Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Life on Marrs? said:

Remember reading in the Sun a few years back, how Frank McKeown, ex Clyde & Stranraer was a Firefighter, the story was about how he'd been out all Friday nightshift at the Clutha disaster, then played the next afternoon!

Brian McPhee was on duty at the Stockline explosion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Life on Marrs? said:

Remember reading in the Sun a few years back, how Frank McKeown, ex Clyde & Stranraer was a Firefighter, the story was about how he'd been out all Friday nightshift at the Clutha disaster, then played the next afternoon!

I think it was in a match against Airdrie in 2013 but would need to double check. Brian McPhee went on to be a firefighter later but Evan Balfour was a FT firefighter whilst PT with Airdrie. Good interview with him on the Only The Lonely podcast about the implications.  In our hybrid season I don't really know much about outside work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/02/2021 at 14:03, Thistle_do_nicely said:

oh rory mccallister! not an ex jag but probably one of the more high profile names for this, on a really good part time wage at Peterhead for years and kept his FT job. Sure he turned down multiple full time offers over the years. Think it was plumbing he worked in.

According to a Bloo Toon director four years ago, he was on £650 a week. Decent money for the free-scoring diving b*****d. Scores every time he plays against QP. The diving b*****d.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Stewart Petrie is a bank manager. 

I read on here a couple of years ago that Chris Templeman is a school janitor. 

Correct on the 2nd one. My mum is friends with his Maw. He's sound as f**k, but he played for the pars, so f**k him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprising variety of jobs here, almost all the part time players I hear talking about their day jobs these days are fitness instructors. Plenty of personal trainers too, even some gym instructors. Plus Bobby Linn's a bin man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DG.Roma said:

Surprising variety of jobs here, almost all the part time players I hear talking about their day jobs these days are fitness instructors. Plenty of personal trainers too, even some gym instructors. Plus Bobby Linn's a bin man. 

Sounds like a song title. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

According to a Bloo Toon director four years ago, he was on £650 a week. Decent money for the free-scoring diving b*****d. Scores every time he plays against QP. The diving b*****d.

I detect a ambivalence towards Mcallister. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paul Watson at Montrose has his own construction project management company.
Andrew Steeves is a youth coach at Dundee United.
Terry Masson is a PE teacher.
Kerr Waddell works full time for the Montrose Community Trust I believe. Craig Johnston is a joiner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Aidan said:

Paul Watson at Montrose has his own construction project management company.
Andrew Steeves is a youth coach at Dundee United.
Terry Masson is a PE teacher.
Kerr Waddell works full time for the Montrose Community Trust I believe. Craig Johnston is a joiner.

Is he the guy who gives the kids a healthy balanced breakfast and evening meal and gets to help them with their homework?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crawford Baptie worked in a garage when he played with us, he never went full time. Yet he was still probably one of the most underrated players we ever had. Sure Stevie Aitken ex Dumbarton manager had a good job with Rolls Royce. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I worked with Alan Cook in a bank. Even though his face tells a different story he's a really sound guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/02/2021 at 14:18, cmontheloknow said:

Interesting - Kieran McAnespie was a cameraman on Babestation.

That makes sense. We came across an old photo the other night from a Falkirk FC Kids event, ( 5 to 14 year olds ) where he was wearing a tee shirt emblazoned Sex Instructor on it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're not at Clyde anymore, but Darren Smith is a PE teacher, Andy Munro is an Openreach engineer, Jack Breslin is/was a sparky of some sort, JP McGovern owned a cafe in Glasgow, Scott Durie is an accountant working for that Sportex company that lays artificial turf.

Also I thought Goodwillie was an apprentice sparky rather than a bogus gas man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/02/2021 at 14:03, Thistle_do_nicely said:

oh rory mccallister! not an ex jag but probably one of the more high profile names for this, on a really good part time wage at Peterhead for years and kept his FT job. Sure he turned down multiple full time offers over the years. Think it was plumbing he worked in.

Plumber for Stewart Milne, I think.  Pretty hefty wage I would imagine, a few people I know that work for Milne are pretty well off.  I'm sure Peterhead paid him not far off a full time wage also, may be wrong though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Plumber for Stewart Milne, I think.  Pretty hefty wage I would imagine, a few people I know that work for Milne are pretty well off.  I'm sure Peterhead paid him not far off a full time wage also, may be wrong though.  

You cant fault Rory for putting his family first, believe he was on good money with us although possibly exaggerated by some but was worth paying top dollar for an outstanding goal scorer, He turned down moves to finish his apprenticeship in a trade that will stand him in good stead when his boots are hung up. Sad to say even his move to Cove was too good to turn down, something like 3.5 year contract still on good money at an age his nest is probably behind him. As far as i believe he turned down full time at St Mirren   poor deal  & Dundee United as it was only a year contract. Rory found his niche and although could have moved up levels was happy with what he had and good on him for it. Its guys that go to big clubs for cash & spend years either sitting on the bench or waiting to be discarded again those are the losers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, peternapper said:

You cant fault Rory for putting his family first, believe he was on good money with us although possibly exaggerated by some but was worth paying top dollar for an outstanding goal scorer, He turned down moves to finish his apprenticeship in a trade that will stand him in good stead when his boots are hung up. Sad to say even his move to Cove was too good to turn down, something like 3.5 year contract still on good money at an age his nest is probably behind him. As far as i believe he turned down full time at St Mirren   poor deal  & Dundee United as it was only a year contract. Rory found his niche and although could have moved up levels was happy with what he had and good on him for it. Its guys that go to big clubs for cash & spend years either sitting on the bench or waiting to be discarded again those are the losers.

 

I agree with your analysis and views on "the losers" as compared to Rory, but was it a Freudian slip to mistype "nest" when I assume you meant "best" ? Hope to see a streamed game from Balmoor before too long?  Best wishes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I agree with your analysis and views on "the losers" as compared to Rory, but was it a Freudian slip to mistype "nest" when I assume you meant "best" ? Hope to see a streamed game from Balmoor before too long?  Best wishes

Think a stream is the best you can hope for before the season ends, if it actually starts. Our stream was not great for a start but was much better before the shut down

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Think a stream is the best you can hope for before the season ends, if it actually starts. Our stream was not great for a start but was much better before the shut down

 

Yes that is the realistic position. I think it might get 18 games but 27 looks beyond L1 resources etc.  Cheers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...