Rating your teams January transfer window

With the following caveats how would you rate you teams January transfer business from A (excellent) - E (very poor)?

The loan window runs until the end of February

League 1 / League 2 are obviously in a temporary shutdown

Finances are not what they have been in previous years

Hear our thoughts here and let us know what you think?

Edited by ThroughtheTurnstiles

4 hours ago, ThroughtheTurnstiles said:

With the following caveats how would you rate you teams January transfer business from A (excellent) - E (very poor)?

The loan window runs until the end of February

League 1 / League 2 are obviously in a temporary shutdown

Finances are not what they have been in previous years

Hear our thoughts here and let us know what you think?

Please do not post exactly the same post in every sub forum with a link to your podcast.

Edited by keithgy

Can somebody tell pele he has come from the auchterarder chippy through the turnstile to get a view from the terrace

if Scottish football websights / blogs / Wayne’s world basement tv shows continue to grow at this rate by 2025 there will be more of these media platforms than people watching football

puh- leeeze

Unprecedented times and January is always a hard time to strengthen, however, I think Cove haven't utilised the window as much as we could. I would rate us a C or D.

We haven't lost anyone except Graham and Semple going back to their parent clubs. Neither set the heather alight.

I thought there could be some interest in Mitch but thankful he says with us. Realistically it would take a high flying full time team for him to move, probably an SPL side or move down south. I'm convinced he could cut it in the SPL. He's certainly far superior to Bruce Anderson who went on loan to Hamilton. Likes of Ross County losing Ross Stewart, I wonder if they considered Mitch.

Loan signings of Connor Smith and Cammy Logan. Not inspirational by any means. The former has some talent according to the Arbroath and Hearts fans. We needed a creative midfield akin to Declan Glass: is he it not sure but must be better than Semple and Seb Ross who haven't shone.

The latter is a right back which we need but he isn't seasoned enough in my eyes.

We really needed a proven centre back, a winger as Leighton McIntosh has been very poor and a striker. I thought we or another club would go for Kane Hester.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

On 05/02/2021 at 12:51, CoveRangers1922 said:

Unprecedented times and January is always a hard time to strengthen, however, I think Cove haven't utilised the window as much as we could. I would rate us a C or D.

We haven't lost anyone except Graham and Semple going back to their parent clubs. Neither set the heather alight.

I thought there could be some interest in Mitch but thankful he says with us. Realistically it would take a high flying full time team for him to move, probably an SPL side or move down south. I'm convinced he could cut it in the SPL. He's certainly far superior to Bruce Anderson who went on loan to Hamilton. Likes of Ross County losing Ross Stewart, I wonder if they considered Mitch.

Loan signings of Connor Smith and Cammy Logan. Not inspirational by any means. The former has some talent according to the Arbroath and Hearts fans. We needed a creative midfield akin to Declan Glass: is he it not sure but must be better than Semple and Seb Ross who haven't shone.

The latter is a right back which we need but he isn't seasoned enough in my eyes.

We really needed a proven centre back, a winger as Leighton McIntosh has been very poor and a striker. I thought we or another club would go for Kane Hester.

Megginson's an interesting one - he doesn't seem bothered by the step up in divisions so could look to cut it at a higher level but where's the question.  Clearly money talks but you wonder if he's carved out a piece for himself in the north and may be playing in the same division as ICT and potentially County fairly soon.  Could be fairly easy to hold on to him but also a success every window you do.

Believe Hester's on a deal until 2023 so might take a relative wedge to shift him.  What a pairing that would be though.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, isabelltwo said:

A lot of clubs will be apprehensive to bring in players and higher up teams reluctant to loan players due to the uncertainty of if or when the leagues may restart

It looks like they are restarting just a case of when. Presumably teams in the higher leagues will be loaning players that are surplus to requirements or only played sparingly 

• 2 weeks later...

Given loans were about the only option for most if not alI now i'm not sure about ours. 3 kids, two who have featured in the first team for Dundee Utd. They should play but given the rough n tumble of league 1 and our management team's record for sticking with the tried n tested failures I wouldn't be so sure they will get enough game time. Flip side being we badly needed another decent striker, back up keeper and attacking midfielder which we might well have got had the season not stopped. Bit meh really I'm not sure we signed what we really needed but time will tell. 

On 04/03/2021 at 17:08, third lanark said:

It looks like they are restarting just a case of when. Presumably teams in the higher leagues will be loaning players that are surplus to requirements or only played sparingly 

Or in the lower leagues as in our case.

We've ended up adding numbers largely.

McCall has added the 3 players from the Lowland League players who bring experience but the manager alluded to them not playing week in week out.

Added a striker in Maciver, no idea what he'll bring to the table. Not done much, certainly on a first team level.

17 year old right back from Rangers. Zero first team experience.

Overall the return of Chris Erskine will be welcomed on an emotional level and I think he could have some impact at this level. 

Geggan and Bell bring experience and hopefully can be used to see out games or get players going from the off.

Definitely a sub par window but that is largely down to the postponement of the league and targets going elsewhere.

Talk of a player down south who may be available but not heard much since McCall mentioned it on Saturday.

So we've added numbers just down to McCall to see if he can make sum greater than the individual parts.

• 10 months later...