Your favourite football decade

Has to be late 80's to late 90's for me. Initially got to see Hearts regularly slugging it out in the old Tynecastle with decent players like Robbo, John Colquhoun, Gary Mackay etc. Then moved to Dortmund and started watching the mighty BVB. I can clearly remember my first game at Westfalenstadion, BVB v Nurnberg and it being a 2-2 draw. I just remember how massive the stadium was and how big the floodlights were and how the grass was like some kind of green carpet compared to some of the sticklebrick mudbaths that I'd been to in Scotland. I was really luck to see some truly genius players and some amazing matches the like of which I'll never see again. At the time Dortmund were an average side but had a few decent cult players like Frank Mill (never pulled his socks up or wore shin pads EVER), Norbert Dickel and Wolfgang (Teddy) De Beer. I remember them beating Celtic 2-0 with Dickel scoring twice and the place erupting. Was lucky enough to get to see Netherlands v Republic of Ireland in Euro '88 with Gullit, Van Basten and Koeman etc and Wim Kieft's lucky volley sending Ireland out and remember how mental the dutch fans went. I can remember Dortmund winning the German Cup against heavy favourites Werder Bremen 4-1with Murdo McLeod playing alongside Andy Möller in the final and them parading the cup the next day. Also lucky enough to have seen players like Stephan Chapuisat, Fleming Povlsen (European Championship Winner), Matthias Sammer and Karl Heinz Riedle week in week out. I'll never forget standing in what was the old Südtribune (now the Yellow Wall) watching BVB humbling Bayern 3 nil. Can remember Italia 90 clearly and the joy at England getting beat in the semi finals and also Euro 96 where we were robbed by England only to see the greatest player in the World at the time blooter his penalty past Seaman in the semi final to put Germany through in spite of England being given home advantage in every game. Baddiel and Skinner crying into their lager was priceless! Can also remember BVB HAMMERING the overpaid overhyped Juventus 3-1 in the Champions League final which was a bit of revenge for Juventus previously beating them in the UEFA Cup final a few seasons before. Lambert was instrumental in that CL win and a Dortmund legend. 

Also got to the Weserstadion to see Scotland gub Germany 1 nil thanks to Don Hutchison. A great day out!

The whole football experience was miles better back then, tickets were cheaper, you could get decent food n drink at games and the atmosphere was better. I always miss it but am grateful for the experiences.

On 01/02/2021 at 15:35, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

The 70s

1. I was young enough to not suffer from cynicism and watched football with an optimistic eye.

2. Scotland were good, Wembley 77 being the best.

3. Players played for something other than money

4. Clyde were still visiting grounds like Tynecastle, Dens, Tannadice & Fir Park

5. Terracings

6. It was cheap.

It's probably an age thing but it was the 70s for me too. While Scotland were relatively good England were poor which even at a young age I learned was worthy of smug satisfaction.  Great memories of the '74 and '78 qualifying campaigns even if the finals themselves were a let down. As a youngster thehe Home Internationals had a certain attraction too and actually seemed to be important. Maybe the best part was that I lived with the delusional idea that one day I might become a footballing superstar myself - it's all been downhill since then.

2 hours ago, Andy Möller's Penalty said:

in spite of England being given home advantage in every game.

Um...you are aware that the host nation(s) has always had home advantage in tournaments, yes?

5 hours ago, Andy Möller's Penalty said:

Has to be late 80's to late 90's for me. Initially got to see Hearts regularly slugging it out in the old Tynecastle with decent players like Robbo, John Colquhoun, Gary Mackay etc. Then moved to Dortmund and started watching the mighty BVB. I can clearly remember my first game at Westfalenstadion, BVB v Nurnberg and it being a 2-2 draw. I just remember how massive the stadium was and how big the floodlights were and how the grass was like some kind of green carpet compared to some of the sticklebrick mudbaths that I'd been to in Scotland. I was really luck to see some truly genius players and some amazing matches the like of which I'll never see again. At the time Dortmund were an average side but had a few decent cult players like Frank Mill (never pulled his socks up or wore shin pads EVER), Norbert Dickel and Wolfgang (Teddy) De Beer. I remember them beating Celtic 2-0 with Dickel scoring twice and the place erupting. Was lucky enough to get to see Netherlands v Republic of Ireland in Euro '88 with Gullit, Van Basten and Koeman etc and Wim Kieft's lucky volley sending Ireland out and remember how mental the dutch fans went. I can remember Dortmund winning the German Cup against heavy favourites Werder Bremen 4-1with Murdo McLeod playing alongside Andy Möller in the final and them parading the cup the next day. Also lucky enough to have seen players like Stephan Chapuisat, Fleming Povlsen (European Championship Winner), Matthias Sammer and Karl Heinz Riedle week in week out. I'll never forget standing in what was the old Südtribune (now the Yellow Wall) watching BVB humbling Bayern 3 nil. Can remember Italia 90 clearly and the joy at England getting beat in the semi finals and also Euro 96 where we were robbed by England only to see the greatest player in the World at the time blooter his penalty past Seaman in the semi final to put Germany through in spite of England being given home advantage in every game. Baddiel and Skinner crying into their lager was priceless! Can also remember BVB HAMMERING the overpaid overhyped Juventus 3-1 in the Champions League final which was a bit of revenge for Juventus previously beating them in the UEFA Cup final a few seasons before. Lambert was instrumental in that CL win and a Dortmund legend. 

Also got to the Weserstadion to see Scotland gub Germany 1 nil thanks to Don Hutchison. A great day out!

The whole football experience was miles better back then, tickets were cheaper, you could get decent food n drink at games and the atmosphere was better. I always miss it but am grateful for the experiences.

Was expecting a link at the end of this post, that would empty my bank account.

The 1970s for me and not because we won the ECWC in 1972.

I have Follow Followed since the mid 60s but always was taken by my auld man or my uncle or, when I got older, had to ask  money from my parents to go to games - which wasn't always available.

In 1977 I left school and started work so from seasons 1977 to 1980 - before I went to Uni -  I could pay my own way and watch The Rangers whenever I wanted.

That my first season, 1977-78 - was a treble winning one under Jock Wallace helped a great deal!

90s for me. The decade I first started going to games and when my obsession with the game began.

I count myself lucky that I’m just old enough to remember terracing, watching us beat the Old Firm and play in Europe. I used to travel by supporters bus to every away game and we would regularly take big crowds away, especially to grounds like Ibrox, Parkhead and Rugby Park. Used to love when teams like Motherwell, Killie and Falkirk would routinely bring thousands to Firhill.

I witnessed the crushing lows of Tannadice ‘96, Ayr Utd ‘98 and Save The Jags, but also the Lambie revival towards the end of the decade when we celebrated avoiding the drop to Division Three on the last game of the season.  It was never boring anyway.

Throw in Euro ‘96 and France ‘98 as well.

Football was magic then.

It should be the 80s for me as a Dundee United fan, but I'll have to say the 'sixties.

Chewing gum cards, league ladders given out in comics at the start of each season, getting taken around a variety of grounds at different levels as my dad was a reporter, being allowed to stay up late on a Saturday to watch highlights on the television, going down the park on a Sunday to mimic the goals and celebrations we'd all watched, getting my first games with organised teams, collecting programmes and autographs some from far flung places like King's Lynn and Accrington, long summers spent in the park playing football, and as we grew up, watching the girls and showing off clumsily to them, Terylene scarves, rosettes for the Cup games, Scotland becoming World Champions in 1967................................

Edited by Dundee Hibernian

11 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

90s for me. The decade I first started going to games and when my obsession with the game began.

I count myself lucky that I’m just old enough to remember terracing, watching us beat the Old Firm and play in Europe. I used to travel by supporters bus to every away game and we would regularly take big crowds away, especially to grounds like Ibrox, Parkhead and Rugby Park. Used to love when teams like Motherwell, Killie and Falkirk would routinely bring thousands to Firhill.

I witnessed the crushing lows of Tannadice ‘96, Ayr Utd ‘98 and Save The Jags, but also the Lambie revival towards the end of the decade when we celebrated avoiding the drop to Division Three on the last game of the season.  It was never boring anyway.

Throw in Euro ‘96 and France ‘98 as well.

Football was magic then.

That's a good point. Supporters buses, before everyone drove to the game.

Dalmarnock Branch 1970s - those were the days!!

2000s for me. Particularly the first half of the decade.

Other than the fact Clyde were at the top end of the Championship...

Some of the teams were outstanding. Arsenal, AC Milan and Real Madrid in particular. 

The Champions League was much more entertaining to watch and less set up for the same few teams to succeed. 

The 2002 World Cup was brilliant. Euro 2004 was excellent, too, especially with Greece winning it and beating the hosts twice in the process.

The kits were much smarter back then, too. The total 90 template in particular is a classic. And the boots. Adidas Preddies 😍

Social media was in its infancy back then so c*nts like Neymar and Jessie Lingaard weren’t a thing.

And the early 2000s was my heyday with Strathaven Dynamos U14s to U17s!

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

In common with many other Dons fans, it has to be the 80's. Unbelievable times when winning trophies became almost commonplace. Also had a few good times with the Scotland team - great games at Hampden and abroad. 

Tragic to have to suffer what passes for football these days. I feel sorry for myself that these days are gone , never to be repeated but also for the fans today (especially kids) who have to accept a third rate, expensive product played largely by absolute donkeys.

No more hero worship these days.

19 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

The 1970s for me and not because we won the ECWC in 1972.

I have Follow Followed since the mid 60s but always was taken by my auld man or my uncle or, when I got older, had to ask  money from my parents to go to games - which wasn't always available.

In 1977 I left school and started work so from seasons 1977 to 1980 - before I went to Uni -  I could pay my own way and watch The Rangers whenever I wanted.

That my first season, 1977-78 - was a treble winning one under Jock Wallace helped a great deal!

^^^doesn't count the 60s and 70s when Celtic were winning 9 in a row.

2 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

2000s for me. Particularly the first half of the decade.

Other than the fact Clyde were at the top end of the Championship...

Some of the teams were outstanding. Arsenal, AC Milan and Real Madrid in particular. 

The Champions League was much more entertaining to watch and less set up for the same few teams to succeed. 

The 2002 World Cup was brilliant. Euro 2004 was excellent, too, especially with Greece winning it and beating the hosts twice in the process.

The kits were much smarter back then, too. The total 90 template in particular is a classic. And the boots. Adidas Preddies 😍

Social media was in its infancy back then so c*nts like Neymar and Jessie Lingaard weren’t a thing.

And the early 2000s was my heyday with Strathaven Dynamos U14s to U17s!

Great achievement but Greece would've got football stopped.

1977 - 1987. Started with Fergie’s Furies, ended with Aber’ lifting the Scottish Cup. Now, I understand 1977-1987 isn’t a decade, but for St Mirren fans like me, ‘of a certain age’, those ten years were probably the best any of us will ever experience.

As a Dons fan of a certain age it should be the 80’s but for me it will always be the 70’s

We were on holiday in Aberdeen the day Martin Buchan lifted the cup, I was a lad, a tiny wee lad, but we had family at Hampden that day and I remember the celebrations vividly.
Yes we had the trauma of 71 when we should have won the league, we sold Buchan and Harper, the ‘78 final ( but Steve Ritchie’s goal [emoji23])
However we had Ally, Billy and then some guy from St. Mirren. We had Zoltan Varga and some guy called Miller made his debut. We had Bobby Clark’s clean sheet record. We avoided relegation on the last day of the season from the first Premier Division (by goal difference IIRC?)
Davie “The Brush” Robb
Drew Jarvie
The return of the “King of the Beach End”
The actual Beach End
My first ever game at Pittodrie (5-3 vs Dundee United)
Seeing Kenny Dalglish in the flesh at Pittodrie (and several other past “greats”)
The genuine belief before Argentina.
WC 74
And..... the League Cup in 76. 5-1 vs oldco in the semi and Ally going pure tonto, then actually winning the final in extra time. Oh and that strip![emoji7]

I know the 80’s were just magical but I genuinely have a tear in my eye just remembering all that I’ve just posted about the 70’s

On 04/02/2021 at 00:07, pozbaird said:

1977 - 1987. Started with Fergie’s Furies, ended with Aber’ lifting the Scottish Cup. Now, I understand 1977-1987 isn’t a decade, but for St Mirren fans like me, ‘of a certain age’, those ten years were probably the best any of us will ever experience.

Same

Competitive league with great teams

Scotland were decent

English teams full of Scots often their lynchpins

Then Souness arrived and it all changed