This is what 80s babies grew up with.

JayCrawford

I admire a man who moves to the beat of his own drum Jay. While the rest of the country enjoyed that rich seam of creativity that was post punk, this is you in 1978 taking your fashion cues from The Osmonds. Kudos to you my young friend.

1666492498_jaycrawford.jpg.09f4cdc3fc7db0f8791ed7048a09af69.jpg

I used to listen to Jay Crawford's lunchtime show quite a lot back in the 80s.

While Radio 1 were spoon feeding the 80s hits to the masses, Jay would slip in bits of Free, Bad Company and even Led Zeppelin, so credit to him for resisting the onslaught.

He also did lots of great interviews with touring rockers that I found interesting. 

The 80s was a confusing time for music, imo - probably because the technology was changing all the time - some of the music was good, and some of it wasn't so good.

Pop music peaked around 1979, imo - I can't stand modern pop music, but that's fine because I'm not meant to like it, and it's not aimed at me - it's also not that important - it's just pop music.

We do love our pop music, though, don't we? 

Not that there's anything wrong with that. 

10 hours ago, paranoid android said:

I used to listen to Jay Crawford's lunchtime show quite a lot back in the 80s.

While Radio 1 were spoon feeding the 80s hits to the masses, Jay would slip in bits of Free, Bad Company and even Led Zeppelin, so credit to him for resisting the onslaught.

He also did lots of great interviews with touring rockers that I found interesting. 

The 80s was a confusing time for music, imo - probably because the technology was changing all the time - some of the music was good, and some of it wasn't so good.

Pop music peaked around 1979, imo - I can't stand modern pop music, but that's fine because I'm not meant to like it, and it's not aimed at me - it's also not that important - it's just pop music.

We do love our pop music, though, don't we? 

Not that there's anything wrong with that. 

Was Jay as permanently raging then as he is now?

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

You'd have thought that the number of years that have passed since being knocked back by Radio 1 because he didn't fit the "profile" required, he would have let it go.  Seems not.  I was reliably informed at the time by someone who knew him well-ish that, as he went to North Berwick High School rather than the required Public/posh schools, he wasn't a suitable candidate.  Or maybe he just wasn't what they were looking for professionally.

Maybe he dodged a bullet there as, if you look at the DJs who were on Radio 1 in the 70s & 80s, most have now become bitter, relevance chasing embarrassments  - or are in the jail for "misdemeanours".  He's filling P & B with a dose of the former.

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I think he could be a bit full of himself, but he seemed quite chilled - probably had a much nicer lifestyle than most of us.

Last I heard he was talking about his struggle with tinnitus. 

He obviously considered himself a bit of a local celebrity - I mind one time he said he was going to play in a charity pre-celebrity golf event, and someone asked him which celebrity he was paired with! :lol: