Ayr vs Hearts - Friday Night Football

Not a great game, but I thought we edged it.

Think we'll see Berra come back in for Popescu due to the latter's mistakes.

The big lad up front was ineffective - Boyce was our best player tonight, but very little came off for him - liked the look of McEneff. 

Three points and a clean sheet, but we need to play a lot better. 

Edited by paranoid android

I'm reasonably upbeat after that.  Penalty award as everyone says is just wrong - theres no debate.   I like Baird but there is something in the back of my mind says he could have avoided it though - did it have to skite up off his thigh in the first place?  Small margins / split second decisions in shite weather though - easy to be harsh when you've been sat on your arse for 6 months watching the English Premier.  

Thought Hearts one at the start probably was a penalty - surprised it wasnt given especially as ref seemed at first to be about to award it.  Not an absolute stonewaller but could have had no complaints if it was given.  The two claims Ayr had weren't penalties in the slightest. 

Ayr played OK.  For everyone saying Hearts are average / pish, it's pretty clear that they are top of the table and going to romp the title because their players are significantly better than everyone else in the league.  Its certainly not down to their manager.  There will be games where teams beat them, but it wont happen that often.  We didnt create a lot but had quite a few 'chances to make chances' where the final pass / decision wasnt right - seemed a lack of confidence maybe as sometimes the likes of Walsh / McCowan / Smith were taking an extra touch or turning back where against Alloa they were taking the man on and looking confident - again that's maybe due to being up against Smith and Kingsley at full back.

Still cant decide if Wright up top is an absolute handful or a complete cairthorse - might be a bit of both to he honest but I'm happy having him there.  

Edited by Hursty

11 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

I enjoyed it. Not great quality, lacked chances, but two teams trying to win in shite conditions with no quarter given. Seen much worse games.

I've seen much worse too. Rather watch that than the increasing number of borefests from down south.

The big lad up front was ineffective - Boyce was our best player tonight, but very little came off for him - liked the look of McEneff. 

Basically we need to send Boyce and Nganduillet on a summer camping holiday cycling in the Dordogne till Boyce Speaks French with an Ivorian lilt and Armand speaks English with a Derry accent and they finish each other’s sentences in either

They played like strangers

6 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

I have palpitations whenever Popescu is on the ball, but Berra isn't much better in that regard and, unlike Berra, he is genuinely capable of playing out from the back, allowing us to hold a much higher line. We've also had three clean sheets in a row, so I can't see Berra coming back in yet.

40 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

While McLean has, as usual, absolutely fucked us here.  That's still poor from Baird, McKenna-esque.  

That goal took the wind right out of us, along with Walsh being handled in the second half.  Hearts put the press on and that was basically it.  

Highlight was Naismith being the overbearing dickhead he always is down pushing his own teammates over in his own box.  

Not seen it back yet but I was adamant along with the whole Ayr team and bench there was a handball in the Hearts box right at the end, anyone clear that one up while I'm on the train up the road? 

Nah BBC pundits went over it and it hit Kingsley's chest, would have been some laugh if he'd given it and wouldn't have been a surprise tbh.....

8 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

No danger Berra should come back in IMO. Popescu had two slips, and one was a huge bobble which wasn't really his fault. But we have been far better as a unit with him in than Berra as shown by the 3 cleans sheets on the spin.  One thing he also does is get us up the park much quicker and we can play a higher line due to his mobility.

12 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

He caught my eye, works hard.

2 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Nah BBC pundits went over it and it hit Kingsley's chest, would have been some laugh if he'd given it and wouldn't have been a surprise tbh.....

Aye his hand is miles in the air and looked like a penalty to me on first viewing but 100% chest. Let my 5 year old stay up for the game and that incident actually took the cost to the swear jar up to a round £40.   Happy days   

Edited by Hursty

1 hour ago, Hursty said:

I'm reasonably upbeat after that.  Penalty award as everyone says is just wrong - theres no debate.   I like Baird but there is something in the back of my mind says he could have avoided it though - did it have to skite up off his thigh in the first place?  Small margins / split second decisions in shite weather though - easy to be harsh when you've been sat on your arse for 6 months watching the English Premier.  

Thought Hearts one at the start probably was a penalty - surprised it wasnt given especially as ref seemed at first to be about to award it.  Not an absolute stonewaller but could have had no complaints if it was given.  The two claims Ayr had weren't penalties in the slightest. 

Ayr played OK.  For everyone saying Hearts are average / pish, it's pretty clear that they are top of the table and going to romp the title because their players are significantly better than everyone else in the league.  Its certainly not down to their manager.  There will be games where teams beat them, but it wont happen that often.  We didnt create a lot but had quite a few 'chances to make chances' where the final pass / decision wasnt right - seemed a lack of confidence maybe as sometimes the likes of Walsh / McCowan / Smith were taking an extra touch or turning back where against Alloa they were taking the man on and looking confident - again that's maybe due to being up against Smith and Kingsley at full back.

Still cant decide if Wright up top is an absolute handful or a complete cairthorse - might be a bit of both to he honest but I'm happy having him there.  

Been saying this about Neilson for a while. Give any manager wages of a team in the top six of the top league and put them in the championship and I’m sure they’ll probably win it. If they’re dodgy at the new year here you go here’s another half a dozen top players. 
Did the same with United last season. Yes hearts will win the league but it’s not down to any great tactics.

1 hour ago, DC92 said:

I have palpitations whenever Popescu is on the ball, but Berra isn't much better in that regard and, unlike Berra, he is genuinely capable of playing out from the back, allowing us to hold a much higher line. We've also had three clean sheets in a row, so I can't see Berra coming back in yet.

Agree - I just think Robbie is looking for reasons to bring Berra back, and Popescu's errors have given him that chance.

I always think the answer is for someone like Irving to come and take the ball from the centre-backs. 

1 hour ago, Tony Wonder said:

No danger Berra should come back in IMO. Popescu had two slips, and one was a huge bobble which wasn't really his fault. But we have been far better as a unit with him in than Berra as shown by the 3 cleans sheets on the spin.  One thing he also does is get us up the park much quicker and we can play a higher line due to his mobility.

I agree.

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Basically we need to send Boyce and Nganduillet on a summer camping holiday cycling in the Dordogne till Boyce Speaks French with an Ivorian lilt and Armand speaks English with a Derry accent and they finish each other’s sentences in either

They played like strangers

Early days, I suppose.