Alloa Vs QoS

Didn't pick up at the time that Graham was barged over at the corner by Obileye. Poetic justice that he got up to score, however much it was against the run of play. Graham certainly not to blame for Shields going down there. The incident that involved Shields hurting his ankle does indeed look innocuous too, not clear if it is even a foul. Whoever wrote the rather embarrassing match report on the QoS site should have a look over the highlights. 

Edited by Waspie

17 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Didn't pick up at the time that Graham was barged over at the corner by Obileye. Poetic justice that he got up to score, however much it was against the run of play. Graham certainly not to blame for Shields going down there. The incident that involved Shields hurting his ankle does indeed look innocuous too, not clear if it is even a foul. Whoever wrote the rather embarrassing match report on the QoS site should have a look over the highlights. 

I believe it's an indictment of journalism these days that it's not about commenting on what definitely happened and then let people judge for themselves, it's about grabbing eyes. That match report is a bit spurious.

But then a prominent journalist from an Edinburgh paper invented the other week that Alloa's astroturf pitch was frozen. I suspect in the hopes of having a laugh at the expense of an "all weather pitch" being postponed. He was only 150 miles out. If that's what's classed as professional I don't hold much hopes for someone that's only a student.

26 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Didn't pick up at the time that Graham was barged over at the corner by Obileye. Poetic justice that he got up to score, however much it was against the run of play. Graham certainly not to blame for Shields going down there. The incident that involved Shields hurting his ankle does indeed look innocuous too, not clear if it is even a foul. Whoever wrote the rather embarrassing match report on the QoS site should have a look over the 

28 minutes ago, Waspie said:

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

It was utterly innocuous. It was a waste of time to put it in the highlights.

Thought at the time it was a soft free kick  and the replay confirms it, unfortunately Shields  has received a sore one,  also I certainly never seen evidence of Shields getting "booted off the park". Big 3 points for alloa  after a dogged performance,

I believe it's an indictment of journalism these days that it's not about commenting on what definitely happened and then let people judge for themselves, it's about grabbing eyes. That match report is a bit spurious.

But then a prominent journalist from an Edinburgh paper invented the other week that Alloa's astroturf pitch was frozen. I suspect in the hopes of having a laugh at the expense of an "all weather pitch" being postponed. He was only 150 miles out. If that's what's classed as professional I don't hold much hopes for someone that's only a student.

It really isnt.

What it is, is someone writing a match report straight after the game based on what they saw first hand, without any replays. Its a Queens fan writing on a Queens site, so its always going to be slightly biased.

The challenge on Shields isnt exactly dangerous but its nowhere near the ball and he clearly kicks his ankle. Given Shields then goes off with a swollen ankle I dont think theres too much wrong with describing it as a "bad" challenge.

Theres nothing particularly spurious or embarrassing about the match report.

Edited by Mr X

10 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

The reunification of the tried and tested back 4 once Robbo came on didnt really miss a step. And we finally got Cameron into the game. He missed a couple of good chances but I thought he was really effective. 

I felt it was more of a back 3 most of the time, with Robbo and Stevie Hetherington wide, but dropping back to make 5 when we were defending. Dick didn't really push forward or go wide at all. It certainly was an improvement though.

After my pre-match criticism of Peter Grant for his lack of imagination formation-wise, I suppose I need to acknowledge that and even playing Stevie wide left, although that one was questionable.

I'd really prefer to see Robbo more central, alongside both Grant and Hetherington tbh, but I'm not sure how the rest of the team would line up to accommodate that.

Also, have to acknowledge that Cameron had a good second half. 

Edited by printer

4 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

"Graham was onside only due to the grounded Shields"

I expect a written apology and a public correction on the qosfc website now😂

See, thats whats called a mistake, which is easily corrected. A bit like leaving a key moment from the game out of the highlights ;) 

Just now, LeodhasXD said:

Don't mistake me for having journalistic integrity😂

Leaving out a key moment is the opposite of integrity ;)  Apart from the goals, the Alloa subs and Shields going off were the only key moments from the game that affected the result.

Im pretty sure Finaly meant "unmarked" instead of "onside" but I've changed the report anyway.

12 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Leaving out a key moment is the opposite of integrity ;)  Apart from the goals, the Alloa subs and Shields going off were the only key moments from the game that affected the result.

Im pretty sure Finaly meant "unmarked" instead of "onside" but I've changed the report anyway.

I'm not sure he did. The post match interview with the manager referred to Shields playing him onside too. I think Maxwell is doing so.

Your point stands though. Its a match report written at full time with no benefit of replay footage. If he's called something offside when it wasnt or a bad challenge when it was a fairly run of the mill foul then so what? Alloa's match commentator posted above that Joseph, who was a sub and didnt come on till 20 mins to go, had a great 1st half. Mistakes happen. I presume he meant Jones. Its not really indicative of poor journalism standards either. 

And the foul on Shields that took him off was certainly nowhere near as bad as I thought to be fair but it is a clear foul.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Very much a game of two halves. Thought we dominated the first half, or at least the first half hour and probably should have been more than one up. Shields and Fitzpatrick should both do better with clear chances at 1-0.

Good to get another chance to see the equaliser. Wondered at the time if it might have been a foul on Shields or a head knock but I dont actually see much wrong with it. Graham is knocked into Shields by Obileye and he goes over him quite badly but if it was a head knock then it wasnt immediately obvious and I dont blame the ref for playing on. Looks like Maxwell at the near side is probably just playing Graham onside too. We have to do a better job of recognising quicker that with Shields out of the game, Graham is all alone. Still, the whole thing is unfortunate. Its completely against the run of play at the time, its a freak injury to Shields and the ball deflected to an unmarked Graham as a result.

I'd have liked to see the foul that ended Shields game again too. It looked a bad one. Alloa were pretty 'robust' first half. We werent remotely as effective once Shields departed. Mebude has some good things to offer but he's not a direct replacement for Shields and the formation didnt really work once he came on. Pybus was less effective deeper too. 

No complaints 2nd half. Better side won, we were poor. Only the header from Obileye well saved by Parry and the late shot for Jones he should at least have hit target with to show for the half. The winner is horrible. Cawley gets a pretty much free header and we are static when it rebounds back to him. The Cameron chip and the Buchanan pull back acriss the face of goal were both better chances to add to the margin than anything we offered.

Disappointing day. Opportunity missed to go joint 5th. Instead we are back in 9th. Its so tight in the middle but we have a tough 3 weeks now with Hearts, Inverness, Dundee and Dunfermline to come.

Disappointing day I would go further and say a disaster simply not good enough .

We need to sign men not boys Alloa experience won them the game we have a clueless manager who has no plan B.

What is Goss going to do in the 90th min  

I doubt the journalist involved invented that, more that he was so excited at the prospect of a cheap shot he thought his target audience (Hearts fans) would lap up that he didn't check his facts. Which is still shoddy. But important to point out that good journalism still exists, and that it is possible to provide good journalism that grabs eyes! 

I wouldn't use the QoS report to attack journalism. It's an in house report targeted at a specific audience and a bit of bias is expected and understandable. That said, if you are writing immediately post match without having seen incidents a second time it might be advisable to be a bit more careful. Even allowing for bias, the repetitive Shields narrative in particular is over the top and rather embarrassing IMO. But each to their own and looking at this thread and twitter, plenty of QoS fans were happy to buy into it. 

Yeah you're 100% right @Waspie

I'm just on the windup this morning.

Jim Goodwin used to complain our chances get cut out of away games but ours were too unbiased.

Nowadays I try to aim for 10 minutes. But whatever interests me goes in, hence the throwin nonsense. Stevie Hetherington's customary yellow card, and Jamieson's tackle just felt like a bit of dead time before they were cut.

22 minutes ago, Waspie said:

I doubt the journalist involved invented that, more that he was so excited at the prospect of a cheap shot he thought his target audience (Hearts fans) would lap up that he didn't check his facts. Which is still shoddy. But important to point out that good journalism still exists, and that it is possible to provide good journalism that grabs eyes! 

I wouldn't use the QoS report to attack journalism. It's an in house report targeted at a specific audience and a bit of bias is expected and understandable. That said, if you are writing immediately post match without having seen incidents a second time it might be advisable to be a bit more careful. Even allowing for bias, the repetitive Shields narrative in particular is over the top and rather embarrassing IMO. But each to their own and looking at this thread and twitter, plenty of QoS fans were happy to buy into it. 

Indeed. It's understandable to an extent as Queens appear to be very reliant on Shields. We may have reacted slightly similar if it happened to O'Hara last season. But suggestions Shields was booted off the pitch are well wide of the mark. Two main incidents which were unfortunate but either accidental or with no malice or intent to cause injury.

Added onto that, most of the Alloa team on very good terms with him as an ex team mate. He was openly chatting to majority of them in the warm up. Of course it's different when the whistle blows but I'm sure no one would have been looking to injure him.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

4 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Jim Goodwin used to complain our chances get cut out of away games but ours were too unbiased.

Nowadays I try to aim for 10 minutes. But whatever interests me goes in, hence the throwin nonsense. Stevie Hetherington's customary yellow card, and Jamieson's tackle just felt like a bit of dead time before they were cut.

I was glad the throw in madness went in, because goals aside it was probably the first remotely entertaining moment of the game.

34 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Alloa's match commentator posted above that Joseph, who was a sub and didnt come on till 20 mins to go, had a great 1st half. Mistakes happen. I presume he meant Jones. Its not really indicative of poor journalism standards either. 

Typo in a pie and bovril post. Gave Jones the credit in comm’s, as well as trying to learn and give as much QoS detail as I could. Fair enough but yeah, nothing more than a typo in a fan forum. Did wonder what the reply meant but yeah, meant Isaiah Jones.

37 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Offside onside bad challenge bad music. Happy Sunday three points for the Wasps 

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm not sure he did. The post match interview with the manager referred to Shields playing him onside too. I think Maxwell is doing so.

Your point stands though. Its a match report written at full time with no benefit of replay footage. If he's called something offside when it wasnt or a bad challenge when it was a fairly run of the mill foul then so what? Alloa's match commentator posted above that Joseph, who was a sub and didnt come on till 20 mins to go, had a great 1st half. Mistakes happen. I presume he meant Jones. Its not really indicative of poor journalism standards either. 

And the foul on Shields that took him off was certainly nowhere near as bad as I thought to be fair but it is a clear foul.

Fair enough, I havent heard the post match interviews. Maxwell is clearly playing Graham onside.