When would you like to have lived?

Bairnardo

I was born in '91 but I'd like to have been old enough to really appreciate the 90s. You only ever hear people say good things about the 90s (except Celtic fans) and it sounds like it was just a decade long night oot.

There's loads of times and places I'd like to visit for a few days - I'd imagine living the rest of your life there would get old pretty quickly though after living in the 21st century though...off the top of my head:

Weimar Berlin

Victorian London

Paris in the couple of decades after WW2

I'd also like to see what the likes of Glasgow and Edinburgh looked (and probably smelled) like as they evolved ...spend a day in each maybe once a century since they were founded and watch them grow from what we'd probably call villages these days.

6 hours ago, Detournement said:

I would liked to have lived in the days when smoking was still good for you.

image.jpeg.85a1e7aedc474cd06dac18fb375e799f.jpeg

Vintage Cigarette Ad Spokespeople - Business Insider

Hank died this week aged 86. The Camel snouts obviously worked wonders.

His baseball legacy is that he's left lots of tips for the younger generations of players.

7 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Being part of the Roman gentry during the rise of Julius Caesar and then through the reigns of Augustus and Tiberius would have been fucking magnificent, IMO. Living through the days of Nero probably would have been the most interesting / debauched as long as you’d kept on the right side of the mad fucker.

Oh aye because the gentry were totally safe during Caesar and Augustus' time, what with two of the most bloody civil wars in the ancient world and the proscription lists. And Tiberius was worse than Epstein.

Still, all this talk of seeing bands from the 60s/70s will hopefully lure that loser @JayCrawford away from clogging up the Music forum with his weekly, bottle of Grants' fuelled fail.

6 hours ago, Detournement said:

Not even that. Before running water in houses personal hygiene must have been horrific.

99% of people would be humming.

But, because everyone was smelly, nobody was. Same principle as eating garlic: if everyone eats it you cant smell it. I think.

In the 60s and 70s you had to be stupendously unhygienic to even register as honking, or "bugsy" in the Lanarkshire vernacular.

It'll not be long before you'll be able to strap on a headset and visit a convincing simulation of the major points of history. Might take a bit longer before you can experience the mystique of a mid-70s midweek cup tie at Brockville, but give it time.

Pretty much anyone who says they'd love to have lived at, as opposed to just visited, a point in history is only saying so because they've never had to. We'd all be horrified by the realities that our ancestors lived through.

53 minutes ago, virginton said:

Oh aye because the gentry were totally safe during Caesar and Augustus' time, what with two of the most bloody civil wars in the ancient world and the proscription lists. And Tiberius was worse than Epstein.

Still, all this talk of seeing bands from the 60s/70s will hopefully lure that loser @JayCrawford away from clogging up the Music forum with his weekly, bottle of Grants' fuelled fail.

Here he comes, raging because Morton got their arses felt by a bunch of fellow bottom feeders

8 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

I was born in '91 but I'd like to have been old enough to really appreciate the 90s. You only ever hear people say good things about the 90s (except Celtic fans) and it sounds like it was just a decade long night oot.

Had some decent nights/days/weeks out tbh.

8 hours ago, Detournement said:

Not even that. Before running water in houses personal hygiene must have been horrific.

99% of people would be humming.

Not forgetting the enormous amount of horse shit on every street.  Definitely a very fruity time.

21 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Not forgetting the enormous amount of horse shit on every street.  Definitely a very fruity time.

They still had milk horses in Edinburgh until the early 1980s. Folk used to come out with a bucket and spade and collect the horseshite for their roses.

4 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

I was born in 81 so maybe about five years earlier so I'd be a good age for the rise of Britpop, the first TITP and Oasis at Knebworth 

If I'd been born five years earlier I'd have been a good age for the New Romantics and then The Smiths.

I was around for Britpop. I wasn't that fussed about it because I'd quite liked the Madchester stuff that had come a few years before. Oasis were good though.