The January Meh-ctacular- Killie v Saints - 30/1/21

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

What you’re seeing today is what we’ve seen for the majority of the season. Soft in both boxes, plenty of territory and attempts at pretty patterns but ultimately zero substance. 

Killie maybe have a manager who can’t change a match when it gets going. We have a manager who gets it wrong most weeks and is too stubborn to make changes during the game. 

You’ve been complaining about the system, now it’s been changed, you’re complaining? 

Watching the replay, is Zander too far over for the 1st goal?
I don't think he's great at either goals tbh. Think he should be quicker off his line for the second rather than claiming. Neither are his "fault" so to speak. Just more to add to the list where you'd think a better keeper might have stopped them.

Odd that in many respects we've been better than Wednesday. Lacking in the two main departments though.

Yeah this so far is on the players, specifically the defenders. 

Can't defend our own box really, every week there's at least one instance of a striker, unmarked, about 10 yards out. 

1 minute ago, Bose said:

You’ve been complaining about the system, now it’s been changed, you’re complaining? 

If the point you're making is that neither goal was anything to do with the formation, I agree. That's all on the defence who, let's be fair, have not been a major issue in recent games. 

I'm still thinking we can pull out a draw here. But then again, I'm a bit drunk. 

Terrible by Tanser, and to a lesser extent McCart, backing off to 8 yards from goal, then getting his body shape all wrong. Simply invited the shot from Burke, who's ripping us apart every time they come forward.  Not sure if Zander was a bit unsighted?

For the second, Rooney weakly attempts to block the cross, whilst the rest of the defence back off and stand watching Killie's forwards go for the ball. McCart has a fresh air swipe and Tshibola is standing alone 4 yards from goal.

We've put this on a plate for Kilmarnock. A stuffy team who can be hard to break down, and we've gifted them a great lead to protect.

We've looked decent on the ball but it's all for nothing due to the circus defending.

The frustrating thing for me is that we have a good squad of players out there, all capable of doing great things on their day, but they never seem to be on their day at the same time. Thing are sometimes said to be "greater than the sum of their parts," Saints this season often feel the opposite.

2 minutes ago, Bose said:

Does that change the other matches that have gone before? It’s essentially the same back 8 as always, the same gaping hole between the defence and the midfield, the same inability to deal with long balls and cross balls at the back the same inability to deal with midfield runners and we still look incapable of actually putting away the chances that we do create  

It’s pretty clear where the issues lie in the squad and none of them have been properly addressed. The defensive frailties had diminished somewhat in the last few games but they’re there for all to see again today and frankly in the game where they probably matter most. 

it’s a big 45 minutes for Davidson for me. I’m really doubting his ability to turn things around as he doesn’t seem to be able or willing to address the issues in the squad. 

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah this so far is on the players, specifically the defenders. 

Can't defend our own box really, every week there's at least one instance of a striker, unmarked, about 10 yards out. 

This, I can’t see how anyone can put this down to the manager. Fans got what they have wanted for weeks

9 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Still got the fear about killie on the break.

Nah, they look like they settled for 2-0 during the break tbh.