Alloa Vs QoS

4 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

And there was me thinking it’s because we finished above bottom placed Partick. Silly me.  

The season finished early whilst you were still ahead of Partick, they had games in hand, the lockdown saved your team 

6 minutes ago, MS RR said:

The season finished early whilst you were still ahead of Partick, they had games in hand, the lockdown saved your team 

Yeah Partick winning that game in hand was a 100% stick on what with their excellent form at the time.

Edited by Dougie Mills

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

An interesting enough game and one that Alloa Athletic deserved to win. It was shaping up to be a fantastic encounter, with Queen of the South doing really well in the opening stages and perpetually getting behind the Wasps' defence, but it all seemed to grind to a halt after big Andy Graham's equaliser and then Connor Shields' substitution. The contest lost its tempo and Queen of the South only ever threatened again at the death when Neil Parry was forced into a good save from a header. Players like Wullie Gibson and Aidan Fitzpatrick, who both started well, seemed to drop out of it entirely.

I thought Alloa were a lot better in the second half - Jon Robertson made a difference when he came on - and Kevin Cawley took his goal well. Innes Cameron should have made sure of the win but he somehow failed to connect with a great ball across the goal line.

No issues with the stream, and I thought the young play-by-play commentator was very good.

I'd say something about the pre-match music but after reading the loathsome "Wasps1" will get a kick out of it, I'll refrain. How on earth is he still involved at the Recs!

Hand in the music for next week and as always happy to play ur tunes. Happy weekend 

I was rushing at the last minute to subscribe for the stream for the 3 o'clock start,   which I just managed to do,  the delayed kick-off meant the early constant  buffering wasn't an issue when the game actually got going.  A couple of other short buffering moments during the game weren't really a great inconvenience,  probably more to do with issues at my end. Overall a very good service,  if only the same could be said for the pre-match music. One very small quibble of mine,  the camera not being situated right on the halfway line. Well done to Alloa for the stream ( and more grudgingly, the match result) 

3 minutes ago, weetoonlad said:

No issues with the stream, and I thought the young play-by-play commentator was very good.

Appreciate that mate, thank you. I really just have the easy job compared to everyone else frantically running about on match-day.

Today was so very much needed but jeez, it wasn't pretty. Not sure much much the weather, delays, countless start-stop nature of the game played into it but it never really got a good flow. Two teams battling at the bottom I suppose. Queens started brightly but as soon as Shields went off, it kinda stopped. Have to admit, couldn't really see what happened at the goal and us not seeing replays leaves us in a sticky position in the comm's. Impressed by Joseph in the first hlaf for QoS but as soon as things weren't going his way, Hetherington and Dick had relative ease dealing with him.

Alloa were dogged today and won ugly. Two stalwarts coming up with the two big moments like they have do so often through the years. Hetherington stepped up this week and looked back to his best after a wayward performance last Saturday at Somerset. You also can't underestimate the influence of Taggart back in. Slotted in seamlessly. Then when the changed was forced, Robertson came on, changed the game really and Taggart was again so comfortable at centre half. A familiar backline that looked solid defensively and posed a threat coming forward.

Inness Cameron was nowhere near the game in the first half. Not really a slight on him, feeding off scraps. Second half though he did exactly what he was in the team to do. Tough battle against Obileye and Breen, who I thought were a decent pairing and definite improvement on Buchanan, but he held his own and looked like he relished the battle. 

Previous posts are right, you aren't going to win many playing like that. However, Alloa needed that to get a wee monkey off their back and kick-start some form. We could really do with Inverness away on Wednesday being called off so we can go into Arbroath next Saturday fresh. Another must-win game against, again, a relegation rival in good form. 

Also, today we were always going to win after Sean McGuigan put QoS as his 'banker' on last night's View From A Terrace. Forgot to slip that into today's commentary! 😛

2 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

Appreciate that mate, thank you. I really just have the easy job compared to everyone else frantically running about on match-day.

Today was so very much needed but jeez, it wasn't pretty. Not sure much much the weather, delays, countless start-stop nature of the game played into it but it never really got a good flow. Two teams battling at the bottom I suppose. Queens started brightly but as soon as Shields went off, it kinda stopped. Have to admit, couldn't really see what happened at the goal and us not seeing replays leaves us in a sticky position in the comm's. Impressed by Joseph in the first hlaf for QoS but as soon as things weren't going his way, Hetherington and Dick had relative ease dealing with him.

Alloa were dogged today and won ugly. Two stalwarts coming up with the two big moments like they have do so often through the years. Hetherington stepped up this week and looked back to his best after a wayward performance last Saturday at Somerset. You also can't underestimate the influence of Taggart back in. Slotted in seamlessly. Then when the changed was forced, Robertson came on, changed the game really and Taggart was again so comfortable at centre half. A familiar backline that looked solid defensively and posed a threat coming forward.

Inness Cameron was nowhere near the game in the first half. Not really a slight on him, feeding off scraps. Second half though he did exactly what he was in the team to do. Tough battle against Obileye and Breen, who I thought were a decent pairing and definite improvement on Buchanan, but he held his own and looked like he relished the battle. 

Previous posts are right, you aren't going to win many playing like that. However, Alloa needed that to get a wee monkey off their back and kick-start some form. We could really do with Inverness away on Wednesday being called off so we can go into Arbroath next Saturday fresh. Another must-win game against, again, a relegation rival in good form. 

Also, today we were always going to win after Sean McGuigan put QoS as his 'banker' on last night's View From A Terrace. Forgot to slip that into today's commentary! 😛

Goalkeeping coach Alan Fraser barking up to the stand that Parry indeed saved the shot and it didnt hit the bar was a good wee moment today 😀. We'd better watch because we have a good laugh at Peter Grant's antics every week. Now we know he can probably hear every word 😬

Second half was much more like us in terms of organisation and most importantly concentration. The reunification of the tried and tested back 4 once Robbo came on didnt really miss a step. And we finally got Cameron into the game. He missed a couple of good chances but I thought he was really effective. 

Loved Andy screaming at his team mates to concentrate in the last few minutes. Covid football might be sanitised and rubbish, but no one in the ground really amplifies wee things like this.

Didnt look like there was much in the Jamieson clash with Shields. Didnt have the benefit of seeing it again so I dont know if he fell awkwardly. Although I was pleased to see him leave the game- he was causing us lots of problems- it was also a shame for the player. He looks really sharp and fulfilling the potential we could always see in him at Alloa which never quite came to the surface.

Overall that was a massive 3 points. With Arbroath winning, even a draw would have been a real setback. Hopefully we can build on that and get back on a good run of form.

There are so many errors with that second goal, it's truly remarkable and it's so preventable. To begin with, if the GK has come that far off his line he just has to have shouted. If Breen leaves it the danger is over. Instead it's headed into the middle and (surprise surprise) all of our midfield is posted missing. Maxwell then intercepts and puts the ball back into midfield and again an Alloa jersey picks it up. Maxwell has been dragged out of position but he absolutely has to close down the cross quicker than that. Then we have a player in between our two CB's with a completely free header. The ball loops up and we just stop. Even an Alloa attacker follows the ball in, and that's not even the goalscorer! You have to hope your GK has a better awareness there as well but hey ho. And to the surprise of no one we react second to the loose ball. Just an absolute calamity of sloppiness. If it was a once off I wouldn't have bothered going into so much detail but ffs how many goals like that have we to concede before they improve?

The first one is just a textbook corner. We know how those go. The ref doesn't appear to see Shields land on his neck so maybe I was a bit harsh earlier when I thought he should have stopped play.

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

Very much a game of two halves. Thought we dominated the first half, or at least the first half hour and probably should have been more than one up. Shields and Fitzpatrick should both do better with clear chances at 1-0.

Good to get another chance to see the equaliser. Wondered at the time if it might have been a foul on Shields or a head knock but I dont actually see much wrong with it. Graham is knocked into Shields by Obileye and he goes over him quite badly but if it was a head knock then it wasnt immediately obvious and I dont blame the ref for playing on. Looks like Maxwell at the near side is probably just playing Graham onside too. We have to do a better job of recognising quicker that with Shields out of the game, Graham is all alone. Still, the whole thing is unfortunate. Its completely against the run of play at the time, its a freak injury to Shields and the ball deflected to an unmarked Graham as a result.

I'd have liked to see the foul that ended Shields game again too. It looked a bad one. Alloa were pretty 'robust' first half. We werent remotely as effective once Shields departed. Mebude has some good things to offer but he's not a direct replacement for Shields and the formation didnt really work once he came on. Pybus was less effective deeper too. 

No complaints 2nd half. Better side won, we were poor. Only the header from Obileye well saved by Parry and the late shot for Jones he should at least have hit target with to show for the half. The winner is horrible. Cawley gets a pretty much free header and we are static when it rebounds back to him. The Cameron chip and the Buchanan pull back acriss the face of goal were both better chances to add to the margin than anything we offered.

Disappointing day. Opportunity missed to go joint 5th. Instead we are back in 9th. Its so tight in the middle but we have a tough 3 weeks now with Hearts, Inverness, Dundee and Dunfermline to come.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Its so tight in the middle but we have a tough 3 weeks now with Hearts, Inverness, Dundee and Dunfermline to come.

Morton have Inverness (a), Hearts (a) and Dundee (h) in no particular order to complete the second round of fixtures as well, so you certainly won't be losing any ground to us. Alloa will likely make the relegation battle tighter in the meantime and Arbroath might well move above all three. 

That win for Alloa was huge as if they were held to another home draw then they might have just about run out of favourable games to claw back the existing deficit. That's certainly not the case now. 

Edited by vikingTON