Ayr vs Hearts - Friday Night Football

Back on the box for this one as we look to try and build on a couple of good results and get some momentum going. New boy Brett McGavin will be in the squad for this one but whether or not he starts is up for debate. Personally I’d like to see a bit more energy in midfield which Chalmers doesn’t really offer although he does offer a decent dead ball and a bit more composure in midfield. Every other position really picks itself and barring injuries the team should remain the same. Hearts are still stronger than us and I’d take a point and move onto Dundee.

Sinisalo

Miller

Muirhead

Baird

Ndaba

Chalmers

Murdoch

McCowan

Smith

Walsh

Wright

Subs; Hare-Reid, Reading, Roscoe, McGavin, Zanatta, Moffat, McKenzie

51 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Back on the box for this one as we look to try and build on a couple of good results and get some momentum going. New boy Brett McGavin will be in the squad for this one but whether or not he starts is up for debate. Personally I’d like to see a bit more energy in midfield which Chalmers doesn’t really offer although he does offer a decent dead ball and a bit more composure in midfield. Every other position really picks itself and barring injuries the team should remain the same. Hearts are still stronger than us and I’d take a point and move onto Dundee.

Sinisalo

Miller

Muirhead

Baird

Ndaba

Chalmers

Murdoch

McCowan

Smith

Walsh

Wright

Subs; Hare-Reid, Reading, Roscoe, McGavin, Zanatta, Moffat, McKenzie

Would like to say we can take something from this game but i think it'll be a real challenge, however Hearts have had a couple of off days this season so you never know, especially at Somerset i'd hope we don't make it too easy for them, as you say would be more than happy with a draw.

Midfield is an interesting one, i thought Murdoch in the first half especially against Alloa was really good and more like his old self, thought Chlamers looked good too however even against Alloa when they got the ball in midfield it did seem to be rather easy for Alloa attackers to all of a sudden get in behind Murdoch/Chalmers and onto the exposed defence, if we allow that against Hearts they'll punish us. Not sure who McGavin would be best in a partnership with, perhaps Murdoch but difficult to say when we've not seen him play. Honestly think he'll just be on the bench for Friday night at the start at least. 

2-2

3 hours ago, Fitbafollower said:

I believe we need to sacrifice an attacking option from midfield and put a protective player in midfield 

Hearts have many quality players and Naismith causes teams problems playing in the hole behind Boyce

tough ask on Friday nights game

Neilson may well opt for Jamie Walker ahead of Naismith

He came off the bench against Dunfermline and played like a man with a point to prove and arguably proved it

5 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Neilson may well opt for Jamie Walker ahead of Naismith

He came off the bench against Dunfermline and played like a man with a point to prove and arguably proved it

That's not how it works with Walker though is it? He proves that point, gets in then team then goes back to being Jamie Walker :lol:

I am pretty confident about this, seems like the full backs that were pretty poor against us on boxing day have carried that form on since, if that carries into this game then it gets our two biggest threats going.   

The only unknown is what difference the new signings make at Hearts.  

4 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

That's not how it works with Walker though is it? He proves that point, gets in then team then goes back to being Jamie Walker :lol:

Or goes back to not being Jamie Walker, depending on how you want to look at it

I didn't say it's should or shouldn't happen I just said it might

16 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Or goes back to not being Jamie Walker, depending on how you want to look at it

I didn't say it's should or shouldn't happen I just said it might

He was probably our best player against Raith as well and decent against Alloa away.  I think he probably should come in tbh, when Walker is confident it makes a huge difference.

1 hour ago, Tony Wonder said:

He was probably our best player against Raith as well and decent against Alloa away.  I think he probably should come in tbh, when Walker is confident it makes a huge difference.

And in the longer term it's better than working a 34 year old Naismith into the ground

Hearts win have no idea wot a good or bad Ayr side might look like. Stevo in the media this week declaring AU his wee team & Hearts his big team....or at least that’s how my maroon tinted spectacles read it! 

thank f**k it’s on the bbc! The PPV’s have in the main been shocking hearts included.

I'm never confident away from home and Ayr gave us a bit of a scare last time around. As usual this season, if the team turns up and is motivated, we should win, but there have been quite a few occasions this season when that hasn't happened.

Anything against Hearts is a bonus this year for teams, being at home I'd fancy us to nick a draw here. Especially with our new signings already looking to produce the goods, McGavin is an unknown but comes with a good reputation.  Will absolutely depend on what Hearts team turn up, the recent Raith games seem to be an indicator of how hot and cold they can blow.

I’m looking forward to this. Expect it to be tough but think we’ve had a good January and those players could make a difference if it’s still 0-0 in to the second half. Back 5 should be the same, probably Irving and Halliday in front of them then Walker wide, Naismith and Frear (too early for Kastaneer and GMS was quiet last time out) with Boyce up top. Having Kastaneer, GMS and Gnanduillet to come on sure beats where we were 4 weeks ago.

These Friday night away games have been horrible watches so far so I'm not particularly looking forward to this.

7 hours ago, itzdrk said:

The only unknown is what difference the new signings make at Hearts.  

One of them hasn't trained for 8 weeks and another has played 20 minutes this season, so I expect the only one who'll start is Mackay-Steven, even though he's also looked off the pace so far. Gnanduillet is the most likely from the other three, but we usually play one up front and he's still getting up to speed so I expect he'll come off the bench.

Neilson often springs a surprise but I'd guess that we keep the same team as Saturday with Walker coming in for Naismith or Henderson.