Super saints v Hibees 02/02/21

42 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Colour me astonished that Marcus Fraser was penalized for pulling someone back in the box.

He should have probably tried to tackle him way before he got into the box. 

Overall all though, he has been more than decent for us this season. 

1 minute ago, Ric said:

You might not be seeing the wood for the trees here, as Fraser, in the round has been a pretty decent performer for us. A little slow start but has progressed in the stripes. I think most County fans felt he'd maybe run his race and needed a new challenge to get the best out of him and that looks to be the case. I doubt you'll find many Saints fans having a bad word for him.

As for the penalty, it was soft to say the least. Murphy tumbled to ground when he realised he'd over run his position.

Nothing against Fraser and he's generally a decent full back, but if he ever panics about being beaten by pace, trickery or in the air he's very, very quick to grab hold of shirts. Cost us a game down at Accies for it.

3 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Nothing against Fraser and he's generally a decent full back, but if he ever panics about being beaten by pace, trickery or in the air he's very, very quick to grab hold of shirts. Cost us a game down at Accies for it.

He's by no means the worst offender in what has been a very solid defence. In fact the meanest defence outside of the top 4.

11 minutes ago, Ric said:

You might not be seeing the wood for the trees here, as Fraser, in the round has been a pretty decent performer for us. A little slow start but has progressed in the stripes. I think most County fans felt he'd maybe run his race and needed a new challenge to get the best out of him and that looks to be the case. I doubt you'll find many Saints fans having a bad word for him.

As for the penalty, it was soft to say the least. Murphy tumbled to ground when he realised he'd over run his position.

Red card clear as day.

Pen looked very similar to the way Obika went down a few weeks ago with minimal contact, and was yellow carded.

Overall though another good performance.

That goal got us no points, but I think it'll help keep our confidence levels high.

1 minute ago, Bobby_F said:

Red card clear as day.

Pen looked very similar to the way Obika went down a few weeks ago with minimal contact, and was yellow carded.

Overall though another good performance.

That goal got us no points, but I think it'll help keep our confidence levels high.

Yeah, you could maybe say Alnwick could have done better, but it was an absolute hospital pass, especially considering it was Boyle who isn't short of pace.

It was definitely a red, no real way to argue that. The penalty, however, is very much open to argument. There could be a better angle but each one I've seen seems to suggest Murphy's legs are somehow not working on the same laws of gravity as the rest of us are.

I'm sure the Hibbees will be well happy to come away with the 3 points as if we'd kept 11 on the field I'm not sure that would have been the result.

11 minutes ago, Ric said:

The penalty, however, is very much open to argument. There could be a better angle but each one I've seen seems to suggest Murphy's legs are somehow not working on the same laws of gravity as the rest of us are.

I'm sure the Hibbees will be well happy to come away with the 3 points as if we'd kept 11 on the field I'm not sure that would have been the result.

Really?

His hand was on Murphys back, I cba posting you a screenshot but seemed clear as day to me.

As to the highlighted bit, thats very much in "aunties, baws, uncles" territory, in the same way as I could bleat on that if Morelos was sent off against us we would have won, not lost 3 points.............

I still think it was a bad loss to be honest. Even at 10 v 11 there was nothing in it and we've really been undone by our own mistakes. Hibs haven't had to work particularly hard to beat us, with the red card being self inflicted, first goal is just Tait letting his man run off him to easy, and the second a soft penalty because Fraser panicked. Games like this will be the ones that let us down going for top six. Livi would have taken at least a point yesterday in the same circumstances.

4 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Really?

His hand was on Murphys back, I cba posting you a screenshot but seemed clear as day to me.

As to the highlighted bit, thats very much in "aunties, baws, uncles" territory, in the same way as I could bleat on that if Morelos was sent off against us we would have won, not lost 3 points.............

I don’t think it’s outrageous to suggest that the result might have been different had we kept 11 on the park. You, me, every football fan on the planet, will say something like that in just about every game. At the end of your defeat to St Johnstone at Hampden, if Hibs fans across the globe didn’t say ‘it would have been a different result if Murphy hadn’t missed those two chances in the first half’, then there’s something wrong with you. Auntie, baws and uncle though, eh.

18 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

at Hampden, if Hibs fans across the globe didn’t say ‘it would have been a different result if Murphy hadn’t missed those two chances in the first half’, then there’s something wrong with you. Auntie, baws and uncle though, eh.

Not really if you spent any time watching our shambolic defence in the matches leading up to that semi 🤣

I think that most Hibs fans said it could have had a big effect on the match, but to say it would have been a different result is in very different territory.

This stuff sullies the St Mirren/Hibs love affair so lets just agree to kiss and make up.

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

As to the highlighted bit, thats very much in "aunties, baws, uncles" territory..

Perhaps, but up until Alnwick decided to try and make Boyle a little shorter, you were by no means in control of that match, it was pretty much even (and with rose tinted specs on, I thought we were slightly better, hence why Ross' hand was forced with the two subs).

Even then you managed to beat a team by a single goal who not only were down to 10 men but had lost their keeper within the first 30 minutes or so.

So yeah, it's obvious a point of debate, but I doubt you would have come away with all 3 points last night if we had kept the 11 on the park. That's not to say we would have won the game, just that I don't think we would have lost it.

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

Not really if you spent any time watching our shambolic defence in the matches leading up to that semi 🤣

I think that most Hibs fans said it could have had a big effect on the match, but to say it would have been a different result is in very different territory.

This stuff sullies the St Mirren/Hibs love affair so lets just agree to kiss and make up.

The guy you quoted did say he wasn’t sure that would have been the result. 😜 Don’t get me wrong, it IS auntie-baws-uncle conjecture. Everything is though... If only Gary McAllister had scored that penalty at Wembley... if only I hadn’t chosen to go to Loch Lomond Shores the day a twenty-stone boot in a Honda Jazz thought it would be a laugh to pull straight out at a roundabout and smash into the side of me.... 

Nothing can sully the St Mirren / Hibs love-in. Fcuk Captain Tom, that is the real lockdown feelgood story. 

Edited by pozbaird

11 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Didn’t think it was much of a penalty myself. There was a bit of pulling at the arm but not enough to warrant a spot kick IMO. Guess if you do it you’re risking that decision being made. Boyle’s hit was surprisingly good though.

Agreed. Given that we've had two or three pretty soft penalties in the last few weeks we can hardly complain.

I still think it was a bad loss to be honest. Even at 10 v 11 there was nothing in it and we've really been undone by our own mistakes. Hibs haven't had to work particularly hard to beat us, with the red card being self inflicted, first goal is just Tait letting his man run off him to easy, and the second a soft penalty because Fraser panicked. Games like this will be the ones that let us down going for top six. Livi would have taken at least a point yesterday in the same circumstances.

Can’t disagree with anything in the first part of your post. JDH needs to take the brunt of the blame for last night. Had Cammy or Ethan made a mistake like that they’d have got pelters. If JDH keeps playing like that then he will end up signing that contract offer he has on the table for us because he won’t get a better one elsewhere.
Livi aren’t our rivals for the top six though. The top five is set and there’s no realistic chance of anyone outside it currently catching anyone in it. Certainly not before the split.
Our real rivals for that final top six spot are Dundee Utd - who lost 2-0 at home to Hibs with 11 men and St Johnstone.

35 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

The guy you quoted did say he wasn’t sure that would have been the result. 😜 Don’t get me wrong, it IS auntie-baws-uncle conjecture. Everything is though... If only Gary McAllister had scored that penalty at Wembley... if only I hadn’t chosen to go to Loch Lomond Shores the day a twenty-stone boot in a Honda Jazz thought it would be a laugh to pull straight out at a roundabout and smash into the side of me.... 

Nothing can sully the St Mirren / Hibs love-in. Fcuk Captain Tom, that is the real lockdown feelgood story. 

No need

Not a penalty IMO, but as written above, we've been given some proper soft ones recently so I'm not really complaining. Fraser does sort of swipe him with his arms a couple of times so can see why the ref has given it, even if actual contact was minimal.

Sort of defeat that won't really have done much to damage our confidence, so hopefully we can get ourselves sorted for the weekend.