comprehensive and humiliating defeat.

All other results to go against us in the worst possible way and we'll be 9th.

Fucking boooooooo.

Tomorrow isn't the time to be experimenting perhaps, but I'd be tempted to play our top scorer up top.

I'd also have our best player, controversially, playing between midfield and the top scorer up top - (He basically does this already in fairness. Tracking back and helping out defensively, has become a big part of his game, particularly this season)

McNulty on the bench.

We'll still get beaten anyway, so doesn't really matter.

7 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Tomorrow isn't the time to be experimenting perhaps, but I'd be tempted to play our top scorer up top.

I'd also have our best player, controversially, playing between midfield and the top scorer up top - (He basically does this already in fairness. Tracking back and helping out defensively, has become a big part of his game, particularly this season)

McNulty on the bench.

We'll still get beaten anyway, so doesn't really matter.

You’re basically saying what I’ve already said about Shankland though I’d like two ahead of him.  Also Clark should start ahead of McNulty.

26 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Benji

Edwards Butcher Robson

Smith                          Sporle

Pawlett Fuchs

Mochrie

Shankland  McNulty  

I was quite liking this, then I noticed Robson at centre back which is about as mental a pick as I have ever seen!

Neilson yes. Even Connolly. Even Smith at RCB with Bolton wing back.

Robson? Dear God, no!

14 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

I was quite liking this, then I noticed Robson at centre back which is about as mental a pick as I have ever seen!

Neilson yes. Even Connolly. Even Smith at RCB with Bolton wing back.

Robson? Dear God, no!

Yeah maybe Smith at RCB as hes pish going forward anyway. I just dumped Robson there because I'm done with Reynolds and Connolly. I'd rather neither started and would worry Neilson gets hung out to dry.

25 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I'd also have our best player, controversially, playing between midfield and the top scorer up top 

United fans -

"Clark is a passenger in midfield and should only start up front or stay at home"

"McNulty is wasted out wide, play him up front or not at all"

Also United fans -

"Play Shankland in midfield behind the strikers"

288527494_giphy(15).gif.fda6bbed22fe9c158c39f9acc15382dd.gif

22 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Yeah maybe Smith at RCB as hes pish going forward anyway. I just dumped Robson there because I'm done with Reynolds and Connolly. I'd rather neither started and would worry Neilson gets hung out to dry.

United fans -

"Clark is a passenger in midfield and should only start up front or stay at home"

Also United fans -

Apologies. I hadn't realised only your opinion counted.

My mistake.

3 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Apologies. I hadn't realised only your opinion counted.

My mistake.

Clark playing in midfield hasn't worked, demonstrated by the majority of performances fueling many fans grumbles.

McNulty playing wide dosent work either as we've all seen.

Whats likely to happen moving our best player to midfield, away from his natural position?

If MM decided to do it and it works, then ill definitely be on board with it. But as it stands, I sincerely doubt it.

I think we'd be better playing more attacking, creative players in the team who can supply our best striker with chances to score. Hence why I've put Pawlett and Mochrie in there. Pawlett looked decent against Well and if Mochrie is as good as some people suggest then give him a shot. He can't do worse than Harkes.

Clark and McNulty, for me, are much of a muchness and one of which should partner Sir Shankland. Im not hugely bothered which one it is.

46 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

United fans -

Also United fans -

You seem unable or unwilling to grasp the concept that whilst neither Clark nor McNulty are capable of making a decent contribution outwith their role as strikers then the same applies to Shankland.

I think he probably could because in terms of overall footballing skills he’s head and shoulders above the other two and anyone else in the team.  Like you I don’t see Mellon trying it but that in itself doesn’t make it a bad idea.

Given the lack of options I’m not opposed to giving Pawlett a start tomorrow, but, I would not be surprised if he’s more the Pawlett of games past than the ‘decent 45 against the ‘Well’ Pawlett. I hope I’m wrong.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You seem unable or unwilling to grasp the concept that whilst neither Clark nor McNulty are capable of making a decent contribution outwith their role as strikers then the same applies to Shankland.

I think he probably could because in terms of overall footballing skills he’s head and shoulders above the other two and anyone else in the team.  Like you I don’t see Mellon trying it but that in itself doesn’t make it a bad idea.

Given the lack of options I’m not opposed to giving Pawlett a start tomorrow, but, I would not be surprised if he’s more the Pawlett of games past than the ‘decent 45 against the ‘Well’ Pawlett. I hope I’m wrong.

For me, the ball gets chucked into the box, I want Shankland on the end of it. Best finisher at the club. End of story.

If you don't, that's an opinion you are entitled to have.

Torn on this one, half of me wants United to lose simply for the lotastic nature of the "arab anvil" banter, that and it gives us some breathing space regardless of our result against Killie.

On the flip side, with a County win I'm going to the get the seaside dwellers bumping my Yogi Hughes thread, because they only do that when County win a game and are totally silent otherwise.

So...er.. a draw?

Edited by Ric

7 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Clark playing in midfield hasn't worked Correct, quite possibly because he's not a midfielder, demonstrated by the majority of performances fueling many fans grumbles.

McNulty playing wide dosent work either as we've all seen.Correct. I question if he's up to Premier League standard no matter where he plays. Seemed like a good signing, but I for one have been disappointed

Whats likely to happen moving our best player to midfield, away from his natural position? He's spending large chunks of the game doing it as it stands. (Can't remember what game it was, but even popped up bailing Smith out recently) And doing a good job of it too. Certainly better than the rest of our rather abject midfield. It also frees up our top scorer to play much nearer the oppositions goalmouth

If MM decided to do it and it works, then ill definitely be on board with it. But as it stands, I sincerely doubt it. Its entirely hypothetical anyway and of course it won't happen. (Just my tuppence worth watching the same drivel week in week out) Ultimately something has to change - the finances aren't there to hire/fire a new manager, nor sign any new players, so we're going to have to go with what we've got.  Tactical changes is all we've got left up our sleeve.

I think we'd be better playing more attacking, creative players in the team who can supply our best striker with chances to score. Hence why I've put Pawlett Pawlett had a good 45mins on Wednesday, but one swallow doesn't make a summer and Mochrie I don't get the clamour for Mochrie given how little any of us have seen of him. However quite why, especially with the five subs available this season, he hasn't had a second of game time since his return to see if he is good enough, only MM can answer in there. Pawlett looked decent against Well and if Mochrie is as good as some people suggest then give him a shot. He can't do worse than Harkes. We don't know that. 

Clark and McNulty, for me, are much of a muchness and one of which should partner Sir Shankland. Im not hugely bothered which one it is. Two up front has long been something United fans seem to clamour for. But one up front - so long as the gap between the striker and the midfield isn't a gaping one - isn't something to dread

Haven't heard if Vigurs is fit for this one having been injured against Hamilton, but whatever midfield we have tomorrow there needs to be a bit more drive forward rather than playing it square or backwards constantly. Gardyne has made things happen the last couple of games he's come on, but Yogi clearly doesn't feel he has the legs to start.

Have to be honest I wasn't convinced Kelly was the best player on the park against Hamilton, but I'd imagine he'll play alongside Paton, who has been fairly guff the last few games IMO. Good to see Lakin back on Wednesday, if Vigurs is out then hopfully he comes in. White doe really well when he came on midweek, so JH has a bit of thinking to do up top.

From the highlights on Sportscene, DUFC were howfin first half against MFC but played well 2nd half so who knows which United will turn up. Any kind of win will do for me.

Edited to add; Reckon Lacovitti might get punted for this game too.

Edited by central staggie

4 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Clark playing in midfield hasn't worked Correct, quite possibly because he's not a midfielder, demonstrated by the majority of performances fueling many fans grumbles.

McNulty playing wide dosent work either as we've all seen.Correct. I question if he's up to Premier League standard no matter where he plays. Seemed like a good signing, but I for one have been disappointed

Whats likely to happen moving our best player to midfield, away from his natural position? He's spending large chunks of the game doing it as it stands. (Can't remember what game it was, but even popped up bailing Smith out recently) And doing a good job of it too. Certainly better than the rest of our rather abject midfield. It also frees up our top scorer to play much nearer the oppositions goalmouth

If MM decided to do it and it works, then ill definitely be on board with it. But as it stands, I sincerely doubt it. Its entirely hypothetical anyway and of course it won't happen. (Just my tuppence worth watching the same drivel week in week out) Ultimately something has to change - the finances aren't there to hire/fire a new manager, nor sign any new players, so we're going to have to go with what we've got.  Tactical changes is all we've got left up our sleeve.

I think we'd be better playing more attacking, creative players in the team who can supply our best striker with chances to score. Hence why I've put Pawlett Pawlett had a good 45mins on Wednesday, but one swallow doesn't make a summer and Mochrie I don't get the clamour for Mochrie given how little any of us have seen of him. However quite why, especially with the five subs available this season, he hasn't had a second of game time since his return to see if he is good enough, only MM can answer in there. Pawlett looked decent against Well and if Mochrie is as good as some people suggest then give him a shot. He can't do worse than Harkes. We don't know that. 

Clark and McNulty, for me, are much of a muchness and one of which should partner Sir Shankland. Im not hugely bothered which one it is. Two up front has long been something United fans seem to clamour for. But one up front - so long as the gap between the striker and the midfield isn't a gaping one - isn't something to dread

I'm as frustrated as the next United supporters  and id love for MM to turn it round. Obviously!

Point 1 - Either is Shankland. Which is why I don't want him shunted about. He's dropping deeper to get involved as hes been isolated due to no service from the usual one dimensional midfielders who are not very good with Fuchs being the exception. More creation in midfield would mean more chances for him.

Point 2 - 100% agree. There's a player there but he's not been used correctly. 

Point 3 - see Point 1. Why not play them both up front and our 2 top goal scores can both be on the pitch in their correct positions? Just my opinion.

Point 4 - Exactly. And it highlights how poor a job the previous regime have done regarding recruitment. Furthermore it shows how hard a job Mellon has on his hands. When were debating moving the best player at the club away from his position, it shows how desperate we're getting, regardless of what side of the fence we're on!

Point 5 - I agree, I'm worried we get Shitty Pawlett who's been the one showing up mostly. But its a change that worked for the better last time and its coming up to the end of his contract. Hmm...I wonder if not so shitty Pawlett will show up more now...let's see... and Mochrie has been talked up by the club and fans for a while. Let's see what he can do. Harkes (and to a far lesser extent Powers) have failed to consistently perform at any sort of level with many games almost passing Harkes by completely. Time for a change. Two birds and all that.

Point 6 - Again I fully agree. But how often have we seen the defence and midfield drop deeper and deeper and hoof the ball out because there's no outball except Shankland on the half way line? We don't have the players at the back (unless Butcher is playing in there) to pass out to the midfield and the midfield are creativity bankrupt.

All imo of course.

But coming back to the match, we'll still get pumped and all of this shite will be irrelevant. Deep joy.

United have had a recent tendency to rock up to Dingwall, absolute shitebag it and come away with a point or three.

I think  Vigurs is missing this, so it's a huge plus as he'd most likely be the one to play a famous no look pass to Shankland fifteen yards from goal.

Think we can nick this 2-1.

11 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Point 4 - Exactly. And it highlights how poor a job the previous regime have done regarding recruitment. Furthermore it shows how hard a job Mellon has on his hands. When were debating moving the best player at the club away from his position, it shows how desperate we're getting, regardless of what side of the fence we're on!

I couldn't put it any better myself.  (and thanks for a good level headed reply - few and far between on this website!) Its crazy really that I'm of the mindset that we drop Shankland back towards midfield - but ultimately it's just symptomatic of where we are just now.

We live in hope the team will pull something out the bag tomorrow 

As much as I defend Mellon at times we need to get some points here. 

I was pissed off at the Motherwell game, the line up seemed bizarre. Didn't see the match thankfully so just going from online reports however.

With having players fit again we should have enough to scrape wins in these games. Still far from perfect but we have the forwards, the defensive midfielder and fullback positions sorted.  Harkes needs replaced asap and we need a link between midfield and attack. This season at least pawlwtt seems the best bet as others have pointed out. Just somebody who at least can do something on occasion would be nice.

Edited by Mvondo_the_great

31 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I couldn't put it any better myself.  (and thanks for a good level headed reply - few and far between on this website!) Its crazy really that I'm of the mindset that we drop Shankland back towards midfield - but ultimately it's just symptomatic of where we are just now.

We live in hope the team will pull something out the bag tomorrow 

We really need to. Even a draw is a big result as it keeps the gap over County. A win would be massive. Losing isnt worth thinking about.