Do Rangers get a "free pass" from referees?

Does Rangers get a "free pass" from referees?  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Anyone seeing the Morelos stamp on Porteous could see it was no accident and that issuing a retrospective punishment, in this case a 3 match ban, was appropriate and kind of underlined the point of having the process.

For me the Roofe one was chalk and cheese, absolutely no intent in my opinion and the kind of incident that happens a lot in Scottish football.  The ref saw it and issued a yellow.  Some you get away with and some you don't but subjecting that kind of challenge to the retrospective process understandably leads to accusations of what about that tackle, well what about that tackle, etc and I don't think it helps the game.  

Out of curiosity I did decide to check on how widely used VAR now is and was pretty shocked at the results....

var.jpg

20 minutes ago, bennett said:

Retrospective punishment is controversial because it's being disproportionately against one team to rereferee games.

The system is for incidents that have been missed by officials,  not for incidents that have been seen and dealt with.

Ah so attack the whole system because of some perceived injustice? We’ll file that under just another day at OF clubs. 

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

We don't have VAR so the concept of retrospective punishment shouldn't be controversial at all in Scottish football. Referees miss things. There may be a discussion to be had around consistency of what gets pulled up but basically turning his guns on the refs is poor.

Gerrard is playing games here and it's fairly embarrassing.

I don't think it's to do with the retrospective punishment part in general, I don't think that's what Gerrard is getting at. I totally accept incidents that go unseen by the officials need to get pulled up.

It's the issue of re-refereeing incidents that the referee clearly has seen that I believe is what he is getting at. Rather than the SFA admit the referee got it wrong, they come out and essentially force the referee to say he never saw it so that they can then take retrospective action to correct the referee's original mistake.

Which is the crux behind his comments around decisions being reviewed rather than just accept the referee got it wrong.

4 hours ago, bennett said:

Sevco getting games rerefereed while other teams aren't is giving Sevco a free pass 😅

Typical OF thinkology: If Celtic get dodgy decisions it proves Rangers don't.

The analogy is of a thief going to court and claiming he shouldn't be punished because the judge has punished another thief earlier.

16 minutes ago, Ric said:

Typical OF thinkology: If Celtic get dodgy decisions it proves Rangers don't.

The analogy is of a thief going to court and claiming he shouldn't be punished because the judge has punished another thief earlier.

Couldn't find a meme to really do your post justice....

lF7OEOmoH1jRCVPxt-5COvXkR6YnbkpybCuOBEPm

10 minutes ago, bennett said:

Couldn't find a meme to really do your post justice....

No need for a meme, all us non OF supporters have been living in this duopolistic transference for most of our lives.

So player commits red card offence by stamping on opponent, player remains  on the pitch and goes on to score the winner.........and it’s Rangers who are complaining ???

Aye that's summed it up.

The same club and manager who weren't content with just the 4 penalties awarded in the one game, even though half of them weren't penalties.

17 minutes ago, killiekranky said:

So player commits red card offence by stamping on opponent, player remains  on the pitch and goes on to score the winner.........and it’s Rangers who are complaining ???

tfw u definitely understand the points being made

Over my 40 odd years of watching Saints, all the worst refereeing decisions I can remember happened in games v both cheeks. Given the few games v them compared to the other clubs that is telling. From John McDonalds blatant dive and the goal that never was in a LC semi to McGrain breaking Frank McDougals leg to Boruc wiping out Dargo and the Nakamura dive to earn a match winning free kick with the 4 pens at Ibrox more recently all dreadful decisions with the same two opponents the common denominator. Be interesting to see how many of the "infamous" decisions by refs in other folks eras watching are similarly skewed.

21 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Over my 40 odd years of watching Saints, all the worst refereeing decisions I can remember happened in games v both cheeks. Given the few games v them compared to the other clubs that is telling. From John McDonalds blatant dive and the goal that never was in a LC semi to McGrain breaking Frank McDougals leg to Boruc wiping out Dargo and the Nakamura dive to earn a match winning free kick with the 4 pens at Ibrox more recently all dreadful decisions with the same two opponents the common denominator. Be interesting to see how many of the "infamous" decisions by refs in other folks eras watching are similarly skewed.

Ricksen was the first in Scotland to get a retrospective red card for a karate kick on Darren Young. In the same game McCurry ignored two clear penalties for Aberdeen.

1 hour ago, CCB19035 said:

So why aren't refs giving these fairly bread and butter decisions against Rangers then? 

Should Rangers just face no post match consequence because the refs in their matches aren't seeing obvious red card offences (Roofe, Morelos?) What should happen? Should Roofe just get away with a leg breaker and should Morelos just get off with a stamp, because the refs seen it and somehow deemed it a yellow?

I agree, they are fairly inconsistent in their application. However, Rangers have no wiggle room for complaint, as they've directly benefited from refereeing incompetence on several occasions this season. Being annoyed that a panel has came to a correct decision, in the Roofe and Morelos cases, really does baffle me. 

Yes Sevco are cheating and the other 11 teams never commit any fouls, only Sevco commits fouls......