Motherwell v Dundee United Nil

Thought we played some decent stuff at times. Looked better at the back with Butcher.

That 20 mins or so where we fell apart is classic United these days but thank f**k it was contained and not the entire 90. Second half I thought we dominated possession but could have lost a few goals on the counter as Well seemed to sit in and hit on the break very well.  Sporles miss and Butchers shot were the 2 big chances other than the goal.

As usual, some chronic final balls, stadium clearing crosses from Robson and some slack defending Fuched us in the end.

Clark going off and Pawlett coming on I felt made a difference too.

But why did we not chuck on Aperre or Mochrie for Harkes and throw the sink at them?

I like Mellon but the lack of positive changes especially towards the end of games isn't helping much.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

Watching the highlights back this morning and, for me, all of United's penalty appeals are a nonsense. The first one hits Lamie's chest, McNulty's lucky he didn't get booked for that laughable dive and Maguire & Cole both got the ball. Meanwhile Fuchs attempted to kick McGinlay's head into the main stand and that didn't even make the highlights. 

There is still a bit of a clanger in that defence but we looked much better in midfield particularly. Maguire's slotted into the team and shouldn't be dropped for the rest of the season imo. We've been handing him contract extensions and giving him about 3 appearances a season. Give him a long run at it and see if he can cut it. 

And if Chris Long fancies playing like that for the rest of the season that would be lovely. Hopefully the bold Grezza's sat him down and told him if he doesn't sort himself out he'll be doomed to a lifetime in working class Scottish towns. 

49 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

And if Chris Long fancies playing like that for the rest of the season that would be lovely. Hopefully the bold Grezza's sat him down and told him if he doesn't sort himself out he'll be doomed to a lifetime in working class Scottish towns. 

Chris Long just needs to be given the freedom to pick a new shirt number every week.  The reason for the large recruitment was to give him a mental challenge in that regard.

52 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Following the equaliser against County last week, Long's goal last night was another where all 3 forwards were involved in the build up.

I get that out front 3 has been quite fluid under both managers but it's interesting that Robinson always seemed to view Cole as someone to contribute from wide areas yet here he is chipping in with the 6 yard box finishes as a #9.

He's 4 in 5 now with Alexander as manager and while that sort of rate is clearly unsustainable it's worth pointing out that he only scored 4 in his full loan spell last season.

Anyway, aye...if Chrissy Long decides that he'd quite like to be good at fitba' again that would be absolutely smashing.

Just now, Busta Nut said:

He was probably knackered but Cole dropped out the game when he got moved wide for Smith last night anaw.

Defo a central striker rather than the across the front 3 shite

Cole has looked progressively more match-fit every game he's played, I don't think it's horribly unfair to suggest that last night was the longest contribution he's made for us (or maybe it is, sorry Devante) and what a difference he makes. I think if he started wide he'd do just fine, but sticking him wide after the shift he'd already put in, I'd agree. 

Big Hazza can make a difference for us I reckon, but it'll be from the start if he's going to. Sticking him on for 20 minutes at the end of games is never going to show us what  he's capable of. 

1 minute ago, thisGRAEME said:

Sticking him on for 20 minutes at the end of games is never going to show us what  he's capable of. 

I agree with this. Or at least a game where we have a bit of control over it. Last night, under the cosh and just shelling balls at him isn't ideal. Although he did ok once or twice I thought.

Earlier in the season, it seemed to me that we were just filing our front three with "second strikers" and it had no real width and no traditional number 9, but that made me think that when McGhee had us firing in a 4-3-3 in his first spell, you wouldn't have called McCormack or Clarkson a winger.

Turns out we maybe had that number 9 all along in Cole and were just misusing him. The simple tweak of switching him and Watt has worked wonders. Watt isn't an out and out goalscorer and when he's playing centre forward, he seems to drift out wide anyway. Even on a game like last night where his final product isn't always there, he was so important to the team in terms of carrying the ball up the pitch and drawing fouls.

Still a bit raging it's taken until now for Long to look interested, but if he can continue to do so until May, I won't ask many questions.

58 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Cole has looked progressively more match-fit every game he's played, I don't think it's horribly unfair to suggest that last night was the longest contribution he's made for us (or maybe it is, sorry Devante) and what a difference he makes. I think if he started wide he'd do just fine, but sticking him wide after the shift he'd already put in, I'd agree. 

This is very true. Cole was still quite effective when he joined but was clearly miles off match fitness. The difference having a competent goalkeeper, a left back and a centre forward who is match fit is enormous.

Also having options off the bench that are competent is nice. Foley might not start every game but I'd rather we had him to bring on when we're in a shitfight than throwing Cornelius to the dogs. 

15 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Also having options off the bench that are competent is nice. Foley might not start every game but I'd rather we had him to bring on when we're in a shitfight than throwing Cornelius to the dogs. 

Like I said last night, Foley coming on and immediately taking the ball to the corner to waste some time and see if he could get something; You'll do fine for 6 months.

17 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Like I said last night, Foley coming on and immediately taking the ball to the corner to waste some time and see if he could get something; You'll do fine for 6 months.

Absolutely. No harm to Cornelius btw. I'm sure he's a fine player. Just not when we're in backs to the wall shitfests.