Arbroath vs Pars vs Poseidon vs Aeolus

Anyway, the focus on the wind is letting the players and manager off. We were absolutely brutal and the wind can't be blamed for that.

Folk are massively overstating the wind here as a factor for us turning in a total shitebag performance.

Have none of our players played in wind before? Of course they have. We knew what the conditions were going to be so why didn't we prepare accordingly? Sounds like we were beaten before the game even began. Weak, weak stuff.

56 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

Not just Gayfield. We regularly play badly at windswept grounds like Balmoor, Stair Park, Central Park, and Dumbarton. The wind was a factor in our poor performance at East End on Wednesday., stifling our quick passing game.

There was barely any wind at EEP. 

15 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Anyway, the focus on the wind is letting the players and manager off. We were absolutely brutal and the wind can't be blamed for that.

Folk are massively overstating the wind here as a factor for us turning in a total shitebag performance.

Have none of our players played in wind before? Of course they have. We knew what the conditions were going to be so why didn't we prepare accordingly? Sounds like we were beaten before the game even began. Weak, weak stuff.

What nonsense is this? Have you never heard of the term home advantage? 

23 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

We didn’t do as well as you with the wind because we never play in it,  don’t train for it and don’t sign players experienced with it.    Why would we?

Info from weatherspark.com

The average hourly wind speed in Arbroath experiences significant seasonal variation over the course of the year.

The windier part of the year lasts for 6.0 months, from 2 October to 2 April, with average wind speeds of more than 21.5 kilometres per hour. 

By comparison

The average hourly wind speed in Dunfermline experiences significant seasonal variation over the course of the year.

The windier part of the year lasts for 5.2 months, from 28 October to 3 April, with average wind speeds of more than 19.9 kilometres per hour. 

So, the average wind speed in Arbroath is a massive 1.6 km/h more than the average wind speed in Dunfermline. That's around 1/3 to 1/4 of the average walking pace. 

Does East End Park not have weather?

54 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

We didn’t do as well as you with the wind because we never play in it,  don’t train for it and don’t sign players experienced with it.    Why would we?

Haha what a lot of shite. 

21 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

The average hourly wind speed in Arbroath experiences significant seasonal variation over the course of the year.

The windier part of the year lasts for 6.0 months, from 2 October to 2 April, with average wind speeds of more than 21.5 kilometres per hour. 

By comparison

The average hourly wind speed in Dunfermline experiences significant seasonal variation over the course of the year.

The windier part of the year lasts for 5.2 months, from 28 October to 3 April, with average wind speeds of more than 19.9 kilometres per hour. 

So, the average wind speed in Arbroath is a massive 1.6 km/h more than the average wind speed in Dunfermline. That's around 1/3 to 1/4 of the average walking pace. 

Is the inside of your house windy? 

25 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

By comparison

EEP isn’t built in the most exposed part of town and the pitch is significantly more protected.  But you knew that.

It also has never in my life had a game played on it where the ball travels 20 yards backwards in the air from where it was kicked from. 

Folk seem to be acting like that was a normal windy day.  That’s completely false.

Edited by parsforlife

31 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

There was barely any wind at EEP. 

What nonsense is this? Have you never heard of the term home advantage? 

So there was simply nothing we could have done then? We were always going to lose?

Why is it nonsense to say that the team should have prepared for the conditions incidentally? 

2 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Folk seem to be acting like that was a normal windy day.  That’s completely false.

Arbroath fans are absolutely desperate for someone to give them a pat on the head and tell them they're a really good football team who won yesterday purely from their superior skills. 

And it definitely wasn't anything to do with the wind. 

EEP isn’t built in the most exposed part of town and the pitch is significantly more protected.  But you knew that.
 It also has never in my life had a game played on it where the ball travels 20 yards backwards in the air from where it was kicked from. 

Yeah it definitely wasn't a normal windy day and Gayfield gets the worst conditions in the whole town based on its exposed location. The weather and the wind was awful but just playable and no more. Not conditions you want to see football in but that's the players and managers job to prepare for and plan for the conditions.

Concentrate on the game and let the official concentrate on making the decisions. At the end of the day it was brutal but it wasn't unsafe to continue. These games can be a bit of a lottery so I wouldn't dwell on it as a benchmark for anything moving forward.

1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

Is the inside of your house windy? 

What a f*cking stupid question!

3 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

EEP isn’t built in the most exposed part of town and the pitch is significantly more protected.   It also has never in my life had a game played on it where the ball travels 20 yards backwards in the air from where it was kicked from. 

The pitches at Gayfield & EEP were both outdoors last time I looked. Both are subject to weather conditions. Should Arbroath complain about the pitches at Brechin & Albion Rovers because they are significantly muddier than Gayfield, or about the effects of altitude at Clyde?

Whilst the ball did move backwards in the air whilst kicking from the Pleasureland end, it never once finished behind the spot that it was kicked from. I can recall games where goal kicks went out for corners. That didn't happen at all yesterday.

Quite simply, the referee's decision is final. He decided that conditions were safe to play the match. In the end, Arbroath were the better side on the day

Just now, DA Baracus said:

So there was simply nothing we could have done then? We were always going to lose?

Why is it nonsense to say that the team should have prepared for the conditions incidentally? 

The team would have prepared, you seen that in the team that was set out. 

However you're severely over simplifying how easy it is to prepare for those conditions yesterday, you can talk about the wind, about trying to get the ball down, about your shape and what the opposition will do, but in the end that talk and preparation is f**k all compared to experience, unless there's some form of hybrid wind tunnel/football pitch kicking around how do you prepare? 

I tell you what's good preparation, Arbroath played Inverness in that stadium, in adverse conditions on Wednesday, giving them a good feel for it. As well as however many other times it's been windy at Gayfield, the last time we played at slightly windy conditions was against Arbroath at Gayfield and it wasn't anywhere near what yesterday was. 

Just like when we had the attrocious Mk1 Astro turf pitch we had an advantage because we had more experience of it, Arbroath will be delighted if every single home game was played in a gale. 

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

Because both Dunfermline and Arbroath will probably be in this league next season and, horror of horrors, you would have to come to Gayfield twice.

And it could be windy.

And if your players have the same attitude as they had yesterday we will have another bunch of posts whining about how unfair it is to play on the same pitch, under the same conditions on the same day as us. So maybe you should have a think about it being an outdoor sport, played in winter, in Scotland.

Edited by SotesBornalichtie

5 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

I'm going to presume that it's not windy in your house. 

Can you explain why even if it's windy outside, it isn't windy in your house? I get the feeling you're quite slow so I'm happy enough to go at this pace until you realise that something surrounded by objects (like walls, or big stands) isn't as effected by wind as a stadium with smaller stands right on the coast. 

Could take a while though, if you feel like we're going to fast just ask for clarification, thank you. 

FB_IMG_1612711708999.thumb.jpg.7f890cfcb537dff77a5d09fc890fdaa7.jpg

Edited by Grant228

3 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

The pitches at Gayfield & EEP were both outdoors last time I looked. Both are subject to weather conditions. Should Arbroath complain about the pitches at Brechin & Albion Rovers because they are significantly muddier than Gayfield, or about the effects of altitude at Clyde?

Whilst the ball did move backwards in the air whilst kicking from the Pleasureland end, it never once finished behind the spot that it was kicked from. I can recall games where goal kicks went out for corners. That didn't happen at all yesterday.

Quite simply, the referee's decision is final. He decided that conditions were safe to play the match. In the end, Arbroath were the better side on the day

Muddier than Gayfield?  Your pitch was a an absolute mess yesterday.  The fact it’s barely been mentioned just shows how bad the wind was.

1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

Can you explain why even if it's windy outside, it isn't windy in your house? I get the feeling you're quite slow so I'm happy enough to go at this pace until you realise that something surrounded by objects (like walls, or big stands) isn't as effected by wind as a stadium with smaller stands right on the coast. 

Yeah, that's why the effect known as the 'Murrayfield swirl' at a certain large stadium in Edinburgh (that holds around 5 times the capacity of EEP) is a figment of the imagination. The big stands obviously keep the weather out.

5 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Muddier than Gayfield?  

Have you ever been to Cliftonhill? I presume not.

The ball bobbles off the divots in August, never mind February.

2 hours ago, parsforlife said:

No team should be planning on how they going to use atrocious conditions to pull back the game.  They were entirely correct to get the ref telt.  It’s just unfortunate the ref was completely in the wrong and not willing to listen.  There was no justification for the game to continue.

I disagree. The point I am trying to make is if Dunfermline had rolled up there sleeves and got on with it , who knows what may have happened. Crawford sent out the wrong message right from the start.

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Bollocks, the teams inadequacies were absolutely down to the weather. 

Arbroath have beaten Dunfermline twice? In recent seasons, both times it's just coincidentally been absolutely attrocious weather, when it's not been blowing a gale Arbroath haven't won, let alone by two goals. 

Arbroath deserved to win, but that's because they're simply used to playing in those conditions, hence why they were keen to get the game on, they're fully aware that it's a massive leveller. 

Hahaha, we play in those conditions about 3 or 4 times a year, you’re acting as if we’re a group of aliens playing football on planet Mars. 
Get a grip

Dunfermline are a better team hence why they are 10 Points ahead of us and will probably finish in top 4 but there really isn’t much between any of the teams in this league. 

I disagree. The point I am trying to make is if Dunfermline had rolled up there sleeves and got on with it , who knows what may have happened. Crawford sent out the wrong message right from the start.

Agreed. Professional sport can be won or lost in the players heads. It makes a difference.

Going out on the pitch having lost the battle to get the game off went a long way to ensuring a negative mental attitude.

1 minute ago, Raith_Raver said:

I must have imagined the near horizintal rain, and folk talking aboutn us having the wind behind us in the second half 🤔

Yeah, but your ground is near the sea, and up a hill, and doesn't have huge stands enclosing all 4 sides.

In addition, a train might derail and plough into the McDermid stand, killing hundreds of fans.

I hadn't realised how dangerous Starks Park was. 

image.jpeg.8b4711a2385c7ff22f960b600a2a75ad.jpeg