Ayr vs Hearts - Friday Night Football

Not a great spectacle but keenly contested given the conditions, shame it was decided on an absolute joke of a decision to award the penalty. The modern ruling is a nonsense, completely unintentional and no advantage gained by Baird whatsoever.

Ayr went back to the same dire, sterile stuff from a few weeks ago. Ok, they defended well enough but the gap between Wright and the 3 support players was too great and any time he did manage to get the ball under control he was swamped by 2 or 3 Hearts players. By the time help arrived they had to start tracking back toward their own goal as they had lost possession. This 4-2-3-1 shape just isn't working and Wright needs some support.

20 minutes ago, Axle Grease said:

Hearts aren't a good team. They're scraping by in games, if I supported them I'd be worried. 

Nothing to worry about in the Championship.  It's already won.

29 minutes ago, yorkshirepud said:

Ayr went back to the same dire, sterile stuff from a few weeks ago. Ok, they defended well enough but the gap between Wright and the 3 support players was too great and any time he did manage to get the ball under control he was swamped by 2 or 3 Hearts players. By the time help arrived they had to start tracking back toward their own goal as they had lost possession. This 4-2-3-1 shape just isn't working and Wright needs some support.

Think that is a very harsh view of the game. Wind played a big part and it’s no surprise we were the better team/chances in the first half and Hearts in the second. The Smith chance that went just wide, the corner that’s bounced in the six yard box and Wright at the front post that’s been deflected out for said corner were all decent chances. This first half McCowan and Smith were linking up really well and because of the wind most of the first half was spent in the Hearts half. 

I thought it was very encouraging and we won’t come up against teams like Hearts every week. The Alloa game would be a better gauge of where the team are for me. This team just need a consistent run of matches now, not this stop start with postponements as that’s only our 3rd match in 36 days, no chance to try build momentum. 

29 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Think that is a very harsh view of the game. Wind played a big part and it’s no surprise we were the better team/chances in the first half and Hearts in the second. The Smith chance that went just wide, the corner that’s bounced in the six yard box and Wright at the front post that’s been deflected out for said corner were all decent chances. This first half McCowan and Smith were linking up really well and because of the wind most of the first half was spent in the Hearts half. 

I thought it was very encouraging and we won’t come up against teams like Hearts every week. The Alloa game would be a better gauge of where the team are for me. This team just need a consistent run of matches now, not this stop start with postponements as that’s only our 3rd match in 36 days, no chance to try build momentum. 

I enjoyed it, more so the first half. Maybe I'm easy pleased.

I’ve watched the last 3 or 4 Friday night games on bbc Scotland and I’m afraid to say I have come to the conclusion that our domestic football is absolutely awful. Maybe we have been spoilt by watching Barcelona and the likes. Maybe there is just too much football on TV but all I see on Friday nights is route one bore-fests. If you take away the banter and couthiness of supporting your own team what is left is very sad 
I’m not having a go at any one team here, it’s the whole set up I’m talking about

I said the same in an earlier post - the only thing that makes the whole thing remotely interesting is that viewers have a passion for their own team. The actual spectacle is awful. What makes it worse in modern football is that the players tend to be very fit and athletic and in this league it is all about physicality, team shape, organisation and giving the ball a battering for 90 minutes.Any skill and constructive ball retention is practically non existent - the teams all play the same way and ability levels are indistinguishable hence the reason anybody can beat anybody. Can’t deny its competitive but even in a lockdown it is hard to sit through these games.

1 hour ago, Axle Grease said:

Hearts aren't a good team. They're scraping by in games, if I supported them I'd be worried. 

1 hour ago, Mr. X said:

Nothing to worry about in the Championship.  It's already won.

True. But there are a lot of echoes of Neilson's Dundee United side, except without the exceptional goalscorer that Shankland was in their promotion season. 

Hearts are functional, stronger than everyone else and will win the league by a mile. They arent a great side though and would need wholesale surgery to avoid being bottom half strugglers again next season. You would think Hearts probably have loftier ambitions than that.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

30 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

True. But there are a lot of echoes of Neilson's Dundee United side, except without the exceptional goalscorer that Shankland was in their promotion season. 

Hearts are functional, stronger than everyone else and will win the league by a mile. They arent a great side though and would need wholesale surgery to avoid being bottom half strugglers again next season. You would think Hearts probably have loftier ambitions than that.

We were absolutely rotten last season and we were never going to resolve all of those problems on a Championship budget, so I'm quite happy to be winning the league easily. If we continue our current points per game until the end of the season then it'll only be bettered by our previous Championship team in 14/15.

Having said that, I think if you asked Hearts fans where this current side would place in the Premiership then most would say we'd be bottom six. Nobody is under any illusions that we don't need half a dozen new players in the summer to get back to where we should be but, perhaps unlike Dundee United, we have the resources to make that happen.

12 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Not a great game, but I thought we edged it.

Think we'll see Berra come back in for Popescu due to the latter's mistakes.

The big lad up front was ineffective - Boyce was our best player tonight, but very little came off for him - liked the look of McEneff. 

Three points and a clean sheet, but we need to play a lot better. 

Not sure what RN was thinking of, playing a big lad like that up front in that wind.

But I hope we never see Berra in a Hearts' top again - Popescu's got a f**k up in him, no doubt, but Berra gives me the fear literally every time he touches the ball nowadays.

There’s a common theme runs through the threads v hearts usually starts with opposition teams saying they wont get anything from the game / might scrap a draw / they are too strong pre game.
After the game it’s usually performed better / were unlucky / won. 

Before the Dunfermline game it showed highlights of Ayr at home (I think) barely looked like the home team had a shot on target. Then Dunfermline come over to Tynecastle & are on the front foot & slightly unlucky to get a point / 3.

it appears the game gets up’d when it’s us & less so against other opposition. 

Hearts could likely loose more games & still get crowned champions as the least  inconsistent.

51 minutes ago, Gorgie greatness said:

There’s a common theme runs through the threads v hearts usually starts with opposition teams saying they wont get anything from the game / might scrap a draw / they are too strong pre game.
After the game it’s usually performed better / were unlucky / won. 

Before the Dunfermline game it showed highlights of Ayr at home (I think) barely looked like the home team had a shot on target. Then Dunfermline come over to Tynecastle & are on the front foot & slightly unlucky to get a point / 3.

it appears the game gets up’d when it’s us & less so against other opposition. 

Hearts could likely loose more games & still get crowned champions as the least  inconsistent.

Quite the take that we raised our game after a 4-1 win and lost 1-0. 

45 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Quite the take that we raised our game after a 4-1 win and lost 1-0. 

I've noticed this about some of the comments, it appears to be the same sort of old firm arrogance and ignorance where some of them know absolutely nothing about the opposition nor do they care.

I even read a comment yesterday pre match that thought a wet heavy pitch would suit us better with the long ball game.  Seriously ?????

That's one thing about most Championship and lower league teams supporters, they tend to know quite a bit about the opposition players and teams playing style and generally just seem more intelligent and missing this bizarre superiority complex.

As for Robbie Neilson, the guy quite obviously needs sectioned as he clearly has some serious mental health issues.

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

I've noticed this about some of the comments, it appears to be the same sort of old firm arrogance and ignorance where some of them know absolutely nothing about the opposition nor do they care.

I even read a comment yesterday pre match that thought a wet heavy pitch would suit us better with the long ball game.  Seriously ?????

That's one thing about most Championship and lower league teams supporters, they tend to know quite a bit about the opposition players and teams playing style and generally just seem more intelligent and missing this bizarre superiority complex.

As for Robbie Neilson, the guy quite obviously needs sectioned as he clearly has some serious mental health issues.

Calling folk ignorant then suggesting someone gets sectioned because they argued a couple of refereeing decisions is nice work.

I do think Robbie takes some unjustified stick, along with the fair comments.  Clearly he's got a massive budget advantage this year, but he also cruised the championship with the 3rd biggest budget last time we were in it, so he's clearly not completely tactically clueless.

Same with the Hearts are a poor team stuff we see after every game.  Clear there's some strengthening to do ahead of the Premier league, but I don't think we're talking about a whole new squad to get in the top 6

5 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

I do think Robbie takes some unjustified stick, along with the fair comments.  Clearly he's got a massive budget advantage this year, but he also cruised the championship with the 3rd biggest budget last time we were in it, so he's clearly not completely tactically clueless.

Same with the Hearts are a poor team stuff we see after every game.  Clear there's some strengthening to do ahead of the Premier league, but I don't think we're talking about a whole new squad to get in the top 6

Not a whole new squad, no. Craig Gordon's the best keeper in the country.

Boyce is good enough.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

37 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

32 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Not a whole new squad, no. Craig Gordon's the best keeper in the country.

Boyce is good enough.

You don't have to be that good to get into the top six. Add a solid centre-half and a ball-winning midfielder and I'd be confident enough with the current squad.

Getting back to challenging for top 3/4 is a different matter and we'll need a fair bit more than that. Hopefully some of the new signings we made last month are the start of that.