Your favourite football decade

23 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

I am an Aberdeen fan, do you really need me to tell you! emoji23.png

It's an often overlooked fact that we one 5 Aberdeenshire Cups throughout the 80s. Impressive. 

Edited by coprolite
Won not one. Fucking illiterate

Tough one as a StMirren fan as I was born mid 80s and there has been way more downs than ups since I've been going to the games in the early 90s.

Probably the 10s. Cup win and an impressive league title against the odds. Even that period includes some horrific football on show.

00's were ok, Gus stabilised the club then established us as a top flight club after way too long spent in the First Divisoin barring 1 poor SPL campaign under Hendrie.

90s were a write off apart from probably the best season watching the Saints under Tom Hendrie. Not enough to make that the best decade though, the club was on its knees staring into the abyss.

The 00s. It was just an absolute rollercoaster which came off the rails more than once. From seeing, players like Caniggia, Ravanelli & Nemsadze wearing a Dundee top to Neil Barrett, Kelvin Jack and Eddie Mearns was some come down, but we looked to be getting back on track, appointed Jocky Scott and had a new millionaire benefactor to take us back to the top. Optimism reigned supreme.

The one we're in the now is looking pretty good, finishing 5th last season and currently sitting 5th this, and in a cup final. Shite with a virus fucking everything up for fans not actually being able to be at games to watch them and cheer the players on right enough.

As a Dons fan definitely the 80's - fortunate enough to have been in Gothenburg, however, it was also great domestically, probably more so because there was definite competition from Dundee Utd and Hearts.  It was also a time when football was still affordable to the masses - look at the crowd when a corner is being taken - was mostly kids then but now (and definitely in England) it's tourists with cameras or middle aged season ticket holders only.

As a Scotland fan definitely the 90's as I was fortunate enough to go to two world cups and two European Championships - fantastic times to be a fan.

Fell out of love with club football for several seasons in the 10's beofre returning to Pittodrie periodically....however, not convinced I will be regular any time soon as the football has been brutal for quite sometime now and definitely overpriced.

As a football fan in general it has to be the 80s.

Scotland reached both World Cups, club teams reached European finals and there was a very competitive league which saw wins by Aberdeen and Dundee United and Hearts going very close.

For my own team(Beith Juniors) it has to be the decade just past.

Won the Scottish Junior Cup for the first time in our history, won 2 league titles and competed in the Scottish Cup 3 times.

Having watched my club for over 40 years I never thought I'd see days like that.

With us now moving over to the Pyramid hopefully the future decades can see us pushing on further. 

Edited by WilliamBragg

14 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Tough one as a StMirren fan as I was born mid 80s and there has been way more downs than ups since I've been going to the games in the early 90s.

Probably the 10s. Cup win and an impressive league title against the odds. Even that period includes some horrific football on show.

00's were ok, Gus stabilised the club then established us as a top flight club after way too long spent in the First Divisoin barring 1 poor SPL campaign under Hendrie.

90s were a write off apart from probably the best season watching the Saints under Tom Hendrie. Not enough to make that the best decade though, the club was on its knees staring into the abyss.

It's the 10s for me as well. It had the cup win, a swaggering league win, two great escapes, players like Thommo, McGinn, McLean, Teale, Isma, Goodwin, Hladky, Morgan and various other legends at the club for part of it, and we played some great football.at times under both Lennon and Ross.

Had a few horrendous lows as well, in the Craig, Murray, Rae and Stubbs disasters, and the cup final we don't mention was right at the start of 2010, but they were all followed up pretty quickly by more highs.

My favourite decade is the 70s. 1970 was the year that I started following Aberdeen everywhere in Scotland. Before 1970 I had only been to Pittodrie, Dens and Tannadice,  but during the decade I made every ground in Scotland bar Dumfries, Coatbridge and East Stirlingshire. Obviously from a purely football aspect nothing can beat the 80s, but for new experiences like winning the Scottish Cup, new grounds, new pubs, new train stations, nothing can touch the 70s for me.

Guest Bob Mahelp

I didn't realise that there was any other decade than the 80's. 

I was lucky enough to be in Munich, Genk for the semi final, and then Gothenburg. The buzz will never leave me. 

Chuck in a few league titles, some Scottish cups, a couple of league cups,  a European super cup, Spandau Ballet and Wham, and it wasn't a bad time.