The January Meh-ctacular- Killie v Saints - 30/1/21

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its just reminded me didn't actually beat Partick at Firhill in 2007.

2-0 down after 90 minutes yet bagged 2 goals in added time.

I can remember bits about that game and day one of a good few drunken days enjoyed with Edinburgh Saints back in those days, it finished 2-2, Saints got a very late penalty and scored to make it 2-1 Partick kicked off and literally booted the ball up the park giving saints the ball back, I believe there is still a video somewhere on YouTube of highlights from that game featuring the very shouty easily excitable Partick tv commentator.

The 1972 game was what Brian Doyle came up with when we came back from two down to draw against Livingston last season. It was a comeback from 2-0 at half-time as a top flight club. Obviously we drew that game so the win today eclipses it.

Think we came back from two down to draw with St Mirren at home in 2009/10 as an example of it happening but we didn't have the two-goal deficit at half-time. 

Today might be added to the list but the three games folk always seem to think of, and are mentioned, are the Cliftonhill game, the Coca-Cola Cup game at Tynecastle and doing it against Dunfermline on Boxing Day 1994.

We threw away a two-goal HT lead against Dunfermline to lose 3-2 in a Scottish Cup tie at EEP in 2001. 

6 minutes ago, Radford said:

The 1972 game was what Brian Doyle came up with when we came back from two down to draw against Livingston last season. It was a comeback from 2-0 at half-time as a top flight club. Obviously we drew that game so the win today eclipses it.

Think we came back from two down to draw with St Mirren at home in 2009/10 as an example of it happening but we didn't have the two-goal deficit at half-time. 

Today might be added to the list but the three games folk always seem to think of, and are mentioned, are the Cliftonhill game, the Coca-Cola Cup game at Tynecastle and doing it against Dunfermline on Boxing Day 1994.

We threw away a two-goal HT lead against Dunfermline to lose 3-2 in a Scottish Cup tie at EEP in 2001. 

I mind that 09/10 game well, we were rotten that day and robbed St Mirren with two late goals. Think a handball on the line from their player in the last minute. Sheerin brought off the bench specifically to take the penalty wasn't it?

Edit: Getting confused with Hardie being brought on to take (and score) a free kick that season!

Edited by subtleapple

So is today the first time since 1972 that Saints have come from 2-0 to win a game? This post and the one on Twitter both mention coming back to win from a 2-0 half time deficit, so has there been an occasion since where either.
1.Saints were 2-0 down and got 1 or more goals back in first half before coming back to win
2.Saints went 2-0 down in the second half and came back to win.
P.s If can anyone here remember a time Saints surrendered a 2-0 lead to loose 3-2
That's an unbelievable stat. I can think of half a dozen times Saints have come back from 2 down to win since the 80s just off the top of my head.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, Thomas_sjfc said:
So is today the first time since 1972 that Saints have come from 2-0 to win a game? This post and the one on Twitter both mention coming back to win from a 2-0 half time deficit, so has there been an occasion since where either.
1.Saints were 2-0 down and got 1 or more goals back in first half before coming back to win
P.s If can anyone here remember a time Saints surrendered a 2-0 lead to loose 3-2

That's an unbelievable stat. I can think of half a dozen times Saints have come back from 2 down to win since the 80s just off the top of my head.

Please tell me about these occasions I assume you are talking about the Saints who have recently had multiple top 6 finishes recently, have recently won the Scottish cup and who regularly competed in  Europe for a spell from 2012 -17.

I can remember a game against Partick thistle in the seventies at Muirton when we went two up very early and Thistle came back to lead 4-2 before halftime. Pretty sure it finished 4-2.
Also another at Easter Road when we were 3-0 up with less than 20 minutes to play and it finished 3-3.

Tanser definitely flicks the boot at the Killie player. Not sure where I stand on the SPFL sticking that in the highlights. Don't do the crime etc... but equally, it kind of is them setting an agenda when it was so innocuous at the time. 

Far, far worse goes unpunished.

I'd guess the moon howling of Rangers fans over Morelos being banned for stamping on someone's knee will see Tanser cited, simply so the SPFL can say they punish players from every club.

Please tell me about these occasions I assume you are talking about the Saints who have recently had multiple top 6 finishes recently, have recently won the Scottish cup and who regularly competed in  Europe for a spell from 2012 -17.
Eh ? What has any of that got to do with recovering from 2v0 deficits. Your taking my post as some sort of dig, it was nothing of the sort. I am genuinely surprised St Johnstone haven't done it more often was simply my observation. My comparison with my own team was simply because it's all I had to compare with.