Motherwell v Dundee United Nil

12 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I was in a full nail-biting mode at the end there.  It's actually good to have been emotionally involved in a game that much - it's been a while since I've really given a shit tbh

Great stuff from Watty, Devante and not-at-all-torn-faced Chris Long.

I counted every minute from 75, it took about 40 minutes

We’ve had some horrendous decisions against us this season but holy f**k how did we not get a penalty for the challenge on McGinely?

I thought the third challenge in United’s triple penalty claim might have been a penalty but the guy who dived just before it handballed it so the claim was null and void.

Some Dundee United fans' sense of entitlement and lack of financial awareness is really quite astonishing.

Folk wanting us to spend our way out of trouble by hiring and firing managers and moaning we didn't XYZ player. All of this against a backdrop of a global pandemic which, aside from a few thousand season tickets sales, has seen the club have no regular income to speak of for nearly a year. We're the only team in the league to sign no one in January. Asked the players to take a 20% wage deferral. Receiving hand outs from DUSF. But aye, let's sack the latest manger and get another in. If it was guaranteed to keep us up, then yes. But as far as I can see it's a gamble the club simply can't afford.

6 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Some Dundee United fans' sense of entitlement and lack of financial awareness is really quite astonishing.

Folk wanting us to spend our way out of trouble by hiring and firing managers and moaning we didn't XYZ player. All of this against a backdrop of a global pandemic which, aside from a few thousand season tickets sales, has seen the club have no regular income to speak of for nearly a year. We're the only team in the league to sign no one in January. Asked the players to take a 20% wage deferral. Receiving hand outs from DUSF. But aye, let's sack the latest manger and get another in. If it was guaranteed to keep us up, then yes. But as far as I can see it's a gamble the club simply can't afford.

Who wants the manager sacked?

9 minutes ago, Steven W said:

We know the players are competent and we've seen them playing some effective formations - 4-4-2 seems to work.  Unfortunately, MM has ignored the evidence.

14 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

holy f**k how did we not get a penalty for the challenge on McGinely?

I'm more annoyed about that than I should be - we've conceded plenty of soft penalties this season - when someone gets their nose burst and we still don't get a penalty, it's a total farce.

AS others have said, that almost felt like being at a game - I realised that I was standing up watching the last 10 mins after the final whistle which hasn't happened this season.

Cole deservedly got the Pomagne as he was unplayable at times - you can tell he's been well coached in the past. One player that's under the radar for us is Carroll - he has been out long term and has slotted straight back in, he clearly wasn't rushed back like Carson.

The ship definitely feels like it's been mostly steadied since Alexander came in but there are aspects of our play (especially our habit of really sloppy mistakes in amongst some good play) that still don't let me think we're out the woods.

1 minute ago, The DA said:

We know the players are competent and we've seen them playing some effective formations - 4-4-2 seems to work.  Unfortunately, MM has ignored the evidence.

Do we know the players are competent? Cause I see Smith, Robson, Reynolds, Harked among others and think otherwise.

1 minute ago, Steven W said:

Do we know the players are competent? Cause I see Smith, Robson, Reynolds, Harked among others and think otherwise.

Yet each of them has had good games over the season.  Maybe my definition of 'good' has become more lenient over the season though.

That last 5 minutes put me through the wringer but f**k am I delighted to come out with 3 points. Mugabi's turned into a rock at the back and, I'll say it quietly, Lamie was actually alright aside from the one brain fart that Mugabi bailed him out of. Maguire was excellent again, keep him in the team for the rest of the season.

That front 3 were all very good tonight. Cole looks full of confidence through the middle, Watt's been up for scrapping for everything all season and when Chrissy Long actually can be arsed he's an excellent player at this level. 

We had a slow start and I don't know if we changed our shape but our forwards seemed to realise they had the beating of the Utd players out wide and looked as though they were enjoying themselves after that. My nerves could have been doing with them taking one of the chances in the second half when, strangely for all the Utd pressure, we were making the best chances.

It's not like the referee didn't see it, the c**t was 10 yards away and was looking straight at Fuchs volleying McGinley's face. A bizarre decision. 

Delighted with the three points. We didn't get started until after the first 15, and for some reason decided to hang on for dear life for the last 15, but I was really impressed with the other 60 minutes. Devante Cole is really coming onto a game, and his hold up play is superb. He should have had more than the one goal though. More of that from Chris Long too, please. 

When I clocked Utd's front three before the game, up against Mugabi and Lamie, I was dreading it but big Bevis done well. Lamie remains fucking horrific. I've played 7s with better defenders than him. 

It'll be interesting to see how we decide to play against Celtic. You could argue it's almost a free hit considering their recent form, but they're still a quality side and could stick four or five past us if we're not careful. Big few weeks ahead for us. 

11 minutes ago, Desp said:

It'll be interesting to see how we decide to play against Celtic. You could argue it's almost a free hit considering their recent form, but they're still a quality side and could stick four or five past us if we're not careful. Big few weeks ahead for us. 

I'll be genuinely a bit disappointed if we don't get on top of them. Balls into the box and set pieces.

Like you say, free hit, have a fucking go.

I fair enjoyed that. 

As has been said, far from perfect but encouraging. No exaggeration to say we created enough chances to score 4 or 5 tonight and should have had a penalty as well. Meanwhile Kelly was largely untroubled until the last 10 mins, where you could see us begin to panic a bit once Utd pulled one back. 

Again, we started with 10 outfield players who were at the club when Alexander arrived. He’s getting so much more out of Long and especially Cole, those two alongside the ever impressive Watt and we suddenly carry a real threat going forward. 

The addition of Kelly has been vital though and he was once again key to us taking the points. Not so convinced by Smith’s cameo right enough, ironically on a night where White came off the bench to grab a goal and an assist a few miles down the road. 

Was nervous as f**k the last 10 mins but kudos to the players, that’s the 2nd time in a week they’ve stood firm and seen it out. 

Edited by Casagolda

Overjoyed with the win in a game that not long ago we would have lost.

Our strike force is rapidly improving ( Cole Wow)  although Smith is showing early signs of Fisher/ White syndrome!! Still bags of time to impress though .

Kelly is proving an able deputy for TC. SOD and Jake both steady as usual.

Bevis although getting better still gives me the heebie jeebies as seen by losing his man at United's goal. Lamie-- best I can say is that I've seen him play worse. I fully expect Nolan ( or perhaps Tyler) to replace him sooner than later. Hope Dec returns quickly too.

Campbell back to something like his old self. Crawford did well but faded.

Now Maguire!!. Yup I'm in a minority but I really don't get the 'love in ' with him. Yes, no one can't fault his effort and desire to do his best but to me he is seriously limited re guile and craft. Add to that as witnessed tonight he is regularly dispossessed , guilty of misplaced passes and set pieces often going astray. Fully expect  O'Hara or even Foley to replace him when up to speed. 

All in all its great to get the win and certainly grounds for encouragement.

21 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Every game this since Alexander came in we've went backs to the wall for the last ten minutes.

It's going to kill me

That’s because we have been in front with 10 minutes to go (apart from Aberdeen game). 

Huge improvement.